Ads not shown when logged in
Page 29 of 35 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast

Thread: Disappointment of the week

This Space For Hire

As from tonight back in my cage drinking supermarket beers due to the latest virus news.

Real Ale Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    Visited on Thurs and discovered that the long-feared sword of Damocles is set to fall on Porters Railway in January.

Attachment 2708
    Was there 3 weeks ago and they were talking of a possible reprieve for a bit. Terrible news it's defo to go. A great pub.
    Last edited by Al Bundy; 15-12-2021 at 14:38.

This Space For Hire

My hotly anticipated pint, ruined by keg.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    My hotly anticipated pint, ruined by keg.
    A casualty of Covid presumably. The handpumps were there two years ago - ah happy days...
    On leaving the bar, I felt a strong blow to the back of my head. Turning round, I discovered it was the pavement

Just Missed the Round Brainypool's Avatar

A few people have mentioned the recent deterioration of Nicholsons pubs, and I hoped it would be a temporary Covid thing. But sadly not, it appears. my latest visit to the Philharmonic saw all 10 handpumps in action - but every single one serving boring standard national beers. Not a single local or even regional ale in sight. At this point, I'm thinking it must be a change in company policy. The rubbish piped music seems to have gone several notches louder too. Not sure I'll bother with it again for a while.

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brainypool View Post
    A few people have mentioned the recent deterioration of Nicholsons pubs, and I hoped it would be a temporary Covid thing. But sadly not, it appears. my latest visit to the Philharmonic saw all 10 handpumps in action - but every single one serving boring standard national beers. Not a single local or even regional ale in sight. At this point, I'm thinking it must be a change in company policy. The rubbish piped music seems to have gone several notches louder too. Not sure I'll bother with it again for a while.
    Nicholson's have a lot of pubs in and around London,and I would say that the dumbing down of the ale selection has been company policy since well before Covid.Once they got St Austell to brew their Nicholson's Pale,the offering often seems to be another St Austell ale,Tribute along with Sharp's Doom Bar and Fuller's London Pride.In London you may find a guest besides these regulars ,or you may not.

My last visit to the Philharmonic was in 2019 and the ale selection and conditioning was dire.I didn't update my review ,assuming that being an occasional visitor I just got unlucky on the night.Maybe not from what you have said.
    Last edited by Bucking Fastard; 27-01-2022 at 11:27.
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

This Space For Hire

I was in the Railway richmond .They had about 10 pumps with 8 with London Pride clips.Did not linger.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    I was in the Railway richmond .They had about 10 pumps with 8 with London Pride clips.Did not linger.
    I can hear Samuel Barber's Adagio for Strings playing.

two of the three Sams pubs in west London I tried to tick of yesterday were shut!!

This Space For Hire

I suppose disappointments are relative: went to The Wenlock Arms to find the bar blocked by seated barholes. When I finally managed to see what was on offer, there were 7/10 pumps in use (eight if you count the one used disrespectfully as a kitchen towel dispenser) almost all with beers below 4%, the plus being Redemption's Fellowship. I left and popped down the road to The Old Fountain and despite there being standing room only, there were just two out of five pumps in use: Oakham Citra and Five Points Railway Porter.
    Some salvation came in the form of The Earl of Essex with three quality cask ales on; I hadn't realised that cask had been reintroduced and the place is vastly improved for it too.