Ads not shown when logged in
Page 18 of 35 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: Disappointment of the week

This Space For Hire

The new reeking of malt smell of the Sheffield Tap. Previously the wooden furniture newish smell was quite reminiscent each time I visited.

This Space For Hire

And the new layout to the Devonshire Cat in Sheffield is appalling. Now a pretentious central rectangular bar

This Space For Hire

There is a new London brewery called Nirvana who do low and no alcohol beers. Tried a bottle of Cosmic Stout 0.0 Smelt like Horlicks and tasted like Horlicks.Nasty stuff imo .Surprised as thought that they would be nearer the taste of beer than this stuff.Drank a small sample (enough for a tick )in the Wenlock.£4.50.Not cheap for a soft drink?

Yesterday was something of a disaster. The plan was to visit this BCA outlet that they list as Willenhall but the reality is that it's in the middle of nowhere in suburbia. I'd printed off a map with the bus stops and got on the 69 bus from Wolverhampton Bus Station. I knew the route as far as New Cross Hospital and it was soon after there that I realised there may be a problem. It was raining and I could see an obstructed view through the bus windscreen but the steamed up side windows were covered in gunge from road salting and snow so I could see virtually nothing through them. It soon became clear that I was in Walsall where I got off the bus and went off piste into a rather dull pub called the Oak before getting the bus back. I should have asked the driver to let me know when the bus arrived at Woodlands school. "Get a smart phone" I hear someone cry. I won't be doing that any time soon.
    On the plus side I had an extended stop in the Great Western! The Duke of Cambridge will have to wait another day when hopefully the bus windows will be clean.

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    Yesterday was something of a disaster. The plan was to visit this BCA outlet that they list as Willenhall but the reality is that it's in the middle of nowhere in suburbia. I'd printed off a map with the bus stops and got on the 69 bus from Wolverhampton Bus Station. I knew the route as far as New Cross Hospital and it was soon after there that I realised there may be a problem. It was raining and I could see an obstructed view through the bus windscreen but the steamed up side windows were covered in gunge from road salting and snow so I could see virtually nothing through them. It soon became clear that I was in Walsall where I got off the bus and went off piste into a rather dull pub called the Oak before getting the bus back. I should have asked the driver to let me know when the bus arrived at Woodlands school.
    I am hoping to get there soon, but the location is really the splendidly named New Invention...

"Get a smart phone" I hear someone cry. I won't be doing that any time soon.
    Why ever not - it helps you find pubs in strange places!
    Last edited by rpadam; 28-01-2018 at 11:40.

I should have asked the driver to let me know when the bus arrived at Woodlands school. "Get a smart phone" I hear someone cry. I won't be doing that any time soon.
    Commiserations! In Derbyshire the buses have a display with the name of the next stop. Some of them have an automated announcement: "We are now approaching Woodlands School", they would have said (if only the Duke of Cambridge was in Derbyshire).
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post
    the splendidly named New Invention...
    There's one of those in Shropshire, too. No pub, unfortunately.

[Possible explanation for the name here.]
    Last edited by sheffield hatter; 28-01-2018 at 11:44.
    Come On You Hatters!

I am hoping to get there soon, but the location is really the splendidly named New Invention...
    I spotted that the bus was going via New Invention, the current area Short Heath seems to be just as valid (not that I want to start arguing about it!!).

Why ever not - it helps you find pubs in strange places!
    People messing around with these things really annoys me so it would be hypocritical of me to join in. The best thing I ever saw was at Highbury & Islington Overground where a bloke had just missed the train and in disgust threw his phone quite hard on to the platform, hopefully smashing it to bits. I resisted the temptation to tell him he needed anger management classes. The other one that makes me want to clap and cheer is people who miss their bus at a request stop because they are too busy messing with their phone.

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    Commiserations! In Derbyshire the buses have a display with the name of the next stop. Some of them have an automated announcement: "We are now approaching Woodlands School", they would have said (if only the Duke of Cambridge was in Derbyshire).
    The only West Midlands bus I can remember seeing this is the famous number 1 which is the key to getting to Sarah Hughes from Wolverhampton. It also has the announcements by a woman with a delightful Black Country accent rather than the toffee nosed voices used elsewhere.

hopefully the bus windows will be clean.
    Whatever would our dirty bus window photographers do then ?