Ads not shown when logged in
Page 32 of 36 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast

Thread: Disappointment of the week

Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    I used to like Pride under the old brewer/recipe, but I also find its ubiquity disheartening.

I don't like a huge head by any means, but I can't imagine my super Five Points Railway Porter yesterday without it.

I think you're probably right about stillage. My last experience of the stuff was at The Bree Louise but, landlady aside, I had no complaints at the otherwise excellent https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/22805/; her departure would get the score up markedly.
    In my opinion I thought the Bree Louise struggled for quality in its last few years. definetely a case of too many beers, particularly on stillage.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    In my opinion I thought the Bree Louise struggled for quality in its last few years. definetely a case of too many beers, particularly on stillage.
    Absolutely agree, to the point that I avoided it even when working nearby (and others couldn't be persuaded to go somewhere with better beer on the occasions when we went for a post-work drink).

In my experience, albeit limited, I would never chose a beer from stillage; I find they taste dead.
    Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    You should visit the Halfway House at (or outside) Brenchley in Kent. Nothing dead about the beers there!
    I think you're probably right about stillage. My last experience of the stuff was at The Bree Louise but, landlady aside, I had no complaints at the otherwise excellent https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/22805/; her departure would get the score up markedly.
    Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post
    Absolutely agree, to the point that I avoided it even when working nearby (and others couldn't be persuaded to go somewhere with better beer on the occasions when we went for a post-work drink).
    To bring this discussion back to where we started, I think one of the things that encourages licensees to use tight sparklers and swan necks on beers that weren't ever intended to be served that way (apart from serving short measure with a big frothy head) is that it gives the beer the appearance of being fresh when it's not. This is particularly so in pubs where the turnover of beer (or of particular beer types) is not sufficient to get all the beer sold before it shows signs of being past its best. If, on the other hand, they're serving the beers straight from the barrel, there's no hiding place.
    Come On You Hatters!

To bring this discussion back to where we started, I think one of the things that encourages licensees to use tight sparklers and swan necks on beers that weren't ever intended to be served that way (apart from serving short measure with a big frothy head) is that it gives the beer the appearance of being fresh when it's not. This is particularly so in pubs where the turnover of beer (or of particular beer types) is not sufficient to get all the beer sold before it shows signs of being past its best. If, on the other hand, they're serving the beers straight from the barrel, there's no hiding place.
    Still in full agreement mode...

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post
    Not sure at the time where anyone would go for a quality drink/pub round there. There's now the Euston Tap and Scottish Stores (now down to serving just Hammerton's N1) and I doubt the Queen's Head was what it is now.

Struggled for hygiene - smell those lavs throughout the pub (the carpet wasn't a highpoint either).

The beers tasted raw and without condition.

The service was terrible - I remember a very brusque barman (possibly the manager?) who was so covered with tattoos and piercings that he resembled a lizard. On my last visit - post my review - I asked for a pint and the barmaid picked up a one-third full pint from a random drip tray and then topped it up with my choice! I wonder if the manager had lost heart, given that it was to close: then and now.

Not sure at the time where anyone would go for a quality drink/pub round there. There's now the Euston Tap and Scottish Stores (now down to serving just Hammerton's N1) and I doubt the Queen's Head was what it is now.
    Nothing like the same range, but it was usually The Doric Arch, The Euston Flyer, Mabel's Tavern, The Square Tavern or the Resting Hare.

Don't recall ever having a bad pint in any of these, but sometimes less is more.

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

That's a good point.Also CAMRA have gone to a lot of trouble in the GBG breweries section to (I assume) ask the brewer how their ale should be served, with sparkler or no sparkler,although not all brewers respond.It's a shame therefore when a publican ignores this bit of sensible advice.Just as some ales can be altered by a tight sparkler,drinking a Timothy Taylor ale served "southern" style can be equally disappointing. I do like a good lacing down my empty pint glass when in Keighley.
    Last edited by Bucking Fastard; 07-02-2022 at 11:08.
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Quinno View Post
    two of the three Sams pubs in west London I tried to tick of yesterday were shut!!
    The Gazebo Kingston was shut yesterday .Another Sam's pub.

This Space For Hire

When drinking at home I always have a dark beer to finish but tonight's beers was a pale reddish/pink.i had bought a pavlova pastry sour rather than the pastry stout I thought it was.Drat!

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    When drinking at home I always have a dark beer to finish but tonight's beers was a pale reddish/pink.i had bought a pavlova pastry sour rather than the pastry stout I thought it was.Drat!
    A shock to the system.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields