Ads not shown when logged in
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Rugby Meet Up Friday the 13th June 2014

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    I've twice set out on London Midland Great Escape, intending a Rugby-Northampton combo, but trains and time conspired against on each occasion meaning Northampton is still virgin territory for me.
    Think I only had 3 pubs on my list there though - I wouldn't imagine it to be a single destination mission for discerning PGers?
    Myself and Mr Phat have been to Northampton quite recently,and Mr P lives quite closeby,I think you may struggling to find the usual quota of 10 decent pubs for a crawl around that town unless you also want to include the distant suburbs and a few wild cards.

Rugby is better if you want a "tight" town centre and lots of pubs,some pretty good.
    Last edited by Bucking Fastard; 24-03-2014 at 20:53.
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by aleandhearty View Post
    Without any particular order or preference, how about one of the following?

Derby.
    Bristol.
    Oxford.
    Cambridge.
    Northampton.
    St Albans.
    I'm not too fussed if the next meet-up is North, South, East, West or anywhere in-between, but if it is to be down South, I'd be happy with any of these suggestions, although I think we should save Bristol for a landmark meet-up, like the 10th Anniversary of Pubs Galore or something similar.

I'd also quite like to do Bath - not sure how easy that is to reach on the trains.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post
    Myself and Mr Phat have been to Northampton quite recently,and Mr P lives quite closeby,I think you may struggling to find the usual quota of 10 decent pubs for a crawl around that town unless you also want to include the distant suburbs and a few wild cards.

Rugby is better if you want a "tight" town centre and lots of pubs,some pretty good.
    I'd agree with that. There are plenty of boozers in Northampton but I can only think of 4 which I'd describe as 'must visits' and they're a fair way from each other and from the station. Rugby has at least 6 or 7 which are GBG listed and well worth a visit and many more which'll serve you a decent pint all within a relatively small town centre. Achieving the 10 decent pub quota would be more a question of what to leave out rather than what to include.

The town centre itself is something of a walk from the station but perfectly manageable and with the opportunity for 'rests' if required. In fact there are a couple of 'must rests' between the station and centre. It may have more options travel wise as well being on the West Coast Mainline.
    Last edited by Thuck Phat; 25-03-2014 at 11:58.

Never done Rugby. Unless you count sitting on a Virgin Flyer for 2 hours just outside the station.

There's also a Travelodge next to the station and a Premier Inn a bit further away.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by ROBCamra View Post

There's also a Travelodge next to the station and a Premier Inn a bit further away.
    As well as a few reasonably priced independent hotels and B&B's closer to or in the centre.

Rugbys good for me to get to.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Quote Originally Posted by ROBCamra View Post
    Oh, I don't disagree with the North-Midlands-South idea.

But THAT far south?

I suggest the next northern one is in Berwick on Tweed or Penrith then.

Or if hondo is feeling a bit left out how about Aberdeen or Perth?

I've been to Northampton and wasn't that impressed. Agree we should save Bristol until a land mark anniversary, when would that be anyway?
    I quite like the sound of rugby, as long as we don't have to watch any!
    WE ARE THE BREADMEN - UP THE BEES

Quote Originally Posted by Strongers View Post
    I quite like the sound of rugby, as long as we don't have to watch any!
    Seconded
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

I'll stay on me own

Quote Originally Posted by Pubsignman View Post
    I'd also quite like to do Bath - not sure how easy that is to reach on the trains.
    It's on the main line out of London down to the Bristol and the South West. Otherwise you'd need to change somewhere, I guess maybe Reading or Bristol. The latter is only about 15 minutes from Bath.

The station is also quite central to all the pubs.

Quote Originally Posted by Pubsignman View Post
    although I think we should save Bristol for a landmark meet-up, like the 10th Anniversary of Pubs Galore or something similar.
    Quote Originally Posted by Strongers View Post
    Agree we should save Bristol until a land mark anniversary, when would that be anyway?
    All depends how you want to measure it.

The original version of Regulars Reunited, the forerunner to Pubs Galore that I created (and was crap and didn't really work properly) was launched on May 22nd 2003.

Later that year on October 1st we registered pubsgalore.co.uk and Conrad set about making a version of the site that actually worked properly and audited stuff.

On January 28th 2004 we had our first audited review, which was of the Hollingwood Hotel by Alan Swain.

At some stage during that year we officially changed the name from Regulars Reunited to Pubs Galore.