Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Defunct pubs: a discussion (aka Britannia - pub or bank?)

Default Defunct pubs: a discussion (aka Britannia - pub or bank?)

Quote Originally Posted by Quinno View Post
    Britannia - this is a bank!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by bcfczuluarmy View Post
    Further to Quinno's post Britannia I've stumbled on another. New Britannia If OP isn't going to include what these were prior to possibly being Building Societies then can these be deleted? I am on Banks Galore aren't I?
    Quote Originally Posted by Soup Dragon View Post
    This is the problem with people that stick a load of defunct pubs on and say NOTHING in the comments to give it context. Mr Mason is very good at this.

The Britannia was a pub, in the 1870s, on the High St of Maidenhead (and i assume on that spot, it looks like it is from the historic mapping) - ironically, it is now a Britannia BS, and that is where the confusion lies.

It is irritating and lazy that people can't be bothered to say a basic comment to let everyone know.
    I've copied the above from a couple of different parts of a forum in which conversation is barred, so that we can have a proper chat about:

1) Defunct pubs being added without any notes about when they were pubs and what happened to them,

2) Photos of places where there used to be a pub but there's now a block of flats or a bank,

3) Anything else, related or not.

Cheers
    Come On You Hatters!

I'll stay on me own

I dont think photos of banks,blocks of flats or gardens which have all had photos taken of them should be on this site.

I know i do add loads of closed pubs but always with a photo and review of the day i visited it,i have asked for opinions on me doing this and i thought it was ok for me to do.

The main gripe is mainly about a certain person who seems to add anything and everything to this site,i dont like what he does,i have had a private moan about this person but dont know what to do about it.

Take a look at the Norwich list loads of pubs added which will now never get a photo or review,all photos of these pubs were deleted,i wonder why.

I will continue to add lost pubs but always with a review and photo of the pub concerned.

This Space For Hire

Point 1

I've a list of old Bristol ones that have been and gone in my time in the City but resisted adding them especially if we consider point 2 as I've only got pictures of them now so see no point in adding them, although it could trigger other people's memories who may have a photo though. However, I'm not planning on adding them but if others did I'd add my now photo. I wouldn't go out my way to add new old pubs if I have nothing to bring to the table other than a new building on the former site of a pub picture.

Point 2

If a pub is listed on here I'll provide a picture in it's current state if it's closed, demolished or redeveloped, quite interesting to see what a pub became sometimes, probably more so if there was an original pub picture on here otherwise due to copyrights would see a interested party having to Google image pubs to see if pictures exist elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post

1) Defunct pubs being added without any notes about when they were pubs and what happened to them,

2) Photos of places where there used to be a pub but there's now a block of flats or a bank,

3) Anything else, related or not.

Cheers
    There's no point whatsoever in adding a picture of a new building or a patch of ground unless there is a second photo with the pub as it was. I don't mind pictures of ex-pubs showing a new use but a comment or a picture of the building as a pub ought to be required.

Quote Originally Posted by Al 10000 View Post

I know i do add loads of closed pubs but always with a photo and review of the day i visited it, i have asked for opinions on me doing this and i thought it was ok for me to do.

... I will continue to add lost pubs but always with a review and photo of the pub concerned.
    I don't have any problems with this approach.

Context is everything. I don't mind having closed pubs listed (assuming we are talking about closed pubs from a sensible point in time, not some barely documented beer house from 1922!) but there really must be some background info. I listed a load for Reading but also put in a few words as to their history (mainly involving Good Beer Guide entry years, as these are at least something that maintains their legacy and makes them open to people querying their current status).

The problem is, that by trying to be a 'live' site on top of the current pub situation, I end up checking out all closed pubs on PUG when planning a trip to see whether they are 'proper closed' or just 'temporary closed'. I'm happy to seek out somewhere that may have re-opened/been permanently erased since the original submission to clarify the situation, but feel a bit fed-up to see places listed that end up having been closed longer than most of us have been alive with no note to say this on the page.

(NB - Dave, this isn't getting at you in any way, just me getting a little something off my chest - I appreciate that you are treading a fine political line! )

Solution - an extra icon to show whether the closure is one of being 'permanently dead - not coming back' (flats/supermarket) and another for 'closed - situation unresolved' (empty building)?
    Last edited by Quinno; 28-02-2014 at 22:19.

