Ads not shown when logged in
Page 12 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Disappointment of the week

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    Bucking Fastard left this review about The Bricklayers Arms
    It's a small pub but the outside is adorned with signs showing off the various CAMRA awards that have been collected over the years,so my expectations were high on a visit before a Fulham v Palace match over the river.Few Fulham fans inside,but the modest interior was rammed with Palace fans,no doubt attracted by the 2014 GBG entry.The interior is unchanged from previous reviews and the beer garden is quite large and can accomodate a lot of overflow if the weather is good.The owners had decided to show case Cotleigh ales with Tawny Owl,25,Commando Hoofing,Barn Owl.Honey Buzzard,Old Buzzard and Long Eared Owl as the only real ale options.I found this policy somewhat strange,I have never rated Cotleigh beers and on sampling three of the choices my drinking companions and I came to the same decision that their beers are predominately malty,with little difference apart from strength.The very definition of booring brown beer.Maybe the owners are Fulham fans none too keen on away supporters,but their ale policy on my trip had the desired affect,we pushed off in search of better options.
    It is quite possible we were unlucky,but I would be wary of a return if the team here feel that Cotleigh is a decent brewer.Now if they had been showcasing Marble..................................
    On 12th May 2014 - rating: 6
    [User has posted 1077 recommendations about 1077 pubs]

I'm not a big fan of Cottleigh, but if all the beers were from Marble I think it would be my turn to complain!
    That's what make ale drinking so interesting,one man's meat is another man's poison
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

Not being able to make a full session at the Antelope's Ale And Cider Festival this weekend due to having to work.
    I did however manage two separate one hour forays and the beer list was excellent, a top pub as well.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

This Space For Hire

Went to a local beer fest Friday in the Grosvenor w7
    supposedly 30 beers on-7 on handpump were the same beers from during the week and 8 on stillage- disappointment 1
    beers were £4.25-£4.50 a pint -disappointment 2
    stillage was outside and the access was by going through the crowded dining room and weaving between the pissed off diners. disappointment 3
    couple of keg beers I fancied trying one was £4.50 a half and the other £6.25 a half no chance -disappointment 4
    the 3 beers I did try were very good but went elsewhere when I could have spent the night there

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    due to having to work.
    Missed a trip to The Junction for the same damn reason.

I was in the Newark Organ Grinder yesterday and had got through four brilliant Blue Monkey beers but then the Ape Ale must have been at the end of the cask as it wasn't nearly as good.
    The good news is that I was told by the friendly landlady that there should shortly be a fourth Organ Grinder in Arnold which is somewhere in the Nottingham area.
    Newark is a new place for me and I thought it was a superb Northern town with a really good variety of pubs.

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    Newark is a new place for me and I thought it was a superb Northern town.
    Or as us Northerners call it, a Southern Town.

It's actually in the Midlands.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by ROBCamra View Post
    It's actually in the Midlands.
    There are two points here. It's North of Nottingham plus I thought it had Northern character rather than Midland. I know it's on the River Trent but I also regard Stoke as "The North" but Burton and Nottingham as "The Midlands". The North has got to start somewhere!
    I wonder if there are any takers for the theories that anywhere North of Milton Keynes is up North or the Geordie one that Liverpool and Manchester are Southern cities.

Look at the North Wales coast and draw a line parallel with this across England. Anything above that line is North. In other words Manchester, Liverpool, Sheffield etc are North.

It's as good an idea as I've seen.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by ROBCamra View Post
    Look at the North Wales coast and draw a line parallel with this across England. Anything above that line is North. In other words Manchester, Liverpool, Sheffield etc are North.

It's as good an idea as I've seen.
    Is that near Milton Keynes ?
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Anywhere north of London is North... North London may be considered as 'The Midlands'.
    WE ARE THE BREADMEN - UP THE BEES