Ads not shown when logged in
Page 30 of 35 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 ... LastLast

Thread: Disappointment of the week

Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    I suppose disappointments are relative: went to The Wenlock Arms to find the bar blocked by seated barholes. When I finally managed to see what was on offer, there were 7/10 pumps in use (eight if you count the one used disrespectfully as a kitchen towel dispenser) almost all with beers below 4%, the plus being Redemption's Fellowship.
    I was there on Thursday evening (27th) between 20:15 and 21:05 - exactly the same situation. Bar blockers not content to just sit and talk but actually leaning towards the hand pumps as if deliberately obscuring them. And a rather disappointing Redemption Fellowship Porter 5.1% - very bland. I also had Block Best Bitter 4% (brewed on the premises) and Mighty Oak Captain Bob 3.8%, which were ok but unspectacular.
    Come On You Hatters!

This Space For Hire

Good to see the Earl of Essex has again got cask.Used to be a must visit pub when I was in the area.

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    I was there on Thursday evening (27th) between 20:15 and 21:05 - exactly the same situation. Bar blockers not content to just sit and talk but actually leaning towards the hand pumps as if deliberately obscuring them. And a rather disappointing Redemption Fellowship Porter 5.1% - very bland. I also had Block Best Bitter 4% (brewed on the premises) and Mighty Oak Captain Bob 3.8%, which were ok but unspectacular.
    Almost ended up there last Friday, glad I didn't now, Instead opted for the Southampton Arms followed by The Kings Arms, both were excellent as usual, I don't think either have ever let me down.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    ...opted for the Southampton Arms followed by The Kings Arms, both were excellent as usual, I don't think either have ever let me down.
    As it happens, I was also at the Southampton Arms on Thursday - in the afternoon, when it's quiet. Of the eight hand pumps, two had beers from Thornbridge, two were from Buxton and one from North Brewing - as I pointed out to the lad behind the bar, I didn't come all the way from Sheffield to drink northern* beers! - and the Bristol Beer Factory offering was a chocolate mint stout , which left me with Howling Hops We Buy Teeth 5.5% (an American Brown) and Elusive Brewing Microball 3.7% (a dark MILD). Neither of which were particularly memorable.

* for the purpose of this rant, I'm treating Buxton and Bakewell as being in the north. I do know that they're in Derbyshire and therefore officially midlands.
    Come On You Hatters!

As it happens, I was also at the Southampton Arms on Thursday - in the afternoon, when it's quiet. Of the eight hand pumps, two had beers from Thornbridge, two were from Buxton and one from North Brewing - as I pointed out to the lad behind the bar, I didn't come all the way from Sheffield to drink northern* beers! - and the Bristol Beer Factory offering was a chocolate mint stout , which left me with Howling Hops We Buy Teeth 5.5% (an American Brown) and Elusive Brewing Microball 3.7% (a dark MILD). Neither of which were particularly memorable.

* for the purpose of this rant, I'm treating Buxton and Bakewell as being in the north. I do know that they're in Derbyshire and therefore officially midlands.
    Some people are just so hard to please.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post
    Nicholson's have a lot of pubs in and around London,and I would say that the dumbing down of the ale selection has been company policy since well before Covid.Once they got St Austell to brew their Nicholson's Pale,the offering often seems to be another St Austell ale,Tribute along with Sharp's Doom Bar and Fuller's London Pride.In London you may find a guest besides these regulars ,or you may not.
    I found worse than that in Nicholson's White Swan in Covent Garden last week: eight hand pumps, but just two ciders and Northern Monk Eternal IPA available. Apologies from the bar man, with the absence of other beers blamed on delivery problems.

Away from London, Nicholson's Scarbrough Hotel in Leeds had nine hand pumps yesterday (Sunday), with eight of them active: Eternal IPA was on here too, plus Tetleys and Landlord, both doubled, and Oakham Citra, Doom Bar and Leeds Pale. When I had been here exactly one week before, they looked like they were also the victims of delivery problems, with Tetleys doubled and just one other beer. When I asked for the Tetleys it had reached the bottom of the barrel, but the barman just poured mine from the other pump, which was connected to a different barrel.
    Come On You Hatters!

This Space For Hire

Pretty much mirrors my experience on Saturday. Less busy than Friday when I didn't go in for lack of space, but on the Saturday it was less busy and about five bar hogs were congregating in front of the pumps with their backs to them, with another five or so of their friends talking to them; however, my pint of the Fellowship was excellent. I had exactly this problem at The Cock Tavern last Sunday, so had to carry on travelling up to The Rochester Castle (JD Wetherspoon) which is actually now quite good.

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    Good to see the Earl of Essex has again got cask.Used to be a must visit pub when I was in the area.
    Yes. A huge improvement, both of my pints were excellent; I didn't have time to sample the Plateau and with any luck, they'll get the other two pumps up and running.

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    Almost ended up there last Friday, glad I didn't now, Instead opted for the Southampton Arms followed by The Kings Arms, both were excellent as usual, I don't think either have ever let me down.
    Yup. Both great choices, me not having been to the King's Arms for about 15 years until two months ago.

Yes. Their recent opting for Thornbridge beers is a bit mainstream and the BBF chocolate mint stout does sound awful. Then again, I discovered BBF's Espresso Dubs milk stout this week and found it excellent. And don't forget the Southampton was responsible for my Wild Weather Maple Latte the other week, which tasted like drinking a half of butterscotch flavour Angel Delight.

This Space For Hire

Got to say although I tick lots of new beers at the Southampton I cannot remember ever getting a great pint.They tend to be a bit flat for my liking.

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    Got to say although I tick lots of new beers at the Southampton I cannot remember ever getting a great pint.They tend to be a bit flat for my liking.
    They don't put a sparkler on - it comes out exactly as though pouring straight from the barrel. Not all beers taste great that way.
    Come On You Hatters!

This Space For Hire

They don't put a sparkler on - it comes out exactly as though pouring straight from the barrel. Not all beers taste great that way.
    All cask beers should be pulled through a sparkler.