Ads not shown when logged in
Page 35 of 35 FirstFirst ... 25333435

Thread: Disappointment of the week

This Space For Hire Real Ale Ray's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post
    Great Western

One of my all time top 10 ,now downgraded from full marks due to some bright spark in the Holden's marketing department making "improvements".A dumbed down ale range didn't help,but the earthy ,lived in feel has been replaced by an antiseptic atmosphere. For a Friday it was suspiciously quiet by 6.30pm.A crying shame.
    Yes we found the same, definitely not the same pub at all. On our last visit, every single ale was Holden's. We popped in before Christmas last year to find Black Iris Endless Summer as the guest - a miracle! Kept us there for a while, as Holden's definitely wouldn't float my boat. A shame indeed.
    'I only drink on two occasions, when I'm thirsty and when I'm not'
    Brendan Behan

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Wenlock Arms

In for a session last night and confronted by ale not in good condition and no attempt to bring on fresh barrels as the evening wore on .Once the NBSS 1.5 Oakham Green Devil IPA was withdrawn,the choice was down to 4 ,with two very similar low strength beers (Thornbridge Astryd NBSS 3,Dark Star Hophead NBSS 2) and two very similar best bitters Mighty Oak Nirvana and North Brewing Seasons Reverse both NBSS 3.No sign of any dark beers and a lot of handpumps unused.

Maybe I was unlucky visiting on a Friday before a long bank holiday weekend,but it was noticeable that the pub was not that busy once the after work crowd moved off,and the customer base then was almost exclusively younger drinkers paying little attention to the real ale.

After reading Blue Scrumpy's most recent review I did wonder if the focus at this pub is now moving away from ale excellence.We pushed off to get a better drinking experience in the Old Foutain,another pub in this area which has slipped down the rankings over the years but which at least offered a decent pint of Oakham Citra..

Can anyone offer any salvation about the Wenlock ? Were we just unlucky ?
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

Wenlock Arms

In for a session last night and confronted by ale not in good condition and no attempt to bring on fresh barrels as the evening wore on .Once the NBSS 1.5 Oakham Green Devil IPA was withdrawn,the choice was down to 4 ,with two very similar low strength beers (Thornbridge Astryd NBSS 3,Dark Star Hophead NBSS 2) and two very similar best bitters Mighty Oak Nirvana and North Brewing Seasons Reverse both NBSS 3.No sign of any dark beers and a lot of handpumps unused.

Maybe I was unlucky visiting on a Friday before a long bank holiday weekend,but it was noticeable that the pub was not that busy once the after work crowd moved off,and the customer base then was almost exclusively younger drinkers paying little attention to the real ale.

After reading Blue Scrumpy's most recent review I did wonder if the focus at this pub is now moving away from ale excellence.We pushed off to get a better drinking experience in the Old Foutain,another pub in this area which has slipped down the rankings over the years but which at least offered a decent pint of Oakham Citra..

Was in a couple of weeks ago and was served up a pint of Marble Manchester Bitter that was decidedly hazy, not normal for this beer but actually really tasted fine, I saw the governor glance at it a couple of times from behind the bar but he never said anything but did take the beer off, clearly end of barrel but actually tasted excellent so I kept with it. I've long thought though that the landlord has lost interest in the pub.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

This Space For Hire

Wenlock Arms

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    Was in a couple of weeks ago and was served up a pint of Marble Manchester Bitter that was decidedly hazy, not normal for this beer but actually really tasted fine, I saw the governor glance at it a couple of times from behind the bar but he never said anything but did take the beer off, clearly end of barrel but actually tasted excellent so I kept with it. I've long thought though that the landlord has lost interest in the pub.
    I go quite frequently and haven't had a problem, so perhaps luck had a hand in it; maybe the ale choice was, as mentioned, due to the impending Bank Holiday.

This Space For Hire

Wenlock Arms

A visit yesterday found two unused clips, one reversed the four pale ales, one best and the very fine Mighty Oak's Saxon Strong. Not a great selection by any stretch but perhaps it picks up from Thursday. I was in there with a friend on a Tuesday and all pumps were in operation with us sampling just the Five Points Railway Porter in fine condition.

Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    A visit yesterday found two unused clips, one reversed the four pale ales, one best and the very fine Mighty Oak's Saxon Strong. Not a great selection by any stretch but perhaps it picks up from Thursday. I was in there with a friend on a Tuesday and all pumps were in operation with us sampling just the Five Points Railway Porter in fine condition.
    I was back in for a couple this afternoon, a reletively deserted pub, three punters plus myself, nine of the ten handles in use but mostly low strength session pales apart from the Saxon Strong, I did however enjoy my hour here with a good soundtrack featuring JJ Cale, George Harrison , David Crosby, Buffalo Springfield and Traffic amongst others. Beers sampled , on cask, Siren Mesmerist and Marble 1874.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

This Space For Hire

I was back in for a couple this afternoon, a reletively deserted pub, three punters plus myself, nine of the ten handles in use but mostly low strength session pales apart from the Saxon Strong, I did however enjoy my hour here with a good soundtrack featuring JJ Cale, George Harrison , David Crosby, Buffalo Springfield and Traffic amongst others. Beers sampled , on cask, Siren Mesmerist and Marble 1874.
    I thought I'd give the place an hour's road test yesterday from 9.30pm 'til 10.30. Including those outside (who would have been indoors if but for the weather) the place was essentially full with a mixed crowd (some on the oche), a younger group of five arriving around 10.00.
    Aside from an unused pump, ales amounted to;

Mighty Oak - Oscar Wilde Mild.
    Marble - 1847 (vegetarian pale ale).
    Siren - Mesmerist.
    Five Points - Gold.
    Dark Star - Hophead.
    Mighty Oak - Saxon Strong.
    Mighty Oak - Burntwood Bitter.
    Brew York - Bitter.
    Derby Brewing - Penny’s Porter.

Apart from the porter (4.6%) and Saxon Strong (6.5%) all the others were 4% or lower, so not a great selection in terms of strength but a reasonable choice of styles and with 9/10 pumps on with a full crew and good atmosphere, the place didn't really disappoint; a half of Allsopp's IPA (5.9%) had next door at the newly reopened William IV would have been a good addition here on the unused pump, but the Brew York Bitter and the Saxon Strong were in faultless condition.

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    I thought I'd give the place an hour's road test yesterday from 9.30pm 'til 10.30. Including those outside (who would have been indoors if but for the weather) the place was essentially full with a mixed crowd (some on the oche), a younger group of five arriving around 10.00.
    Aside from an unused pump, ales amounted to;

Mighty Oak - Oscar Wilde Mild.
    Marble - 1847 (vegetarian pale ale).
    Siren - Mesmerist.
    Five Points - Gold.
    Dark Star - Hophead.
    Mighty Oak - Saxon Strong.
    Mighty Oak - Burntwood Bitter.
    Brew York - Bitter.
    Derby Brewing - Penny’s Porter.

Apart from the porter (4.6%) and Saxon Strong (6.5%) all the others were 4% or lower, so not a great selection in terms of strength but a reasonable choice of styles and with 9/10 pumps on with a full crew and good atmosphere, the place didn't really disappoint; a half of Allsopp's IPA (5.9%) had next door at the newly reopened William IV would have been a good addition here on the unused pump, but the Brew York Bitter and the Saxon Strong were in faultless condition.
    Gents many thanks for your up to date advice.I will have to conclude that I was unlucky .The Wenlock will remain on the list.
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

This Space For Hire

Looking forward to two fat ladies but ended up with a cup of tea at The Nightingale on the Green. It's strange how things can change in over a decade and not always for the better.