I personally find this example here ridiculous . To be fair Tris C (he added the pub in the first place) has since asked for the photos to be deleted.But as mentioned elsewhere I cant work out if the pub was demolished in the 1920s what are John Mcgraws photos of?
    Last edited by Mobyduck; 28-02-2014 at 21:05. Reason: poor grammar
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

I saw little point in adding this pub to the site. I used to live in Clapton and knew all about the fact that this building was a previous pub (I've a vague recollection of being told it was a Whitbread pub). My personal view is that is completely pointless adding closed pubs but I'm not overly bothered either way. There are lots of pubs I've been to that have closed but I have no photos or notes about them, just memories.
    At least Al 10000 has kept his notes and photos from the distant past, so adding them makes it quite acceptable for me.

Going back to Clapton E5 there is one closed pub that not only has the wrong address but as a result a completely wrong map position. I could correct this but what is the point?

I have a black and white photo of a very famous North Wales pub I photographed in the mid sixties (colour photography had not been invented then). I was too young to visit it at the time.
    A few years later it became a Youth Hostel which I actually stayed at. Maybe I should add it with the picture and a review of the Youth Hostel. The food was rubbish as it consisted of a self cooked Vesta curry for two and a tinned sticky toffee pudding.

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    I personally find this example here ridiculous . To be fair Tris C (he added the pub in the first place) has since asked for the photos to be deleted.But as mentioned elsewhere I cant work out if the pub was demolished in the 1920s what are John Mcgraws photos of?
    Tris C also added a comment that the street had been renumbered. I would guess that John McGraw's photo was of the right number, but the wrong building, and so should be deleted.
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    I saw little point in adding this pub to the site. I used to live in Clapton and knew all about the fact that this building was a previous pub (I've a vague recollection of being told it was a Whitbread pub). My personal view is that is completely pointless adding closed pubs but I'm not overly bothered either way. There are lots of pubs I've been to that have closed but I have no photos or notes about them, just memories.
    I would say if it's known to have been a pub and a present day photograph shows the building in much the same state as it would have been when it was a pub, I'd be quite happy to see it on the site. For two reasons: one is that if someone is doing some research into, say, pubs in Clapton, they might find themselves on this site and, appreciating the quality of the photos, the reviews and (especially) the debates on the Forum, decide to become regular members; secondly, if someone wants to add a pub like this and provides a photo and writes a note about when it was a pub and what it is now, they've done it because they love pubs and want to record the loss of part of the culture of this country. Some would say they can add it to the Closed Pubs website (which of course they can), but to that I would say the pub deserves to be recorded on the best pubs website, Pubs Galore.

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    I have a black and white photo of a very famous North Wales pub I photographed in the mid sixties (colour photography had not been invented then). I was too young to visit it at the time.
    A few years later it became a Youth Hostel which I actually stayed at. Maybe I should add it with the picture and a review of the Youth Hostel. The food was rubbish as it consisted of a self cooked Vesta curry for two and a tinned sticky toffee pudding.
    Great stuff! Please add this pub!
    Last edited by sheffield hatter; 28-02-2014 at 22:17.
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by Quinno View Post
    Context is everything. I don't mind having closed pubs listed (assuming we are talking about closed pubs from a sensible point in time, not some barely documented beer house from 1922!) but there really must be some background info. I listed a load for Reading but also put in a few words as to their history (mainly involving Good Beer Guide entry years, as these are at least something that maintains their legacy and makes them open to people querying their current status).

The problem is, that by trying to be a 'live' site on top of the current pub situation, I end up checking out all closed pubs on PUG when planning a trip to see whether they are 'proper closed' or just 'temporary closed'. I'm happy to seek out somewhere that may have re-opened/been permanently erased since the original submission to clarify the situation, but feel a bit fed-up to see places listed that have been closed longer than most of us have been alive with no note to say this on the page.
    Agree with all of this.

I must admit I add my share of closed pubs, mostly because when I'm out doing photos I'll often come across a building that was obviously a pub (either the remnants of a hanging sign's bracket, or just the name of the house which it's become clearly deriving from the pub it once was, or sometimes the trap for lowering barrels into the cellar) and will photograph it, half expecting to see it already listed on Pubs Galore when I get back to my PC. I reckon the photo makes it clear it's now in residential (or whatever) use, but I should really make a little extra effort and do a bit of research before adding it to the site.
    Come On You Hatters!