Ads not shown when logged in
Page 16 of 36 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: Disappointment of the week

This Space For Hire Real Ale Ray's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post
    I got this second hand from aem,but apparently the young barman at The Craven Arms ,Birmingham has left which is a crying shame as he was responsible for the outstanding ale range here.Apparently Black Country Ales want the pub to revert to a more mainstream ale policy.

None of this explains the ommission of The Craven Arms from the 2017 GBG,this apparently as a result of politics in the local CAMRA branch ,who must have felt that the ale in there was just too good.

All very depressing
    Here's an interesting article about it:

http://beer-writings.blogspot.ie/201...l?spref=fb&m=1
    'I only drink on two occasions, when I'm thirsty and when I'm not'
    Brendan Behan

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Agreed BF. A reversal of beer policy will undoubtedly see this (currently) excellent little pub disappear without trace, whence it came...
    Didn't make local GBG? That's a travesty!

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    Agreed BF. A reversal of beer policy will undoubtedly see this (currently) excellent little pub disappear without trace, whence it came...
    Didn't make local GBG? That's a travesty!
    It would have been pulled from the GBG as standard procedure if the branch knew about a change of manager before it went to print.
    Although it's a good pub, I was underwhelmed by the place. Five quid for Magic Rock Dark Arts in the West Midlands is a joke. Magic Rock are a good brewery but I could name over six that are as good or better. If Magic Rock were charging them a price that meant they had to sell it at five quid they should have gone elsewhere for the beer. Black Country beers aren't rubbish, they are just old school West Midland beers. Getting a beer in at any cost seems a stupid thing for a pub to do.

This Space For Hire

I got this second hand from aem,but apparently the young barman at The Craven Arms ,Birmingham has left which is a crying shame as he was responsible for the outstanding ale range here.Apparently Black Country Ales want the pub to revert to a more mainstream ale policy.

None of this explains the ommission of The Craven Arms from the 2017 GBG,this apparently as a result of politics in the local CAMRA branch ,who must have felt that the ale in there was just too good.

All very depressing
    He has gone to work for Blue Monkey.

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    He has gone to work for Blue Monkey.
    That brewery will be a great match,always striving for beer excellence.
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    It would have been pulled from the GBG as standard procedure if the branch knew about a change of manager before it went to print.
    But he only left very recently,while the GBG was printed in August .I prefer the conspiracy theory anyway to explain why it wasn't included in the 2017 version.
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

But he only left very recently,while the GBG was printed in August .I prefer the conspiracy theory anyway to explain why it wasn't included in the 2017 version.
    Fair enough, you know more about the background than I do. The selections for the guide would have to have been in by (I think) March. Of course this means it is always over six months out of date. At least the lad has what should be a good new employer, Blue Monkey is one I would have given as being as good or better than Magic Rock.

All very depressing
    Now that really is bad news.

The Craven Arms was, for me, the "go to pub" in Brum. The service was excellent and the beer choice always top notch. Worth making a special trip for and never felt moved to leave for anywhere else. I think that it's unlikely an offer of Black Country Ales will exert the same draw.

This Space For Hire

He used to be and maybe still is a beer ticker.He tried to bring a more varied range of beers but if the pub lost its Camra beer guide place its not unreasonable to think the brewery may be upset whatever the reason.

This Space For Hire

My disappointment of the week was another visit to the Sussex Arms Twickenham their beer range seems to be from the cheapest brewers they can source.Again poor tasting beers served ice cold.