Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big Brother at large in Consett

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

Unhappy Big Brother at large in Consett

Came across this bit of nonsense, need to produce photo ID before getting a drink, seems like Consett would be a place to
    avoid

ID scheme proposed to reduce alcohol-related trouble in Consett

Would anyone here agree to have their details taken by a pub owner before they could get a drink?

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/new..._by_bar_owner/

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Next week they will announce that you need to hand the glass back to get your ID back, and your DNA will mysteriously appear on the DNA register a month later.

I'm not sure which bit offends me more, the introduction of ID cards by the back door, or the fact they have found another way to pointlessly reduce pub business.

This is a reply I received from Belushis in London Bridge after I took exception to being asked for photo id to enter on a week night when nobody else was in there:

“Sorry to hear you had a bad time Stronger... Just to let everyone know, Belushi's in London Bridge now has a strictly ID only entry policy as they're using new ID Scan technology - Club scan for all customers protection.. and its working out quite nicely!”

SHOW ME YOUR PAPERS!
    WE ARE THE BREADMEN - UP THE BEES

Official PG MILD tester Soup Dragon's Avatar

Thanks for showing me all your personal stuff - now, did you want Car*ing, or Fost*rs?
    MILD:

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Quote Originally Posted by Soup Dragon View Post
    Thanks for showing me all your personal stuff - now, did you want Car*ing, or Fost*rs?
    This is a measure against violent crime?

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
    This is a measure against violent crime?
    Sounds like a way of goading otherwise placid drinkers INTO violent crime perpetrated against jobsworth doormen if you ask me.

Although when I was asked to prove my age in Colchester last year I chose to view it as a compliment. Having said that, if the doorman's judgement is so poor that he thinks I am under 18, you have to ask why he's beign employed in that role.

I know one pub will ONLY accept passport as proof of age. Driving lience and official proof of age card are out of the question. I really don't want carry around with passport and it may get stolen or cloned.

Result was customers boycotted the pub and takings were down. They still running the scheme despite boycotting..
    J.D Wetherspoon = Home of Hoppy: The Silk Kite, Tamworth.. http://www.tamworthblog.co.uk/2009/0...-blogs-review/

Former Pubs Galore Coder

I have to admit the bit that offended me most is that they are recording it. Quickly flashing my drivers licence I could live with every now and then. No way in hell I would carry round my passport with me in the UK though.

Quote Originally Posted by hopwas View Post
    I really don't want carry around with passport and it may get stolen or cloned.
    Ah, now this is where the 'ol I.D. Card scheme comes in!

Not to long before your visits are recorded by scanned cards, your drinks also recorded. Soon a card arrives from your G.P saying you are exceeding govt. guidelines on alcohol consumption and would you like to talk about your apparent alcholism. How is showing a card, as shown in Manchester to be easily counterfieted, going to improve your safety ? Trouble can kick off anywhere anytime. We have all probably seen our share of it.
    Google Street View is nothing compared to Govt. Agency data bases on recording facts and figures about us.