Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nicholsons Pubs

Default Nicholsons Pubs

I get the impression that some correspondents think that this chain of pubs can do no wrong as opposed to other chains like say er, Wetherspoons.

I was fascinated to see the review for this pub highlighting something that Spoons outlawed completely in all their pubs years ago.
    To compound the problem a member of Nicholson's has made an apologetic reply but has scored his chain's pub a 10!

My own view of Nicholsons is based on a single visit to a a West End one last year and it was OK but having now visited all the Central London Spoons my Central London agenda is now limited to a very select few pubs, all of which I've been to before. There is one Central London Nicholsons that I want to visit but it is completely beer unrelated.

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    I get the impression that some correspondents think that this chain of pubs can do no wrong as opposed to other chains like say er, Wetherspoons.

I was fascinated to see the review for this pub highlighting something that Spoons outlawed completely in all their pubs years ago.
    To compound the problem a member of Nicholson's has made an apologetic reply but has scored his chain's pub a 10!

My own view of Nicholsons is based on a single visit to a a West End one last year and it was OK but having now visited all the Central London Spoons my Central London agenda is now limited to a very select few pubs, all of which I've been to before. There is one Central London Nicholsons that I want to visit but it is completely beer unrelated.
    I have found most Nicholsons pubs to be fairly decent pubs ,never knowingly suffered trainmans misfortune in that pub, but it makes you think, totally unacceptable behaviour, hopefully a one off. I
    don't know which central London one you have been in Aqua, but you should try The Black Friar if you haven't before , beer and interior it has scored high for me in the past.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Just to say it wasn't me being served, or I'd certainly have demanded beer from the pump, and not some that had been sitting around in a plastic tray, then transferred to a glass, awaiting top-up!
    My beer, served at the front bar, was pulled directly into a clean glass although, here too, a couple of years ago I have witnessed glasses in action as drip-trays being used to top up pints.
    I don't really understand the request to identify a staff member - surely the message should be reinforced to the whole team that the practice should never be used?

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    I don't really understand the request to identify a staff member - surely the message should be reinforced to the whole team that the practice should never be used?
    Correct.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    I have found most Nicholsons pubs to be fairly decent pubs ,never knowingly suffered trainmans misfortune in that pub, but it makes you think, totally unacceptable behaviour, hopefully a one off. I
    don't know which central London one you have been in Aqua, but you should try The Black Friar if you haven't before , beer and interior it has scored high for me in the past.
    I've been to the Black Friar a few times, probably before the pub chain started. It was noted in those days for selling a decent pint of Bass when Bass was one of the better beers in London and you could walk across the bridge to visit the ORIGINAL Young's Prince William Henry and Founder's Arms followed by Becky's Dive Bar.

The one I've been to recently is this and it was OK. I went there for nostalgia purposes as it was the local of a mate who lived in a squat opposite with his barrister girlfriend (I'm not making this up!).

I'm not really knocking the chain, I've seen several reports of how they have improved. The story just makes me feel smug about being happy to visit Spoons!!

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    although, here too, a couple of years ago I have witnessed glasses in action as drip-trays being used to top up pints.
    Surely this isn't too bad if it's busy and it's a lively beer?
    The worst practice of all was to throw all the slops and half finished pints into a plastic bucket at the end of the night. The bucket was obviously destined for returning to a barrel. Since the extended opening hours I haven't been in a position to see if this still goes on.

This Space For Hire

On a head to head basis I prefer Nicolsons to Mc Spoons
    the beers seem to be better conditioned
    they are actually pubs not ex cinema,s bingo halls ect
    they are beer led rather than food led
    they serve you quickly
    when a beer is gone they remove the pumpclip
    obviously they are a lot dearer than Wetherspoon but they seem to charge the same price In all their pubs rather than the predatory pricing adopted by Wetherspoon.
    As you can see I am not a fan of drinking in Mc Spoons but they have brought real ale variety to lots of places so they are a benefit to us drinkers

This Space For Hire gillhalfpint's Avatar

I saw glasses standing in drip trays at a Good Beer Guide pub in Oxford, and asked the staff why. I was told it was a lively beer and wouldn't be standing more than 10 minutes. I watched as staff serving from neighbouring pumps were trailing beer from one glass across the one in the tray. There could be any muck and flies getting in the beer that a staff member poured into a glass to start another customer's pint. This was a few years ago, and I did contact the Oxford CAMRA branch at the time. I make sure I stand where I can see the drip trays now when visiting that pub.
    Alcohol doesn't solve problems .... but then again, neither does milk.

I'm a fan of Nicholson pubs and their trad decor. One of the best breakfasts I've had in a pub was in the Nicholson's across the road from the station on the PuG Leeds crawl. If going in blind I'd certainly choose to visit a Nicholson's pub over a Spoons.
    WE ARE THE BREADMEN - UP THE BEES

With chains as big as Spoons and Nicholson's your going to get good,bad, better and worse across the group. A pubs a pub review it as you find it.

Review Without Prejudice
    Last edited by hondo; 04-03-2014 at 07:39.
    "Do I know where hell is? hell is in hello"