Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 182

Thread: Disappointment of the week

  1. #1
    On The Road To Somewhere Mobyduck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    There abouts
    Posts
    3,267

    Default Disappointment of the week

    My disappointment this week was arriving as planned to visit the Craft 100 beer festival at their Clapham outfit today at about 5.30, something I had been looking forward too all week, to be confronted by a 100 metre queue just to get in,decided to abort and go to plan B and make an overdue visit to the Priory Arms which as it turned out was another disappointment, (Review to follow soon).
    Anyone else had plans go wrong recently?
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

  2. #2
    This Space For Hire Rex_Rattus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    New Malden
    Posts
    1,171

    Default

    On the subject of the Craft Beer Co, I was in their Islington outlet last week and of the eight pumps in use six were showcasing Tiny Rebel ales, and another two had on their house ale and a stout. Of the eight pumps not one had on a medium strength brown bitter (not everyone's cup of tea but I like them). Obviously only a minor disappointment compared to mobyduck's dispiriting Clapham experiences, but a bit niggling nonetheless.

  3. #3
    This Space For Hire Aqualung's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    3,017

    Default

    A big disappointment for me any day of any week is to go to a Spoons to find them selling Doom Bore and /or London Pride, always at inflated prices compared to the standard guests. If either or both are doubled up then it just makes me feel like head-butting the bar counter.

    Outside the Spoons bubble it would be visiting a "free" house to find them only selling the above or other boring national dross like St Austell Tribute, Bombardier (plus any other Wells beers), Black Sheep Bitter or anything at all from the Cottage Brewery.

  4. #4
    Please give generously Quinno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Reading
    Posts
    2,294

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    Outside the Spoons bubble it would be visiting a "free" house to find them only selling the above or other boring national dross like St Austell Tribute, Bombardier (plus any other Wells beers), Black Sheep Bitter or anything at all from the Cottage Brewery.
    To be fair, a few years ago finding a Tribute on pump was still a pleasing experience and for a while it was on my fantasy bar line-up as I thought it was a lovely beer. Admittedly it's perhaps now too widespread and suffers as a result (as well as increased competition) but it still hits the spot when good in a way Bombardier never can.

    Completely agree about Cottage though. And Archers, back in the day...

  5. #5
    We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    down 'ere, from oop there
    Posts
    1,866

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    My disappointment this week was arriving as planned to visit the Craft 100 beer festival at their Clapham outfit today at about 5.30,
    Well that's disappointment vote number two for this festival as it was advertised in (Feb-Mar) London Drinker as 06-09April, so I've missed it too!
    Thought it strange not to incorporate a weekend (or rather a Saturday)...

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	craft.JPG 
Views:	60 
Size:	134.2 KB 
ID:	1049
    Last edited by trainman; 06-04-2014 at 16:51.

  6. #6
    On The Road To Somewhere Mobyduck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    There abouts
    Posts
    3,267

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rex_Rattus View Post
    On the subject of the Craft Beer Co, I was in their Islington outlet last week and of the eight pumps in use six were showcasing Tiny Rebel ales, and another two had on their house ale and a stout. Of the eight pumps not one had on a medium strength brown bitter (not everyone's cup of tea but I like them). Obviously only a minor disappointment compared to mobyduck's dispiriting Clapham experiences, but a bit niggling nonetheless.
    It is horses for courses but if your on the wrong end of it , it is very disappointing.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

  7. #7
    On The Road To Somewhere Mobyduck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    There abouts
    Posts
    3,267

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    Well that's disappointment vote number two for this festival as it was advertised in (Feb-Mar) London Drinker as 06-09April, so I've missed it too!
    Thought it strange not to incorporate a weekend (or rather a Saturday)...

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	craft.JPG 
Views:	60 
Size:	134.2 KB 
ID:	1049
    I feel your pain.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

  8. #8
    This Space For Hire Aqualung's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    3,017

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Quinno View Post
    Completely agree about Cottage though. And Archers, back in the day...
    Did Archers really go so far downhill? I remember going to the Swindon Gluepot and another of their pubs back in the nineties. Cottage seem to be producing cheap and nasty beers for the pubcos. The whole point of their Norman Conquest beer was that it had an OG of 1066 and I enjoyed it then. Wychwood beers went the same way, Hobgoblin is another beer on my "hate" list!!!

  9. #9
    This Space For Hire
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Brentford
    Posts
    1,624

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    Well that's disappointment vote number two for this festival as it was advertised in (Feb-Mar) London Drinker as 06-09April, so I've missed it too!
    Thought it strange not to incorporate a weekend (or rather a Saturday)...

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	craft.JPG 
Views:	60 
Size:	134.2 KB 
ID:	1049
    What a misprint(I cannot believe it).It is in the new London drinker with the right date.

  10. #10
    This Space For Hire
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Brentford
    Posts
    1,624

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    My disappointment this week was arriving as planned to visit the Craft 100 beer festival at their Clapham outfit today at about 5.30, something I had been looking forward too all week, to be confronted by a 100 metre queue just to get in,decided to abort and go to plan B and make an overdue visit to the Priory Arms which as it turned out was another disappointment, (Review to follow soon).
    Anyone else had plans go wrong recently?
    I went Thursday night and it was rammed. They sold 1/3 of the beer of the opening day.Bad luck as you would really have enjoyed it .I mean that -it was brilliant..(smiley face)
    cheers john

Similar Threads

  1. Paul Bailey's Beer Blog - Disappointment on the Beer Front
    By Blog Tracker in forum Blog Tracker
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-07-2013, 21:50
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-06-2012, 11:45
  3. The Pub Curmudgeon - Estate of disappointment
    By Blog Tracker in forum Blog Tracker
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-03-2012, 09:14
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 27-12-2010, 11:48
  5. Shut up about Barclay Perkins - Boddington's disappointment
    By Blog Tracker in forum Blog Tracker
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-07-2010, 22:40

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •