Ads not shown when logged in
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Pubs that we call 'home': Our geographical and spiritual locals.

Quote Originally Posted by hopwas View Post
    Hmmm..

If I visit Brum then Wellys will be my first port of call, Square Peg (JDW), Old Joint Stock and Cambridge. White Swan is Listed building but not sure about what they have. I am sure Soupy will tell you that as he visited it few months ago. My last visit was in 2005.

If I visit my second home, Derby then legendary Bruswick is for me. Also The Flowerpot (note no spaces there), Babington Arms (JDW) and Wardwick Tavern. I know some of you saying what about Brewery Tap. I have never visited there but I have been to it's previous life, The Royal Standard.
    Called in the Wardwick in February. It's on a serious downhill slide now since the good landlord left and opened the Metrobar down the road.

The beer range was so poor I only ordered a half and that was very average.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

My drinking career started in The Glyn Arms ,Ewell and was my local before leaving home.Sadly today it is a Toby Carvery and although it features on a pub listing web site that should remain nameless,I couldnt bring myself to suggest it on PuG.

Lived in Surbiton for 9 years with The Wagon and Horses www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/63538/ as the regular haunt,in the days when Youngs beers were still brewed in Wandsworth and tasted superb.Ordinary,Special ,RamRod and Special or even RamRod and Export if the mood took.

Moved to Hertford on the strength a great pub The White Horse www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/14579/ which became the regular venue for a Last Thursday of the month drinking club.

While living in the town centre,a yellow notice went up on an antique shop a few door down seeking permission for change of use to a pub.Having experienced clubbers ringing my doorbell at 3am,pavement pizzas,shopping trolly antics etc,I quickly stuck in an objection on the grounds that there were already plenty of vertical drinking bars in town blaring out rave sounds and my family needed their sleep.Fortunately the local authority ignored my pleading and The Old Cross Tavern www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/55450 was born,now award winning and one of the most genuine locals around.When ever I cross the threshold I hold my head in shame before quaffing copious amounts of their fine ale.Moved to the country now but this is still my pub of choice.
    Last edited by Bucking Fastard; 16-03-2010 at 10:33.

Sound like you grew up in my territory. I was originally from Chessington and had my first pub alcoholic dabblings at the North Star, Hook. I learned space invaders and asteroids in the Cricketers but as I have worked in Central London all my working life, it didn't take long before I started to neglect my locals.

When I moved to Kent, the Windmill in Dartford was virtually the only place to find me. I was in the darts team, football team, worked behind the bar and virtually lived in the place. There was a great mix of of regulars from businessmen to estate lads, all under the watchful eye of Bert the long serving landlord. When he went (part of the great pub sell off in the early 90's) it went downhill rapidly and I have probably been in half a dozen times since. My current "home" is the Ivy Leaf, a 15 minute walk (unless the park is open) and passing 6 pubs to get there. The Wat Tyler is also a regular haunt and they are probably the only 2 pubs in the world where I am currently recognised!

[QUOTE=RogerB;9886]Sound like you grew up in my territory. I was originally from Chessington and had my first pub alcoholic dabblings at the North Star, Hook.

Never went drinking in Chessington or Hook despite living close by for many years.There used to be 7 pubs and a wine bar in Ewell which was a regular pub crawl but having read your St Albans blog ,I now realise that I'm a lightweight ..... and that was 30+ years ago when I was fit.

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Well I guess my spiritual home would have to be The Sportsman, many a night spent there shooting pool whilst getting drunk, they even used to have a pinball table in the old days, one of those things you can add to bar billiards and dartboards as deceased. For those who prefer a quieter time enjoying a real ale, a simple walk across the courtyard to the The Annexe both owned by the same owner, they also have a restaurant called the Barn which I went to for Christmas dinner about 5 years back and was amazing. I suddenly have an urge to go out and play pool now.

I used to love The Hatchett, but the last few times I have been whilst it retained the personality the bar staff were bl**dy useless so we have started going round the corner to The Bunch of Grapes now (which I noticed intriguingly is now under new management in the last week).

[QUOTE=Bucking Fastard;9894]
    Quote Originally Posted by RogerB View Post
    Sound like you grew up in my territory. I was originally from Chessington and had my first pub alcoholic dabblings at the North Star, Hook.

Never went drinking in Chessington or Hook despite living close by for many years.There used to be 7 pubs and a wine bar in Ewell which was a regular pub crawl but having read your St Albans blog ,I now realise that I'm a lightweight ..... and that was 30+ years ago when I was fit.
    My grandmother lived in Ewell (Walsingham Gardens) but I don't think I ever ventured into any Ewell pubs apart form maybe the Organ & Dragon but I can't be sure. Like you, it would have been 25/30 odd years ago and most of my brain cells have been damaged since then.

Official PG MILD tester Soup Dragon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Ven View Post
    The pub I most feel at home in is The Railway in Pelsall.
    A quality establishment, young Ven - let me know if you fancy a pint one night, happily meet you for a St Austell Tribute, which memory tells me they serve?

By the way, are you intending to take a photo of the Rag?
    MILD:

[QUOTE=RogerB;9896]
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post

My grandmother lived in Ewell (Walsingham Gardens) but I don't think I ever ventured into any Ewell pubs apart form maybe the Organ & Dragon but I can't be sure. Like you, it would have been 25/30 odd years ago and most of my brain cells have been damaged since then.
    The Organ Inn was on our regular pub crawl but in those days The League of St George used to hang out in the public bar and us students had to maintain a very low profile.Hope that wasnt you Mr B.

[QUOTE=Bucking Fastard;9900]
    Quote Originally Posted by RogerB View Post

The Organ Inn was on our regular pub crawl but in those days The League of St George used to hang out in the public bar and us students had to maintain a very low profile.Hope that wasnt you Mr B.
    My only post school studenty type days were on day release at Kingston College of Further Education. We would terrorise the sad old fart ale drinkers in the likes of the Bishop Out Of Residence, the Kingston Mill or the Seven Saxons (now closed) with our nauseous lager fuelled antics, unbeknown that one day the tide would turn.

[QUOTE=RogerB;9904]
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post

My only post school studenty type days were on day release at Kingston College of Further Education. We would terrorise the sad old fart ale drinkers in the likes of the Bishop Out Of Residence,
    Bloody hell,I used to go in there a lot with my first wife.Mind you ,after a few too many red wines she wasnt slow at coming forward to admonish leary students.Typical teacher.