Ads not shown when logged in
Page 5 of 35 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Disappointment of the week

Its a disappointment of a couple of weeks ago really,
    My local failing to secure any of Darkstars Greenhopped IPA this year, , probably better for my health though.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

Tried Fuller's Honeydew, on offer at £2 pint, nah, don't think so, will stick to HSB or Strongbow, also £2 pint, depending on mood

I'll stay on me own

Quote Originally Posted by Farway View Post
    Tried Fuller's Honeydew, on offer at £2 pint, nah, don't think so, will stick to HSB or Strongbow, also £2 pint, depending on mood
    Strongbow? It must be bad.

Interesting that Fuller's faux-HSB now ranks alongside Strongbow. The real, traditional Gales HSB, which Farway will undoubtedly remember, was a very different beer and would have been vastly superior. In fact, bearing in mind that the 'H' stood for Horndean (as in the Brewery), how can it carry the title now it's brewed elsewhere?

Harumpph.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackthorn View Post
    Strongbow? It must be bad.
    Hobson's choice really
    I drink to make others more interesting

Quote Originally Posted by ETA View Post
    Interesting that Fuller's faux-HSB now ranks alongside Strongbow. The real, traditional Gales HSB, which Farway will undoubtedly remember, was a very different beer and would have been vastly superior. In fact, bearing in mind that the 'H' stood for Horndean (as in the Brewery), how can it carry the title now it's brewed elsewhere?

Harumpph.
    Not sure how it retains the H but possibly due to using initials and not full name?

I have a vague memory of whoever now owns Newcastle brewery wanted to move brewing else where, but found legal problems in still be able to call it Newcastle Brown Ale, so remained in Newcastle
    I drink to make others more interesting

This Space For Hire

Not sure how it retains the H but possibly due to using initials and not full name?

I have a vague memory of whoever now owns Newcastle brewery wanted to move brewing else where, but found legal problems in still be able to call it Newcastle Brown Ale, so remained in Newcastle
    Not sure, you can get a substance called King and Barnes Sussex Ale in former K&B pubs but it's been made in Blandford for years now. I do wonder why they bother though, it wasn't much cop when K&B brewed it, since H&W got hold of it, it tastes like, well, something that came out of a badger.

Scottish & Newcastle, who owned Broon Ale at the time secured to fanfares and a great hooha, one of those location orders similar to Champagne and I believe Stilton and Melton Mowbray pork pies, Cheddar cheese was refused as it's made everywhere. When they shut the Newcastle brewery I think they just about got away with it by brewing at the Federation Brewery in Gateshead and conning the European Commission that's it the same place, then they or Heinekin (the present owner) shut the Fed' and moved production to Tadcaster and had to get the order revoked.

Gales never did that with HSB so the name stands, although I still think HSB went downhill in 1979 when they switched to pelleted hops.

This Space For Hire

London Pride is pretty questionable as well.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    London Pride is pretty questionable as well.
    It's made in London, I don't think you can question that