Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cask Marque misses the mark

This Space For Hire

Default Cask Marque misses the mark

I was in a Cask Marque pub recently and got 2 haves of different beer one was ice cold (imo) and the other was perfect temp.I said to the landlord that one of the beers was too cold .He felt the glasses and agreed there was a noticeable difference but said he had checked the temp this morning and they were within the 10-14 degree range for real ale. Camra say 12-14. I prefer my beer at the top of the range as you can get the flavour of the beer better specially the weaker beers. Are Cask Marque moving the goalposts so its easier to get a recommendation or is Camra just guessing about what the temp should be.

The ideal is reckoned to be to serve beer at the temperature at which it was fermented, that used to be easy , 55F (13C) for top fermented beer and 6-8C for bottom fermented. CAMRA seems to have changed that slightly, the current GBG states 11-12C with 8-10C for "some golden summer beers". Cask Marque have, I believe, always gone with the lower temperature range.

My preference is for about 11C (52F) for most "brown" bitters and milds, a touch higher for stout/porter and a touch lower for blondes/golden. Being served slightly cold is better than slightly warm of course. 14C (57F) strikes me as too warm.

I didn't understand ice cold lager until I had a warm Carling

There was a bloke in our branch who used to carry a digital thermometer round with him which would go straight into the beer once at the table.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinno View Post
    There was a bloke in our branch who used to carry a digital thermometer round with him which would go straight into the beer once at the table.
    I walked into The Seven Stars a few years ago with a couple of mates, the landlady, Roxy, said you're not CAMRA members are you? No we lied ,she didn't look in the mood for messing, Iv'e had em in here sticking thermometers in the beer ,if you are you can bugger off.
    We remained undercover and had some decent beer, no idea what the temperature was though.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    I walked into The Seven Stars a few years ago with a couple of mates, the landlady, Roxy, said you're not CAMRA members are you? No we lied ,she didn't look in the mood for messing, Iv'e had em in here sticking thermometers in the beer ,if you are you can bugger off.
    We remained undercover and had some decent beer, no idea what the temperature was though.
    Publicans tend to confuse Cask Marque with CAMRA , possibly on purpose. I got a diatribe about Camra (telling him how to run his pub, bunch of know-nothing tossers, usual stuff) from a publican who'd just had an inspection, turned out it was Cask Marque.

Quote Originally Posted by NickDavies View Post
    Publicans tend to confuse Cask Marque with CAMRA , possibly on purpose.
    The times when I've encountered similar just turns out that the publican is a thicko. There are quite a few about, I think the industry IQ is fairly low....

Quote Originally Posted by Quinno View Post
    I did that in the Drum years ago when I thought the beer was coming up too warm.

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    I was in a Cask Marque pub recently and got 2 haves of different beer one was ice cold (imo) and the other was perfect temp.I said to the landlord that one of the beers was too cold .He felt the glasses and agreed there was a noticeable difference but said he had checked the temp this morning and they were within the 10-14 degree range for real ale. Camra say 12-14. I prefer my beer at the top of the range as you can get the flavour of the beer better specially the weaker beers. Are Cask Marque moving the goalposts so its easier to get a recommendation or is Camra just guessing about what the temp should be.
    I have a theory that beer lines that are close to the keg cooling systems that churn out hot air (or punters / staff doing the same thing) make the beer warmer, most notceably in hot weather.

I'll stay on me own

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    I did that in the Drum years ago when I thought the beer was coming up too warm.
    How sad that some Camra members have to take thermometers round with them to check the temperature of beer.

I thought drinking beer was meant to be a pleasure without having to think if bar staff were standing in the wrong place or what this line or that was in the correct or incorrect place.

If i had any thoughts about joining Camra,things like this put me off from ever joining it.

Quote Originally Posted by Al 10000 View Post
    How sad that some Camra members have to take thermometers round with them to check the temperature of beer.

I thought drinking beer was meant to be a pleasure without having to think if bar staff were standing in the wrong place or what this line or that was in the correct or incorrect place.

If i had any thoughts about joining Camra,things like this put me off from ever joining it.
    I don't normally carry a thermometer! In this case I visited the Drum most nights and the beer had been too warm for several days and nobody seemed interested in sorting it out. The reference to hot air and staff / punters was meant to be a joke!
    If a beer line runs next to the warm air being emitted by a keg cooler then it is going to warm the beer up unless it is being constantly pulled through.