Ads not shown when logged in
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Defunct pubs: a discussion (aka Britannia - pub or bank?)

Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post
    In this discussion thread,I fully support the sentiments above from sheffield hatter.I can see no reason why ,once a pub is demolished,there should be any photographs on this site of a successor building.Such photos detract from the very nature of this excellent website and, in my opinion,add nothing.
    I couldn't agree more. I suspect it's done to increase the "pubs photographed" score. Similarly, I can't see much purpose in putting on a posting to say that flats have now been built on a site where it has previously been reported that the pub was demolished.

In this discussion thread,I fully support the sentiments above from sheffield hatter.I can see no reason why ,once a pub is demolished,there should be any photographs on this site of a successor building.Such photos detract from the very nature of this excellent website and, in my opinion,add nothing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex_Rattus View Post
    I couldn't agree more. I suspect it's done to increase the "pubs photographed" score. Similarly, I can't see much purpose in putting on a posting to say that flats have now been built on a site where it has previously been reported that the pub was demolished.
    Agreed, its all a waste of space.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Official PG MILD tester Soup Dragon's Avatar

I only add an update if the pub has been demolished since the last review said it was closed (usually just closed off on PG and no comment at all) - i do also add if a pub is still closed (and declining as a building) if not reviewed in a few years: this is especially true with regard to my Brum project as parts have never been, or not reviewed for ages.
    MILD:

I'll stay on me own

Debenham Suffolk had 4 open pubs in 1988

It now has 15 pubs listed on this site in 2014 with 2 open

I could go on and on listing towns villages and cities that have got hundreds of pubs that had closed down over 50 years ago,these seem to be mainly in the south.

I have some good old maps showing pubs in certain cities which have 30 odd pubs on a single road,all long closed some over 100 years ago,i wont mention which cities for fear of some photographers going there and adding yet more pictures of shops,banks and fast food takeaways and houses.

I'll stay on me own

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    New photos submitted this weekend of closed pubs in Ipswich. Unfortunately I approved one for the Queens Hotel before realising that the building is the replacement for the pub, and not the pub itself. We now have three photos of this building, which to a casual user of the site makes it look as though we think it's a former pub!

Another example is the Royal Oak, Tavern Street, where there are already two photos of the HMV shop by Graham Mason and now two more submitted by John McGraw, which I have referred to Dave.
    More photos appearing on the front page today of this pub,but at least we now have Spec Savers on to join the HMV shots

Quote Originally Posted by Al 10000 View Post
    More photos appearing on the front page today of this pub,but at least we now have Spec Savers on to join the HMV shots
    To my mind this is absolutely pointless.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields