Visit the Tandleman's Beer Blog site

Remember that debate about what craft beer is? Course you do, it was rather popular until we all more or less gave up on it as every time we thought about it, our heads ached intolerably. I sort of think we all decided on our own definitions and went off muttering words to the effect of "I can't define it, but I know what it is when I see it." Then we sort of put it aside and went off to lie in a darkened room. You might also remember that BrewDog same up with their own definition which bore an uncanny resemblance to what happens over the pond in the US. It was rather derided on this basis and that too seemed to die a similar death.

Now I learn that this very afternoon, that BrewDog, far from giving up on it like most of us, will put a new definition to the Society of Independent Brewers' (SIBA) AGM The BD website does give some details and urges those with thoughts on the matter to get in touch with them. The actual proposal to be put to SIBA members for discussion is rather elusive though. The links to previous definitions and discussions both give a 404 error (not found) and BrewDog Jonathan hasn't responded to my request for details (and seems today to have been removed as contact on the BD Blog), so I can't tell you what it is. What the blog does say seems to relate, not to craft beer, but to craft breweries. Here's what it says:
"We believe that to earn its title a European Craft Brewery must be:

1) Authentic
a) brews all their beers at original gravity
b) does not use any adjuncts to lessen flavour and reduce costs.

2) Honest
a) All ingredients are clearly listed on the label of all of their beers.
b) The place where the beer is brewed is clearly listed on all of their beers.
c) All their beer is brewed at craft breweries.

3) Independent
Is not more than 20% owned by a brewing company which operates any brewery which is not a craft brewery.

4) Committed
If the brewer has an estate, at least 90% of the beer they sell must be craft beer."

Notice what's missing? Yep. Definition of craft beer.

So? Any the wiser about what BrewDog are going to say today? Me neither, but hopefully we will find out after the event, as clearly we aren't going to beforehand.

It'll be interesting to see what the assorted SIBA types will make of all this. Are they craft? Dunno, but probably. Er. I think.

More...