Ads not shown when logged in
Page 4 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Disappointment of the week

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Good grief Moby ,I can feel your pain.I had that pub on my "to do" list having missed out on it during london calling's crawl around the area.Might well have to reconsider.Thanks for the heads up.
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post
    Good grief Moby ,I can feel your pain.I had that pub on my "to do" list having missed out on it during london calling's crawl around the area.Might well have to reconsider.Thanks for the heads up.
    I wonder if there has been a disastrous change of management, it was excellent on my first visit on the crawl.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

My disappointment was the Sussex in Twickenham, not because there was anything wrong with the pub but my first pint was hazy and the second cloudy. I drank them as they tasted OK but a GBG listed pub should be better than this as it was in the other two listed pubs visited.

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    My disappointment was the Sussex in Twickenham, not because there was anything wrong with the pub but my first pint was hazy and the second cloudy. I drank them as they tasted OK but a GBG listed pub should be better than this as it was in the other two listed pubs visited.
    My pal had to reject two pints last month at the Sussex, one cloudy, one pure mud.
    My disappointment of the week is that Otis could ever be described as 'crap'!

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    My disappointment this week is The Fox . After almost making my pub of the month in February a return visit was demanded, upon entering at about 2 0 clock Saturday with my three drinking companions I orderd a pint of Kent Cascade which the barman struggled to pull efficiently and no surprise as the barrel went as he was half way through pulling the second pint, I tasted mine and it was decent enough so stuck with it. Companion 1 chose something else which was poured and placed on the bar with a near 2 inch head, a top up was requested and to our collective amazement the young barman proceeded to top up the deficient pint from the half glass of the recently expired Cascade, a totally different beer ,a new pint was demanded and was poured and at that point ,that barrel went. In the meantime companion 2 had obtained for himself a pint of mild which he said was quite nice so companion 1 said I'll have that then, you guessed it the barrel went ,so three down two left to choose from ,both by Tiny Rebel so they should be decent, so companions 1 and three still without a beer just chose from one of the two beers left which were poured successfully we went to sit at table at which point it was discoverd both the latter beers were sour and undrinkable they were left undrunk and we all left with two who had not been there vowing to never return and leaving myself and Steve who had an enjoyable visit a couple of months ago wondering what the hell had happened to this pub.During our short stay we learnt it was only the young barmans second day in the job and he obviously hadn't been trained in any proper way, there was a young female also behind the bar but she seemed equally clueless. There also did not seem much urgency to replace the missing beers, I too will have to think hard about making another visit here in the near future.
    I was in there a week last Friday and had a pint of Hopcraft -reign of terriore and it was spot on.Luck of the draw maybe.You should have tried the self service bottle beer machine that they have installed.The first in the county apparently and could not be any worse than that barman.

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    My pal had to reject two pints last month at the Sussex, one cloudy, one pure mud.
    Last time I was in the Sussex Arms, I thought the beer quality was excellent. Admittedly, that was a while ago. From what I can recall there was a much publicised change of management in the summer of 2013, with reviews being rather mixed ever since.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    I was in there a week last Friday and had a pint of Hopcraft -reign of terriore and it was spot on.Luck of the draw maybe.You should have tried the self service bottle beer machine that they have installed.The first in the county apparently and could not be any worse than that barman.
    I hope your right about the luck of the draw as I really liked this pub first time round, but given the turn of events that day, you really couldn't make it up. I will try again as it was excellent in Feb. Didn't even notice the bottle machine, to many distractions at the bar.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by aleandhearty View Post
    Last time I was in the Sussex Arms, I thought the beer quality was excellent. Admittedly, that was a while ago. From what I can recall there was a much publicised change of management in the summer of 2013, with reviews being rather mixed ever since.
    Since it opened too many beers not enough customers although it gets busy.They use the scattergun approach to picking beers .They want new beers from new brewers but if a beer is in good condition but its a minger they still have to sell 70 pints of it. There was recent critisim of on here of a micro pub .Was it Just Beer who use the same approach and as a ticker I know this way of selecting your beer will get you more duds than good ones.
    Last edited by london calling; 05-05-2014 at 23:58.

This Space For Hire

My disappointment was visiting the George and Dragon Acton home to the new Dragonfly brewery.They have ruined a really good pub and the beers as I suspected (knowing the brewer) were rubbish.

My disappointment of the week is Brakspear beers.
    Back in the 70s Brakspear were a revered brewer along with Young's. Today I bumped into Brakspear bitter at the Station House in Chingford and although well kept it was pathetic. I just felt lucky that it was only £1.99 a pint but the Banks's Mild which I tried before and was only £1.70 was as good a pint of it as I can remember drinking.
    Shortly afterwards I came across Oxford Gold in the King's Ford Spoons and again it was completely bland, maybe there should be a thread for boring pale beers. I was even more annoyed to later find that the Oxford Gold was an "uninvited guest". The GBG description of these two bears no resemblance to what I drank today.
    Of course, Brakspear is really Wychwood now and I can't think of a single beer worth drinking from that brewery. Their Status Quo branded Piledriver was as boring as having to listen to a Quo record.