Ads not shown when logged in
Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast
Results 171 to 180 of 182

Thread: Disappointment of the week

  1. #171
    I'll stay on me own
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Preston
    Posts
    422

    Default

    The new reeking of malt smell of the Sheffield Tap. Previously the wooden furniture newish smell was quite reminiscent each time I visited.

  2. #172
    I'll stay on me own
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Preston
    Posts
    422

    Default

    And the new layout to the Devonshire Cat in Sheffield is appalling. Now a pretentious central rectangular bar

  3. #173
    This Space For Hire
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Brentford
    Posts
    1,624

    Default

    There is a new London brewery called Nirvana who do low and no alcohol beers. Tried a bottle of Cosmic Stout 0.0 Smelt like Horlicks and tasted like Horlicks.Nasty stuff imo .Surprised as thought that they would be nearer the taste of beer than this stuff.Drank a small sample (enough for a tick )in the Wenlock.£4.50.Not cheap for a soft drink?

  4. #174
    This Space For Hire Aqualung's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    3,017

    Default

    Yesterday was something of a disaster. The plan was to visit this BCA outlet that they list as Willenhall but the reality is that it's in the middle of nowhere in suburbia. I'd printed off a map with the bus stops and got on the 69 bus from Wolverhampton Bus Station. I knew the route as far as New Cross Hospital and it was soon after there that I realised there may be a problem. It was raining and I could see an obstructed view through the bus windscreen but the steamed up side windows were covered in gunge from road salting and snow so I could see virtually nothing through them. It soon became clear that I was in Walsall where I got off the bus and went off piste into a rather dull pub called the Oak before getting the bus back. I should have asked the driver to let me know when the bus arrived at Woodlands school. "Get a smart phone" I hear someone cry. I won't be doing that any time soon.
    On the plus side I had an extended stop in the Great Western! The Duke of Cambridge will have to wait another day when hopefully the bus windows will be clean.

  5. #175
    Pub researcher (unpaid) rpadam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in the Low Weald
    Posts
    2,567

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    Yesterday was something of a disaster. The plan was to visit this BCA outlet that they list as Willenhall but the reality is that it's in the middle of nowhere in suburbia. I'd printed off a map with the bus stops and got on the 69 bus from Wolverhampton Bus Station. I knew the route as far as New Cross Hospital and it was soon after there that I realised there may be a problem. It was raining and I could see an obstructed view through the bus windscreen but the steamed up side windows were covered in gunge from road salting and snow so I could see virtually nothing through them. It soon became clear that I was in Walsall where I got off the bus and went off piste into a rather dull pub called the Oak before getting the bus back. I should have asked the driver to let me know when the bus arrived at Woodlands school.
    I am hoping to get there soon, but the location is really the splendidly named New Invention...

    Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    "Get a smart phone" I hear someone cry. I won't be doing that any time soon.
    Why ever not - it helps you find pubs in strange places!
    Last edited by rpadam; 28-01-2018 at 10:40.

  6. #176
    This Space For Hire sheffield hatter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    2,371

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    I should have asked the driver to let me know when the bus arrived at Woodlands school. "Get a smart phone" I hear someone cry. I won't be doing that any time soon.
    Commiserations! In Derbyshire the buses have a display with the name of the next stop. Some of them have an automated announcement: "We are now approaching Woodlands School", they would have said (if only the Duke of Cambridge was in Derbyshire).
    Come On You Hatters!

  7. #177
    This Space For Hire sheffield hatter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    2,371

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post
    the splendidly named New Invention...
    There's one of those in Shropshire, too. No pub, unfortunately.

    [Possible explanation for the name here.]
    Last edited by sheffield hatter; 28-01-2018 at 10:44.
    Come On You Hatters!

  8. #178
    This Space For Hire Aqualung's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    3,017

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post
    I am hoping to get there soon, but the location is really the splendidly named New Invention...
    I spotted that the bus was going via New Invention, the current area Short Heath seems to be just as valid (not that I want to start arguing about it!!).

    Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post
    Why ever not - it helps you find pubs in strange places!
    People messing around with these things really annoys me so it would be hypocritical of me to join in. The best thing I ever saw was at Highbury & Islington Overground where a bloke had just missed the train and in disgust threw his phone quite hard on to the platform, hopefully smashing it to bits. I resisted the temptation to tell him he needed anger management classes. The other one that makes me want to clap and cheer is people who miss their bus at a request stop because they are too busy messing with their phone.

  9. #179
    This Space For Hire Aqualung's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    3,017

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    Commiserations! In Derbyshire the buses have a display with the name of the next stop. Some of them have an automated announcement: "We are now approaching Woodlands School", they would have said (if only the Duke of Cambridge was in Derbyshire).
    The only West Midlands bus I can remember seeing this is the famous number 1 which is the key to getting to Sarah Hughes from Wolverhampton. It also has the announcements by a woman with a delightful Black Country accent rather than the toffee nosed voices used elsewhere.

  10. #180
    Old & Bitter oldboots's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    God's Own County
    Posts
    4,159

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    hopefully the bus windows will be clean.
    Whatever would our dirty bus window photographers do then ?

    Tell us, now, how and when
    We may find the bravest men?
    A sure test, an easy test:
    Those that drink beer are the best

Similar Threads

  1. Paul Bailey's Beer Blog - Disappointment on the Beer Front
    By Blog Tracker in forum Blog Tracker
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-07-2013, 21:50
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-06-2012, 11:45
  3. The Pub Curmudgeon - Estate of disappointment
    By Blog Tracker in forum Blog Tracker
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-03-2012, 09:14
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 27-12-2010, 11:48
  5. Shut up about Barclay Perkins - Boddington's disappointment
    By Blog Tracker in forum Blog Tracker
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-07-2010, 22:40

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •