Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pubs that we call 'home': Our geographical and spiritual locals.

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Default Pubs that we call 'home': Our geographical and spiritual locals.

Thought it might be interesting to learn about each other's favourite haunts. I'm sure most of us have a pub down the road that we use for convenience, but have a spiritual local that we deem worth the extra travel. I'll always associate The Baum in Rochdale with ROBCamra and The Silk Kite, Tamworth with Hoppy but what about everyone else?

To get the ball rolling, my village local is The New Inn, Walton. www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/41295 a big hearted, GBG listed, community local. However, if I want a decent session I usually head for the Fernandes Tap in the centre of Wakefield: www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/55466 A CAMRA multi-award winner. Usually ten pumps to go at in a setting of real character. (Of course the omnipresent RogerB managed to review it, after his visit up here, before I got my lardy arse into gear!)

Over to you.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Official PG MILD tester Soup Dragon's Avatar

This is an interesting one A&H, but i dont tend to have a spiritual home. Over the years, i have played football for lots of pub teams in Brum and beyond, each of which has an attachment. Whilst i now live out of Brum and have different tastes (MILD and real ale), i grew up in Brum. If i had a spiritual home it would be The Railwayman's Arms in Bridgnorth as it combines the best in pubs and drinks, with the history of the SVR. If it were confined to my local area, it would be The Anchor and White Swan in Digbeth - as i know my ancestors drank there (they were nice people until they had a drink inside them, so the judge said), so it feels like home in a different way.
    MILD:

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

This is my true home http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/32680/ my local for 20 years , i rarely visit these days after minor fallout with landlady .
    My locals these days are these
    http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/32696/ drunk in here for 25 years on and off
    http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/32757/ this was me Dads local so taking up the family tradition
    http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/32686/ Started in here underage , getting back to being a good pub
    Theres a Man with a Mullet going Mad with a Mallet in Millets !

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

My local haunt is Green Dragon, Lovedean http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/14096/ which is really just another suburban local I can walk to

Spiritual home, I guess is a choice between White Swan, Portsmouth [a JDW] http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/13604/ which gives a wide choice of beer and is not the normal JDW barn

Or the Invincible near the Hard, Portsmouth http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/13578/ just a nice local pub, no big frills but is what I would term a "real pub"

Quote Originally Posted by Soup Dragon View Post
    This is an interesting one A&H, but i dont tend to have a spiritual home. Over the years, i have played football for lots of pub teams in Brum and beyond, each of which has an attachment. Whilst i now live out of Brum and have different tastes (MILD and real ale), i grew up in Brum. If i had a spiritual home it would be The Railwayman's Arms in Bridgnorth as it combines the best in pubs and drinks, with the history of the SVR. If it were confined to my local area, it would be The Anchor and White Swan in Digbeth - as i know my ancestors drank there (they were nice people until they had a drink inside them, so the judge said), so it feels like home in a different way.
    The Anchor and The White Swan are fab pubs. Me and the chaps from our office always venture down to Digbeth the day we finish work before Christmas. We re-found the Lamp Tavern in Barford Street this year. The 3 of them make up a great trio.

Severn Valley Railway is also a good pub crawl in itself. I listed the crawl on PG a few weeks ago, having done it 3 times. King and Castle at the other end in Kiddy is good, as are the Harbour at Arley and several places in Bewdley.

The pub I most feel at home in is The Railway in Pelsall. If I'm in Brum at lunchtime I prefer the Wellington, provided it's not too packed

I’m a loyal local of the Duke of Hamilton in Hampstead http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/55733/ and the nearest pub to my house is the Orange Tree in Friern Barnet http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/66028/– It’s a dump!

I think that most people know my love of the Duke, but it is now due for closure as the owners have had it valued and apparently it is worth £800,000 as a pub and £12,000,000 as luxury flats which the council is on the verge of giving planning permission to. I’ll probably be localless by the end of April if not March!
    WE ARE THE BREADMEN - UP THE BEES

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Strongers View Post
    and £12,000,000 as luxury flats which the council is on the verge of giving planning permission to.
    That's a killer, especially since the Old Bear has abandoned its progressive beer policy in favour of food, by the sound of things.

It's not good, but the Holly Bush up the way in now run by Fullers and the Flask which is a youngs pub is probably better than it has been for a long time. Hampstead is nothing like it used to be:-

Duke's future on the edge,
    Olde White Bear a gastro pub,
    Wells Tavern a gastro pub
    Coach and Horses (Gertie Browns) Residential
    Horse and Groom a restaurant
    King of Bohemia a charity shop
    Mojama's closed
    Tabby Cat Lounge (ex american burger and cocktail lounge) closed
    Toast Bar closed
    The Horseshoe does ale, but its gastro
    Freemasons is gastro
    Even the Slug and Lettuce (Heath Street Bar) is now an estate agents.

PS: the last dartboard in Hampstead will vanish if the Duke closes!

Also Calamity Janes which was a 'restaurant' where one could drink until 6am is now a milkshake bar selling kosher food which is open til all hours. People travel the length and breadth of London to visit and my brother once bumped into three guys from Hounslow who had done the twenty odd mile journey.
    Last edited by Strongers; 15-03-2010 at 22:54.
    WE ARE THE BREADMEN - UP THE BEES

Quote Originally Posted by Strongers View Post
    ... the last dartboard in Hampstead will vanish if the Duke closes!
    So the dartboard has joined the bar billiard table, the spitoon and the pub dog on the list of endangered species. What else will we miss about our locals as global warming, property price increases, crippling taxes, the smoking ban, expanding non-alcohol tolerent sub-populations and population pressure see the destruction of our natural habitat? (OK, so maybe I lied about the global warming bit, but the rest is true.) Gravity fed casks in a real cellar (could contravene Weights and Measures rules)? Nibbles on the bar (health and safety)? Pork scratchings (offensive to the Health Food Police and some religions)? Morris dancers in the car park on Mayday (phallo-centric expression of anachronistic, mysogenistic...oh b****cks, you get the drift)?

Worse, what will replace them? Wii-FitPlusExtraVirtualPubGames? Real ale vending machines? Compulsory "Group Hugs"?