Ads not shown when logged in

Thread: Boars head in Perry Barr - pub or not ???

Default Boars head in Perry Barr - pub or not ???

Time to open the can of worms again - when is a pub not a pub ?

I was in Perry Barr a few weeks ago when i walked past the Boars Head. It claims to be the Boars Head World Buffet - The Boars Head

I thought why not try and have a beer? I walked in to be met by some sort of head waiter type in a suit. I said I didn't want to eat but could I have a drink? He seemed unimpressed and mumbled something about being very busy ( which it was to be fair! ) I stood my ground and he reluctantly said OK you can have a drink and sit in the waitng area. I got my pint at the bar and sat down. The waiting area wasn't the most comfortable but I have been in worse places.

A quick look at the website seems to indicate that you dont have to eat _ " So if it's a pre meal drink, something to accompany your meal, a post meal tipple or if you're not tempted to indulge in our cuisine then allow yourself to enjoy a drink from our extensive choice at our finest bar, relax and enjoy the ambience and experience all the Boars Head has to offer. "

So the question is should it be marked as open - with a review to state this situation - or not ?

It meets my criteria. I walked in, didn't have to pay, join or have a meal. I bought a drink and drank it !! I am counting it as a pub visit.

I'll throw it open .... Can't be any worse than a Cafe Rouge eh Soupy !!!!

Del.

I am a salmon !!

I'd add it and let people know the situation in your review.
    WE ARE THE BREADMEN - UP THE BEES

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

What is important is that you have visited the place,and it meets your requirements for a pub visit.I would agree with Strongers,include the useful detail you have discussed in this tread in your review (especially the info from their website about not having to buy a meal )and request that the pub be listed as open.
    Last edited by Bucking Fastard; 26-01-2014 at 20:25.
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Agh! These ghastly holding area bars. Technically, many are eligible for inclusion, but are they in the spirit of the site? Nah.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

As others, I would include it, meets the criteria often used. Walk in get a drink

I have never been in that one obviously, but I bet there are worse bars belonging to pubs than a wait to be seated area bar in a gastro pub
    I drink to make others more interesting

Official PG MILD tester Soup Dragon's Avatar

I did have it opened, then closed with a review saying it is a buffet restaurant! My view is that it doesn't matter whether it is open or closed so long as the comment is on that it isn't a pub!
    MILD: