Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Drink nicknames

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

Wifes cousin still drinks Guiness and black , Mild & Bitter was Mickey Mouse , a popular drink with the Grannies round here was Mackeson and Port cant remember what it was called
    Theres a Man with a Mullet going Mad with a Mallet in Millets !

Guinness and black is still quite common around here. Bitter shandy is the one that makes no sense to me. Just have a half!

Get some gravy on it. Maldenman's Avatar
    Motspur Park or whichever pub I happen to be in at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie86 View Post
    Guinness and black is still quite common around here. Bitter shandy is the one that makes no sense to me. Just have a half!
    Whenever we go out as a bunch from work, one lad always starts with a pint of bitter shandy. Strangely he then moves on to proper pints and stays the distance with the rest of us. Perhaps its a thirst thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Maldenman View Post
    Whenever we go out as a bunch from work, one lad always starts with a pint of bitter shandy. Strangely he then moves on to proper pints and stays the distance with the rest of us. Perhaps its a thirst thing.
    Ginger beer shandy-not lemonade-is definately very refreshing, but landlords don't like to serve it as it makes their beer look cloudy.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie86 View Post
    Half scrumpy, half ale, dash of blackcurrant = snakebite & black. Illegal to serve I think because it mixes cider with beer. That's what we used to get told at the pubs that wouldn't serve it too us...
    Served freely up the road at Leominster but that aint any recomendation. Half cheap (?) lager, half of pump cider and a shot of blackcurrant (and apple perhaps?) The flatulence is terrible in all manner of ways.
    In the 70s Guiness had an advertising campaign with all sorts of mixtures and fancy names. Posters were put near the bar to tempt you. Draught Guiness and port was OK but a fast way of getting drunk.

Wandering, or wondering, or wandering in.

There was the ‘Man in a Box’ which was an alternative name for Sam Smiths Ayingerbrau lager, as that was what was on the pump. The name has now changed to Alpine lager and I think the man in his box has gone as well.

Newcastle Brown is often shortened to Newky Brown and is also known as Dog. I think the origins are from the claim “I’m just going out to walk the dog” meaning I’m going to the pub.

In Scotland you’ll often hear people ordering a ‘Pint of Heavy’ which is another term for a 70/- beer, up to 4% abv. An 80/- beer, up to 5.5% abv., is often called Eighty Shilling with the Caledonian Brewery one being referred to as Caley Eighty.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Maldenman View Post
    It's sometimes useful if you need to kickstart the system when a lunchtime session is required on top of a late evening. A pint of bitter first off can be a struggle. The sweetness takes the edge off things and gives you time to get up to speed, indeed it needn't be as dilute as shandy, bitter top will do the trick.

Teetotal

Brain's SA AKA Skull Attack

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Tetley Bitter = Tetty Bitty
    Stones' = 'The Yellow Peril', from its reputation for causing hangovers.
    Stella- Although almost universally known as 'Wifebeater', quite a few people up here still call it 'Tortoise' Don't know how common that is in other parts of the country?

More generally, it's quite common for a pint at lunchtime to be called 'a glass sandwich'. I rather like that.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by aleandhearty View Post
    Tetley Bitter = Tetty Bitty
    Stones' = 'The Yellow Peril', from its reputation for causing hangovers.
    Stella- Although almost universally known as 'Wifebeater', quite a few people up here still call it 'Tortoise' Don't know how common that is in other parts of the country?

More generally, it's quite common for a pint at lunchtime to be called 'a glass sandwich'. I rather like that.
    I wonder how much have they spent over several years now to to try to get rid of the 'beater image in the UK? I suspect their only way out is to rename it, which wouldn't go down too well in Belgium and France.

Never heard 'Tortoise' round here though I do say it inwardly sometimes.

You don't hear Lowenbrau = Lousy Brew so much these days.

Greene King > Greedy King is common, pretty obvious really.
    Last edited by NickDavies; 15-03-2010 at 14:59.