Ads not shown when logged in

Thread: Birmingham tidy up

This Space For Hire

Default Birmingham tidy up

As a Brummie by birth I look at the West Midlands every so often and note that the areas served are quite inaccurate to where pubs actually are. Assume the postcode package places pubs directly into certain areas but it doesn't really reflect the physical location on the ground.

Is there any way a few of the locals could begin to tidy this up rather than my OCD begin a one man campaign to set all the locations in the suburbs these pubs serve?

For example Selly Park Tavern is in Selly Park (clue in pub title and the suburb signs on the roads in Birmingham when getting to it) and a hell of a walk from Selly Oak as I've walked it from my parents when younger. More Bournbrook/Edgbaston, Note Bournbrook not added either.

From a brief review I see no areas such as Billseley, Yardley Wood, Maypole, Alum Rock, Bearwood and West Heath etc etc added as sub areas of where pubs are.

Think soup dragon could assist as he recently seemed to of added reviews to lots of pubs I used to frequent/visited in South West Birmingham.
    Last edited by bcfczuluarmy; 29-01-2014 at 22:52.

There is the facility to change the area a pub is in or add new areas but only as far as the "served areas" tag under the address is concerned.

Log in, go to the pub page click on Correct Details then on Setup pubs locations, you should then get a list of nearby places already set up and the option to add an area if you think that would make things clearer.

Official PG MILD tester Soup Dragon's Avatar

Hi Jon,

I lived in Brum from 1971 - 1992 and know it well - and am currently doing every pub on the list (plus a few i have found!).

I think the problem with 'areas' is really what constitutes one, as you have current areas and sub-areas within them - add to that historic areas and it can become confusing. As long as they are roughly within a certain area they are listed as, i can live with it! I am more interested in simpy visiting!
    MILD:

It also depends on how broad an area you want a named area to cover. You could divide a city into very small local areas but then it starts to become less helpful to users of the site.

There are localities outside of the city centre such as Hockley, Digbeth, Harborne, Moseley etc that are quite popular but then many other locations don't get reviewed because they don't have a sufficient density of appealing pubs.

Good luck Soup D. Are you doing it by bus or have you persuaded Mrs Soup to drive?
    Waes hael!

When I did Brighton I put every pub in Brighton into ‘Brighton Central’ so that they all came up if someone was looking for a pub in central Brighton. I then used my local knowledge and historical maps to split them up into geographical areas, obviously after I had corrected every map point!

If a pub lay between two areas I put it in both to cover all bases. I tried to imagine that I had found myself in Brighton and I didn’t know the area but I knew I was in e.g. Hanover and I wanted to visit all the local pubs.
    It took some time, but I like to think that the land of the Seagulls is the ‘tidiest’ in the land!

WE ARE THE BREADMEN - UP THE BEES

Official PG MILD tester Soup Dragon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Ven View Post
    Good luck Soup D. Are you doing it by bus or have you persuaded Mrs Soup to drive?
    It is a mix of bus/train, Mrs S and when i drive myself. If driving, i tend to do check out the closed ones - i am usually playing footy so am thirsty afterwards which means i am happy to drink half of shandy, or MILD in a basic pub and leave - it works well really. I can then identify good ones and return on bus crawls, as recently with the Selly Park Tavern for example (i went through the pulls!).

It has made me realise just how many pubs have gone from the lists that were on PG - frightening
    MILD: