Ads not shown when logged in
Page 20 of 35 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Thread: Disappointment of the week

Technically Disappointment Of Last week, but having to pay £4.70 for a pint of drinkable but not mind blowing , Dark Star Hophead in a pub in Esher , It is of course a Fullers Pub.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Komakino View Post
    Euston's (sorry, I'm not going to argue over "areas") Somers Town Coffee House. I had high hopes, especially after seeing Tris' recent review, but my weeknight visit saw 9 of the 12 handpumps with reversed clips (the 12th was Rosie's Pig Cider). The sole bitters being Courage and Directors - the latter of which ran out as I was waiting to be served. I cut my losses and had a bottle of Anchor Steam. *sad face*
    Euston isn't an area, it's a railway station in Somers Town.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    Technically Disappointment Of Last week, but having to pay £4.70 for a pint of drinkable but not mind blowing , Dark Star Hophead in a pub in Esher , It is of course a Fullers Pub.
    I think that currently all Fuller's pubs sporadically have Hophead as a guest which saves me from London Shame (which on the last two samplings gave me a stomach ache) or their other bland low ABV brews.
    My personal disappointment of the week was ordering a pint of Ilkley Brewing's Mary Jane a couple of nights ago. It tasted like a mouthful of autumnal leaves, partially burnt in a garden bonfire - not sure if it's meant to taste like this?

Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    My personal disappointment of the week was ordering a pint of Ilkley Brewing's Mary Jane a couple of nights ago. It tasted like a mouthful of autumnal leaves, partially burnt in a garden bonfire - not sure if it's meant to taste like this?
    I don't think so.
    -W.C.Fields

According to the JDW tasting notes Hophead is a single hop ale which is Cascade. I wonder if it's always been that way. I don't know enough about all the hops nor have I drunk it enough to form any definite opinion. Jaipur has six but Citra isn't included and it's been dropped by JDW as a permanent national guest. I feel this is a shame but I haven'r seen it in a JDW since I completed the tour.

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    According to the JDW tasting notes Hophead is a single hop ale which is Cascade. I wonder if it's always been that way. I don't know enough about all the hops nor have I drunk it enough to form any definite opinion. Jaipur has six but Citra isn't included and it's been dropped by JDW as a permanent national guest. I feel this is a shame but I haven'r seen it in a JDW since I completed the tour.
    According to Dark StarAmarillo hops are also involved, I am convinced the recipe has changed since the early days, the beer lost its "edge" a number of years ago, (pre - Fullers) In my view.
    Jaipur is still a cracking pint despite some others insisting Thornbridge are on the slide, I don't agree but then I don't get to drink their beers as regularly as I would like.
    -W.C.Fields

This Space For Hire

I think that currently all Fuller's pubs sporadically have Hophead as a guest which saves me from London Shame (which on the last two samplings gave me a stomach ache) or their other bland low ABV brews.
    One of their flagship beers but has never impressed me.

This Space For Hire

According to Dark StarAmarillo hops are also involved, I am convinced the recipe has changed since the early days, the beer lost its "edge" a number of years ago, (pre - Fullers) In my view.
    Jaipur is still a cracking pint despite some others insisting Thornbridge are on the slide, I don't agree but then I don't get to drink their beers as regularly as I would like.
    You are both right Cascade and Amerillo
    Thornbridge are one of my fav brewers and have drank at least 6 new beers from them in the last year that I though were superb.Nicolson pubs seem to have them on regularly.

This Space For Hire

Drunk several days apart, thanfully. I don't think I could have survived them back-to-back.

Siren: Yu Lu.

"Brewed with Earl Grey tea and lemon zest". Tastes to me of bubblegum and parma violets, with a nip of TCP. And all of 3.6%.

Laine: Mangolicious.

Described as 'frivolous'. I couldn't finish it and felt a bit sick on the way to the next pub. Even after two pints of Proper Job, I could still taste it. It was like drinking a pint of Benylyn.

Are these beers actually brewed with fruit juice and so on or do, as I suspect, they just have essential oils added at the last minute and hence the 'chemical' tastes?

This Space For Hire

Drunk several days apart, thanfully. I don't think I could have survived them back-to-back.

Siren: Yu Lu.

"Brewed with Earl Grey tea and lemon zest". Tastes to me of bubblegum and parma violets, with a nip of TCP. And all of 3.6%.

Laine: Mangolicious.

Described as 'frivolous'. I couldn't finish it and felt a bit sick on the way to the next pub. Even after two pints of Proper Job, I could still taste it. It was like drinking a pint of Benylyn.

Are these beers actually brewed with fruit juice and so on or do, as I suspect, they just have essential oils added at the last minute and hence the 'chemical' tastes?
    Yu LU is a great beer and would be brewed with real tea and lemon rind.Laines beers are pretty rubbish imo.Could have been bad beer you can never tell with cask.a Cask Marque tester who is often on twitter tested the temperature of a beer on sale today that was 27.5 degrees.