Ads not shown when logged in
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Rugby Meet Up Friday the 13th June 2014

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    Has anybody got a plan of action route wise in mind yet?
    I think TP gave an indication in an earlier post but I would suggest that the early birds like me ,and those wanting brecky,should meet in the Rupert Brooke 'spoons which will open early.

From there it is worth doing all the "core" pubs on his list next starting at The Seven Stars at noon when it opens
    Then The Alex
    Squirrel
    The Vic
    Merchants
    Lawrence Sheriff
    Raglan

After that I would suggest the following wild card pubs ,but of course it is a tight town centre if folk want to go off piste to tick off some unreviewed pubs.

Half Moon
    Prince of Wales
    Black Swan
    London House
    Rupert Brooke (for those that didn't make the early visit)
    London Calling

On the way back to the station The Wheeltappers is a good looking pub from the outside but hit and hope on the ale front.

Hopefully that should keep everybody busy.Folk will be leaving by train at different times,but even at the furthest point from the station,namely the Raglan,it shouldnt take more than 15 minutes to reach the platforms.

Apologies for not putting on links to the pubs,but as a starting point for the discussion I hope this helps.
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post
    I think TP gave an indication in an earlier post but I would suggest that the early birds like me ,and those wanting brecky,should meet in the Rupert Brooke 'spoons which will open early.

From there it is worth doing all the "core" pubs on his list next starting at The Seven Stars at noon when it opens
    Then The Alex
    Squirrel
    The Vic
    Merchants
    Lawrence Sheriff
    Raglan

After that I would suggest the following wild card pubs ,but of course it is a tight town centre if folk want to go off piste to tick off some unreviewed pubs.

Half Moon
    Prince of Wales
    Black Swan
    London House
    Rupert Brooke (for those that didn't make the early visit)
    London Calling

On the way back to the station The Wheeltappers is a good looking pub from the outside but hit and hope on the ale front.

Hopefully that should keep everybody busy.Folk will be leaving by train at different times,but even at the furthest point from the station,namely the Raglan,it shouldnt take more than 15 minutes to reach the platforms.

Apologies for not putting on links to the pubs,but as a starting point for the discussion I hope this helps.
    Thanks BF.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    Rail travel now booked, arriving 11:52 leaving 17:48
    I'll be arriving at the same time - the 11:00 from Tamworth. We may not be on the same trains up to that point, so I'll see you on Tamworth station.
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    I'll be arriving at the same time - the 11:00 from Tamworth. We may not be on the same trains up to that point, so I'll see you on Tamworth station.
    I think you mean the 11:20 from Tamworth, I'm on the 9.11 from Leeds (Sheffield at 9.52) Tamworth at 10:48, but as I had to split this journey into 3 tickets I'll be changing seats at Sheffield and from coach D to coach C at Derby.

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    I think you mean the 11:20 from Tamworth
    Quite right - 11:00 is the arrival time of my train into Tamworth. I have to use a train from Derby that stops in Burton on Trent, in order to gain maximum use of my Derbyshire Wayfarer.
    Come On You Hatters!

Woo hoo. Somebody has gone and quit work. And with their departure the days they had booked off for leave go back up for grabs.

See ye there, I'll canvass Beatles and Downender.

Get IN! The Banbury split rolls again with my Railcard, so it's a 10.58 arrival and my choice of when to go back but probably 19.51 if I can keep going that long...see the early birds in Spoons I guess!

£28 all in. Cheap for those who can play the system (and quicker too than the London route).

Rugby beer festival is on on the same day. The pubs might be "interesting" by the end of our crawl..............