Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Train Company Special Offers and General Rail Travel Discussion

Default Train Company Special Offers and General Rail Travel Discussion

I've set this up for Rail Travel as opposed to free pints in the Voucher Watch thread.
    I'll kick it off by revealing something I only discovered in the last week or two. You can book midweek (ONLY) advance tickets on Virgin East Coast trains 24 rather than the usual 12 weeks prior to travel. I'm going to Scotland for the first time in 30 years this summer and it's an early train from the Cross, £16.50 each way with a railcard. It's costing me around £15.00 just for a "Cheap" day return to Hernia Bay in Kent from Bromley South in a few months time.
    Last edited by Aqualung; 03-03-2016 at 22:05.

The South West Train £15.00 return deal is ongoing until 30/04/16.
    But be aware tickets have to be booked by 11.59pm the day before travel and can only be used on SW trains, so check your connections, on my trip to Pompey last weekend, due to train delays and missing my connection I couldn't use the next available service as it involved a Cross Country train so had to spend an extra 50 mins in Basingstoke .
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Default Virgin Trains (West Coast) Big Spring Seat Sale

Just over an hour to go to book tickets from Euston to Glasgow at just £14.00 each way at https://www.virgintrains.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    The South West Train £15.00 return deal is ongoing until 30/04/16.
    But be aware tickets have to be booked by 11.59pm the day before travel and can only be used on SW trains, so check your connections, on my trip to Pompey last weekend, due to train delays and missing my connection I couldn't use the next available service as it involved a Cross Country train so had to spend an extra 50 mins in Basingstoke .
    That doesn't sound that good value to me! I know you're out in Hants but for me I can get advance Southern tickets £3.30 each way with a railcard from Victoria. The only good value advance tickets I've seen on SW trains are to the far flung places on their line to Exeter via Salisbury.
    You can't break the journey with the advance tickets but with my coffin dodger's pass I could use buses for free or get a cheap day return to Havant or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post
    Just over an hour to go to book tickets from Euston to Glasgow at just £14.00 each way at https://www.virgintrains.co.uk/
    I wouldn't mind betting you've got them! Virgin seem a lot better than other TOCs to me. A BellyAche out of Liverpool Street, GWR from Paddington and SE trains seem to be really poor to me. I've used London Midland a fair bit in the past few months and haven't really had too much problems with them despite their poor reputation.

Default GWR Offer

GWR have another ticket sale.
    Book before 29 April 2016 for travel between 10 May and 8 July 2016.
    It's £5 to Oxford, £10 to Bristol and Bath and £18 to Cornwall.

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    GWR have another ticket sale.
    Book before 29 April 2016 for travel between 10 May and 8 July 2016.
    It's £5 to Oxford, £10 to Bristol and Bath and £18 to Cornwall.
    And all 7 tickets have gone by the looks of it. Most of these 'sales' are a croc.

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    I've set this up for Rail Travel as opposed to free pints in the Voucher Watch thread.
    I'll kick it off by revealing something I only discovered in the last week or two. You can book midweek (ONLY) advance tickets on Virgin East Coast trains 24 rather than the usual 12 weeks prior to travel. I'm going to Scotland for the first time in 30 years this summer and it's an early train from the Cross, £16.50 each way with a railcard. It's costing me around £15.00 just for a "Cheap" day return to Hernia Bay in Kent from Bromley South in a few months time.
    booked tickets to London sept 29 last week you can get them to email you when tickets go on sale https://www.virgintrainseastcoast.co...ticket-alerts/
    "Do I know where hell is? hell is in hello"

Quote Originally Posted by Quinno View Post
    And all 7 tickets have gone by the looks of it. Most of these 'sales' are a croc.
    I managed to pick up £5 EW tickets for Oxford in June on trains where the Senile Railcard doesn't give a cheaper option, but I expect overall you're right!
    Last edited by Aqualung; 20-04-2016 at 01:09.

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

I bought day return London-Manchester for this Saturday, 06August, but am now highly unlikely to make the journey.
    If anyone can use/wants to use the tickets it's a freebie - better than going to waste. Times are 09:40 arr 11:49, rtn 19:35 arr 22:01

pm me if you want 'em, or txt if you are someone who has my number!