Ads not shown when logged in
Page 11 of 35 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Disappointment of the week

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    I can't help thinking that some of these older micros like Titanic, Butcombe and most definitely Cottage are selling out. I don't hold Titanic with the same regard that others seem to and if I'm honest the same goes for Oakham. I'm not saying that Oakham or Titanic are rubbish like Cottage, but when I get to try their beers they are good but rarely outstanding.
    Nearly twenty years ago I went to Stafford to try a Titanic tied house right by the station. It was a hot day and the beers were coming up luke warm and completely disappointing.
    Given that East Midland cheap discounted singles have risen by nearly three quid this year maybe I should visit Stoke, a place I've never been to and know more about the pots from watching saddo daytime TV antique shows than the pubs!
    Oakham can do no wrong for me and Titanics Chocolate and Vanilla Stout is outstanding, IMO.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    I am glad you are not saying Titanic or Oakham are rubbish.
    I'm certainly not but I would apply that tag to Cottage. What I'm really getting at is do these two brewers deserve the adulation they seem to get compared to some of the new kids on the block? Notice I haven't mentioned Dark Star until this point as for me they are ahead of Titanic and Oakham. I'm a big fan of Holden's and Batham's but it's as much to do with their tied houses as the actual beer.
    If I was locked in a room with a full range of Oakham, Titanic and Blue Monkey beers but with the choice limited to just one of the breweries I would go for the Blue Monkey.
    Last edited by Aqualung; 11-01-2015 at 08:50.

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

If I was locked in a room with a full range of Oakham, Titanic and Blue Monkey beers but with the choice limited to just one of the breweries I would go for the Blue Monkey.
    I think we all agree that opinions about beer are totally individualistic,but given that you spend a lot of time in Wetherspoons ,I was wondering if this has coloured your view of Titanic and Oakham given the very variable condition that ale can be served in 'spoons.Do you rate Blue Monkey so highly because you sampled it in one of their tied houses ? You might find a trip to a Titanic pub in Stoke on Trent would give a better experience of their beers.
    Last edited by Bucking Fastard; 11-01-2015 at 09:28.
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post
    I think we all agree that opinions about beer are totally individualistic,but given that you spend a lot of time in Wetherspoons ,I was wondering if this has coloured your view of Titanic and Oakham given the very variable condition that ale can be served in 'spoons.Do you rate Blue Monkey so highly because you sampled it in one of their tied houses ? You might find a trip to a Titanic pub in Stoke on Trent would give a better experience of their beers.
    Yes, although I only used Blue Monkey as one of several possibilities, I was thinking of what I tried in the Loughborough Organ Grinder. The two Blue Monkey beers I tried in London pubs (not Spoons) were not that great even though both are GBG listed!
    I don't believe it is entirely a Spoons quality issue as I've tried Oakham and Titanic beers in all sorts of condition over the years. On a good day they are superb but as in the George a few weeks ago the Bishop's Farewell was not that great.
    I agree with you, it's high time I went for some beers in Stoke for the first time ever and a Titanic pub or two plus the Spoons will be at the top of my agenda. I've also got the Oakham brewery tap in my sights.
    My point really is that quite a few of the new outfits are producing beers as good or better than the pioneers from twenty years ago.

The reason for posting the news of the change to White Star in Disappointment of the Week is that well kept, as it invariably is in Titanic's own houses, White Star is as good a beer as I've tried. Well worth trying in either the White Star, Stoke, the Bull's Head in Burslem or the Royal Exchange in Stone.

Notice I haven't mentioned Dark Star until this point as for me they are ahead of Titanic and Oakham.
    Dark Star - Conference South. Titanic, Oakham - Top 5 Premiership.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Thuck Phat View Post
    The reason for posting the news of the change to White Star in Disappointment of the Week is that well kept, as it invariably is in Titanic's own houses, White Star is as good a beer as I've tried. Well worth trying in either the White Star, Stoke, the Bull's Head in Burslem or the Royal Exchange in Stone.

Dark Star - Conference South. Titanic, Oakham - Top 5 Premiership.
    Dark Star + Oakham = champions league.Titanic -Europa league.

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

DOTW yesterday was a visit to Putney Bricklayers, only to find every one of the 9(?) pumps offering beer from Cottleigh Brewery. Shoddy cellar planning.
    Could have been a double-joker, but left after one.

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    DOTW yesterday was a visit to Putney Bricklayers, only to find every one of the 9(?) pumps offering beer from Cottleigh Brewery. Shoddy cellar planning.
    Same thing happened on my trip at the end of last season.
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    Unfortunately this pub appears to be on a downward spiral if my last two visits are anything to go by, a great shame.
    Last edited by Mobyduck; 08-03-2015 at 16:04.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Bucking Fastard left this review about The Bricklayers Arms
    It's a small pub but the outside is adorned with signs showing off the various CAMRA awards that have been collected over the years,so my expectations were high on a visit before a Fulham v Palace match over the river.Few Fulham fans inside,but the modest interior was rammed with Palace fans,no doubt attracted by the 2014 GBG entry.The interior is unchanged from previous reviews and the beer garden is quite large and can accomodate a lot of overflow if the weather is good.The owners had decided to show case Cotleigh ales with Tawny Owl,25,Commando Hoofing,Barn Owl.Honey Buzzard,Old Buzzard and Long Eared Owl as the only real ale options.I found this policy somewhat strange,I have never rated Cotleigh beers and on sampling three of the choices my drinking companions and I came to the same decision that their beers are predominately malty,with little difference apart from strength.The very definition of booring brown beer.Maybe the owners are Fulham fans none too keen on away supporters,but their ale policy on my trip had the desired affect,we pushed off in search of better options.
    It is quite possible we were unlucky,but I would be wary of a return if the team here feel that Cotleigh is a decent brewer.Now if they had been showcasing Marble..................................
    On 12th May 2014 - rating: 6
    [User has posted 1077 recommendations about 1077 pubs]

I'm not a big fan of Cottleigh, but if all the beers were from Marble I think it would be my turn to complain!
    Come On You Hatters!