Ads not shown when logged in
Page 19 of 35 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: Disappointment of the week

Euston's (sorry, I'm not going to argue over "areas") Somers Town Coffee House. I had high hopes, especially after seeing Tris' recent review, but my weeknight visit saw 9 of the 12 handpumps with reversed clips (the 12th was Rosie's Pig Cider). The sole bitters being Courage and Directors - the latter of which ran out as I was waiting to be served. I cut my losses and had a bottle of Anchor Steam. *sad face*
    "Breakneck speed we drown ten pints of bitter"

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Day visit to Lille found most of the researched targets in 'Vieux Lille' closed until 15:00/16:00/17:00(!), well that's no effin use to day trippers, or even local shoppers, is it?
    I should have made travelling (booze) arrangements before going 'airside' at Lille on return, but no option for wine or even coffee at the Eurostar lounge - seriously?
    Back at St P the Betjeman offered an embarrassingly poor range of beers (eh Ubu, Youngs Gold) - is this what many visitors to the country/capital may first encounter? Absolutely pathetic!
    Mine was ok, but RJ's beer at Scottish Stores was as flat as a pancake - they have previous on that score.

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

There I was in Craft Beer Co. Islington enjoying a fine real ale session when I noticed a keg tap dispensing Marble Lagonda IPA,so I had to try it.

What a disappointment,it was bland with only the faintest hint of the complex hop character that bursts from the cask version.Once bitten,twice shy.
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post
    There I was in Craft Beer Co. Islington enjoying a fine real ale session when I noticed a keg tap dispensing Marble Lagonda IPA,so I had to try it.

What a disappointment,it was bland with only the faintest hint of the complex hop character that bursts from the cask version.Once bitten,twice shy.
    Oh dear, used to be excellent.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Finding The Jackalope closed after making the effort to get there after their Facebook page stated it would be open at 3 pm yesterday, they have decided to tweet today that they will reopen on the 2nd of Jan, I replied that , that was very helpful. I know this period between Christmas and New Year is a bit of a minefield with regards to what is and isn't open , but if some pubs gave a little thought , it needn't be, there wasn't even a note on the door or window.
    -W.C.Fields

This Space For Hire Real Ale Ray's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    Finding The Jackalope closed after making the effort to get there after their Facebook page stated it would be open at 3 pm yesterday, they have decided to tweet today that they will reopen on the 2nd of Jan, I replied that , that was very helpful. I know this period between Christmas and New Year is a bit of a minefield with regards to what is and isn't open , but if some pubs gave a little thought , it needn't be, there wasn't even a note on the door or window.
    Drives me bloody mad that! Happened to us numerous times, most recently in Johnny's Alehouse, Burslem - no note on the door, nothing. Apparently the owner went away for a few days. Then in Stroud we walked up the steepest hill to a pub that was supposed to open at 2, of course this was wrong and it was 3. We couldn't face the trek back down the hill, only to come back up again, so sat on a bench in the village. An old lady came out of her house and asked were we hikers or lost, and would we like to come in for a cuppa. And after all that, the pub was quite a disappointment...
    'I only drink on two occasions, when I'm thirsty and when I'm not'
    Brendan Behan

Of all the Spoons outlets I only found one closed and that was in Monmouth where an internal wall was liable to collapse. I've subsequently found one in Newport closed for a quick refurb. Micropubs are another matter and I would advise against special journeys to visit any for the fist couple of weeks in January. I'll be breaking that rule but I'm not really fussy about having to do revisits or holing up in a JDW and it's Kent from St Pancras.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post

Funnily enough, I was in there last night and saw this but wasn't tempted due to the availability of cask options - that and the £5.50 price tag. I had a pint (well three) of the Magic Rock's Ringmaster which has a flavour that belies its 3.9% ABV, making it an excellent session ale. I do wish though that this branch would make use of all ten pumps though, as the only other options were Clerkenwell Pale (bland) 3.9% then it's either a stout or two options at 5.5% or 6% which for me is not a session ale.

If it makes you feel any better, I had exactry the same problem with the same pub back in November. Facebook stated they would be open until 10pm on Saturday evenings, so I turned up at 7pm only to find the pub in darkness with the chairs stacked on the tables and not a soul in sight. Annoying but at least I was in central London and not some village in the middle of nowhere - that's when it really hurts!

Quote Originally Posted by Pubsignman View Post
    If it makes you feel any better, I had exactry the same problem with the same pub back in November. Facebook stated they would be open until 10pm on Saturday evenings, so I turned up at 7pm only to find the pub in darkness with the chairs stacked on the tables and not a soul in sight. Annoying but at least I was in central London and not some village in the middle of nowhere - that's when it really hurts!
    True, It's just that with the accessibility to social media nowadays its easy to put the word out, It seems they couldn't be bothered, I have no problem with pubs taking a week off at this time of year , just give the punters a clue.
    -W.C.Fields