Ads not shown when logged in
Page 34 of 37 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 ... LastLast

Thread: Disappointment of the week

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Just been through the list provided by a search of 'Bristol'. HUGELY disappointed to now find that many pubs are inexplicably excluded from the list - why would the likes of Barley Mow, Hillgrove Porter Stores, Highbury Vaults, to name but three, NOT show on a Bristol search? This really does render PG quite useless as a reliable pub search database...
    Ok, I see that Hillgrove may be further out and excluded from 'bristol central', but Barley Mow is nearer to temple meads than many pubs listed and is excluded.
    Going through a list of 'bristol county' is hardly helpful for a crawl.

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    Just been through the list provided by a search of 'Bristol'. HUGELY disappointed to now find that many pubs are inexplicably excluded from the list - why would the likes of Barley Mow, Hillgrove Porter Stores, Highbury Vaults, to name but three, NOT show on a Bristol search? This really does render PG quite useless as a reliable pub search database...
    Ok, I see that Hillgrove may be further out and excluded from 'bristol central', but Barley Mow is nearer to temple meads than many pubs listed and is excluded.
    Going through a list of 'bristol county' is hardly helpful for a crawl.
    I'm getting your point Jim and not just Bristol-wise, but areas are areas and I suppose you have to draw a line somewhere but they don't always make logical (pub crawl) sense. The Barley Mow is a glaring abnomaly , given its location but a Bristol central search gives you a lot despite also missing out some nearby gems.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

When I'm planning a crawl I now open up the map and click on outlying pubs to see where the 'town' or 'central' area ends in the hope of not missing any. It's a bit of a pain, but some towns have been split too much imho.

I know Brighton very well, so a few years ago when I put the pubs in the correct areas I also kept them all in 'Brighton Central'.
    WE ARE THE BREADMEN - UP THE BEES

I note that PG pub profiles carry a distance from various travel hubs/stations. Without wanting to replicate the discredited dark side, the facility to look at pubs within a distance of a station, and even defining those by user ratings (eg 6+), was very useful, and would avoid the problems that location framing/limiting has shown here...

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    I note that PG pub profiles carry a distance from various travel hubs/stations. Without wanting to replicate the discredited dark side, the facility to look at pubs within a distance of a station, and even defining those by user ratings (eg 6+), was very useful, and would avoid the problems that location framing/limiting has shown here...
    Dave actioned this quite a long time ago, albeit in a slightly different way to the servants of Sauron, if you click on the station name under the map for one of the nearby pubs, e.g. London Paddington.

Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post
    Dave actioned this quite a long time ago, albeit in a slightly different way to the servants of Sauron, if you click on the station name under the map for one of the nearby pubs, e.g. London Paddington.
    Did not know that, thanks!

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Great Western

One of my all time top 10 ,now downgraded from full marks due to some bright spark in the Holden's marketing department making "improvements".A dumbed down ale range didn't help,but the earthy ,lived in feel has been replaced by an antiseptic atmosphere. For a Friday it was suspiciously quiet by 6.30pm.A crying shame.
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post
    Great Western

One of my all time top 10 ,now downgraded from full marks due to some bright spark in the Holden's marketing department making "improvements".A dumbed down ale range didn't help,but the earthy ,lived in feel has been replaced by an antiseptic atmosphere. For a Friday it was suspiciously quiet by 6.30pm.A crying shame.
    But worth 70% so must still be pretty good?

Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    But worth 70% so must still be pretty good?
    Good maybe but not elite, slippery slope?
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post
    Great Western

I get from reading blogs and pub groups that most people don't seem to like Holdens beers.Used to see them around London years ago but found them pretty average.