Ads not shown when logged in
Page 22 of 35 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Thread: Disappointment of the week

Quote Originally Posted by Pangolin View Post
    Fear not - it has already re-opened.
    I can confirm this as I was on the first train out of Leeds that could get to Carlisle yesterday morning.

Disappointment of last week was a pint of Dark Star Hophead, not enjoyed in The Albion.It doesn't taste anything like the beer it was a few years ago when, for me, it was up there among the elite, it's taste seems to be progressively changing for the worse in my opinion, it is no longer bitter or citrusy. Not an isolated experience either unfortunately.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    Disappointment of last week was a pint of Dark Star Hophead, not enjoyed in The Albion.It doesn't taste anything like the beer it was a few years ago when, for me, it was up there among the elite, it's taste seems to be progressively changing for the worse in my opinion, it is no longer bitter or citrusy. Not an isolated experience either unfortunately.
    I haven't seen it for ages despite still being one of the permanent JDW guests.

Disappointment of last week was a pint of Dark Star Hophead. It doesn't taste anything like the beer it was a few years ago when, for me, it was up there among the elite, it's taste seems to be progressively changing for the worse in my opinion, it is no longer bitter or citrusy. Not an isolated experience either unfortunately.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    ...one of the permanent JDW guests.
    Could there be any connection between these two apparently unconnected statements? Brewing in bulk with cheaper ingredients? Less attention to detail in a hurry to meet deadlines? Delivering to pubs "just in time" with consequent lack of settling time?
    Come On You Hatters!

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    Could there be any connection between these two apparently unconnected statements? Brewing in bulk with cheaper ingredients? Less attention to detail in a hurry to meet deadlines? Delivering to pubs "just in time" with consequent lack of settling time?
    It's also - if you're lucky - a regular guest in Fuller's pubs. I had a pint of it in the Charles Lamb on Saturday and it seemed fine, but as it's their house staple, perhaps they take greater care of it.

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    I would say so, in fact I think I have posed those questions before somewhere or other.
    -W.C.Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    It's also - if you're lucky - a regular guest in Fuller's pubs. I had a pint of it in the Charles Lamb on Saturday and it seemed fine, but as it's their house staple, perhaps they take greater care of it.
    It's not just the point about quality for me , the beer itself has totally changed in taste, Its a different beer altogether from five years ago IMO.
    -W.C.Fields

This Space For Hire

It's not just the point about quality for me , the beer itself has totally changed in taste, Its a different beer altogether from five years ago IMO.
    That may be it as I don't think I'd discovered it five years ago, in which case for me it hasn't changed.
    My problem is Pride which is now undrinkable. To me it now tastes like it's synthesized at the same Porton Down facility as Doom.

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

The George,Croydon.

Any pub that has Burning Sky Aurora (5.6%) and Thornbridge Jaipur (5.9%) as regular ales in the 2020 Good Beer Guide ,among a selection from 15 handpumps must be a winner,but a recent change of management has brought with it a complete changing in beer policy at The George.Gone are the two terrific regulars,no sign of any more output from Oakham,Saltaire or Salopian with all handpumps now devoted to the trio of Doom and 12 barrels from the Wetherspoons "clearing price " range featuring an array of poor brewers trying to shift unwanted beer,with on my last visit 10 ales between 3.8% and 4.3%.

More than a decade of regular use has now come to an end.Once a shining beacon in the Wetherspoons empire,now just another run of the mill 'spoons.I've written to Tim but will this do any good ?

The pub was noticeably quiet on Sunday before the Palace game.

It's back to The Green Dragon
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post
    The George,Croydon.

Any pub that has Burning Sky Aurora (5.6%) and Thornbridge Jaipur (5.9%) as regular ales in the 2020 Good Beer Guide ,among a selection from 15 handpumps must be a winner,but a recent change of management has brought with it a complete changing in beer policy at The George.Gone are the two terrific regulars,no sign of any more output from Oakham,Saltaire or Salopian with all handpumps now devoted to the trio of Doom and 12 barrels from the Wetherspoons "clearing price " range featuring an array of poor brewers trying to shift unwanted beer,with on my last visit 10 ales between 3.8% and 4.3%.

More than a decade of regular use has now come to an end.Once a shining beacon in the Wetherspoons empire,now just another run of the mill 'spoons.I've written to Tim but will this do any good ?

The pub was noticeably quiet on Sunday before the Palace game.

It's back to The Green Dragon
    Jaipur seems to be a rarity nowadays in JDWs. The dumbing down of choice seems to have been going on for a few years now. Some idiot at the Wanstead George thinks that stocking beers from Marston's is a good idea. They've had a couple of beers in from a brewery called Signal that have been complete rubbish.