Ads not shown when logged in

Thread: ladies and gentleman please

This Space For Hire

Default ladies and gentleman please

Ladies and gents fine guys and gals no. I have come across lots of daft signs for pub toilets but I was puzzled by the toilet signs in a pub in Barnes. Toilets upstairs no problem but on the 2 toilet doors a white 3x2 inch white sign with a stickman drawing with a yellow design on both.I was bursting so opened the first which was the ladies then the other which was the gents.I came out and studied the hieroglyphics. Now I understand stickman with yellow bow tie. Stickman with yellow bow in her hair. Original but still daft.

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    Ladies and gents fine guys and gals no. I have come across lots of daft signs for pub toilets but I was puzzled by the toilet signs in a pub in Barnes. Toilets upstairs no problem but on the 2 toilet doors a white 3x2 inch white sign with a stickman drawing with a yellow design on both.I was bursting so opened the first which was the ladies then the other which was the gents.I came out and studied the hieroglyphics. Now I understand stickman with yellow bow tie. Stickman with yellow bow in her hair. Original but still daft.
    The other day I found "doods" and "doodettes" in Bradford of all places, but the worst offender for confusion is probably Friends of Ham, and speaking of Real Ale Ray and the 'pool Pogue Mohone has them labelled in Irish . Only slightly less irritating are the jokey names in the "Cocks" and "Hens" vein, sometimes you do get one that works, for example many years ago the Gents at White Horse Inn was labelled "Tool Shed" .

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    The other day I found "doods" and "doodettes" in Bradford of all places, but the worst offender for confusion is probably Friends of Ham, and speaking of Real Ale Ray and the 'pool Pogue Mohone has them labelled in Irish . Only slightly less irritating are the jokey names in the "Cocks" and "Hens" vein, sometimes you do get one that works, for example many years ago the Gents at White Horse Inn was labelled "Tool Shed" .
    In the seventies when scampi in the basket was haute cuisine there was a fad for doing pubs up with a nautical theme, all fishing nets and displays of different kinds of knots and a model of a bloke in a beard going "yo ho ho". The bogs were inevitably labelled "buoys" and "gulls".

Nowadays they tend to be inflicted on us by some clueless corporate design office whose brief is to show how wacky and informal they are, the same people who think serving chips in little metal buckets is the way forward.

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NickDavies View Post
    In the seventies when scampi in the basket was haute cuisine there was a fad for doing pubs up with a nautical theme, all fishing nets and displays of different kinds of knots and a model of a bloke in a beard going "yo ho ho". The bogs were inevitably labelled "buoys" and "gulls".

Nowadays they tend to be inflicted on us by some clueless corporate design office whose brief is to show how wacky and informal they are, the same people who think serving chips in little metal buckets is the way forward.
    Oh, you've seen the reviews for The Sir Loin Of Beef have you?

Not corporate at all, but certainly in the "buoys" and "gulls" league

If in Pompey, well worth the detour
    I drink to make others more interesting

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    Doods and doodettes.You have made my day.Hipster Bradford no less.

When I first visited The E5 Anchor and Hope about 40 years ago when Fuller's had just taken it over from Tolly Cobbold it was Ducks and Drakes which was easy enough even after several pints of ESB. However the Irish titles in The Aberystwyth Ship and Castle when it was Flannery's caused me no end of grief.
    I have no problems with the Welsh Merched and Dynion, but wonder how many would know which is which.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    I have no problems with the Welsh Merched and Dynion, but wonder how many would know which is which.
    Based on Dy Reece (excuse spelling) from Twin Town Karaoke King fame I'll go with Dynion as men.
    Last edited by bcfczuluarmy; 30-01-2014 at 22:41.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by bcfczuluarmy View Post
    Based on Dy Reece (excuse spelling) from Twin Town Karaoke King fame I'll go with Dynion as men.
    Loved that film Twin town.