Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
You’re right, though it seems prices locally are comparable.

I popped into The Wenlock Arms on Saturday (usually quieter than Thursdays and Fridays) and there were two ales for £6.00 and £6.50.

Their 10-pump lineup ranged from £5.00 to £6.50 with an ABV of 3.4% to 6.2%, an average price per pint of £5.53, average ABV 4.2%.
The service was fine as was the quality, but what has changed here is that it’s full of very exuberant people who love the sound of their own voices, as you say, a bit monoculture; I found it too noisy to stay.

I then popped into the Old Fountain and their typical four-pump lineup were all £5.70 (Lacons Norfolk Gem £5.70 a pint compared to £5.00 at the Wenlock), with ABV ranging from 3.6% to just 4.2%, average ABV 3.9%; there was a cider at 3.4% for £6.00.
The place was unusually quiet for a Saturday evening and was about 75% empty.

I thought I’d also make a comparison to the nearby Earl of Essex last night, with their enormous board displaying too many exotic cask offering to list, then four cask options ranging from £5.90 to £6.20 (Iron Pier – Joined at the Hop 3.8% and £6.20 compared to £5.70 at the Old Fountain) with strengths varying from 3.8% to 4.6%, average price per pint £6.00, average ABV 4.1%.

Less central, a visit to The Cock Tavern on Sunday, where there’s no price list and I’m sure not working through 10 pumps, but I had Arbor – Mosaic, 4% and £2.44 a half then Wimbledon – Wilberforce Blended Ale (50:50 Best bitter and barley wine), 5% and £2.65 a half. I found this place to have the best pub experience/ambience and the prices are far lower than at the other three, along with a very engaging manager. And there are 10 cider pumps as well as 10 keg lines. And there are seven varieties of pickled eggs. And Joy Division’s Love Will Tear Us Apart on the piano.
Good work Tris, It's a dirty job but someone has to do it.