Ads not shown when logged in
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: The Guinness and Gold Cup Blog

Wandering, or wondering, or wandering in.

Default Saturday Morning - The Gloria Gaynor moment (I Will Survive)

I'm not particularly good this morning, but nothing that a double shot of Resolve Extra shouldn't sort out. The remnants of a fish supper are in evidence which I have vague memories of picking up on the long walk back to the hotel around 11pm last night. The day started at 10:15am with a Breakfast Bloomer at JDW on Deansgate and from then on consisted of a large number of beers, Thwaits Wainwright in JDW then Holts Bitter at the Egerton Arms until the inevitable decline towards Mr Jack Daniels and Karaoke. I did manage to sneak out with the Happy Frenchman for a chat and we visited the nearby New Oxford and Kings Arms. Grailhunter will I am sure like both pubs, I'm sure I recall seeing a chocolate stout, and I think we'll go back today.

GH should have arrived in Manchester yesterday as should have Chris, or Fizzy Piss (FP) as he should be known after the Bath Tour, who I think is checked into this hotel. The Happy Frenchman is also possibly staying somewhere in the City Centre and we made vague plans to meet up today before he gets a train to Ipswich. But that's all in the future, what I need now is another couple of hours kip and to let that Resolve Extra kick in.

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Millay View Post
    Jack Daniels and Karaoke.
    Goodness, that 'K' word simply jumped off the page!!! I'm not sure your sensitive readers are going to be able to cope with the gruesome details of such a slippery slope Millay...

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    Goodness, that 'K' word simply jumped off the page!!! I'm not sure your sensitive readers are going to be able to cope with the gruesome details of such a slippery slope Millay...
    I'm pleased to say that I did not succumb, but as for our resident Karaoke King Andy, well we couldn't get the mike away from him. Thankfully Martin didn't turn up, his rendition of Benny Hill's Ernie last year is one that is not easily forgotten.

Default Saturday Morning - The Rain it Raineth Every Day (It's the Law)

How it pours, pours, pours, in a never ending sheet
    How it drives beneath the doors, how it soaks the passer's feet
    How it rattles on the shutter, how it rumples up the lawn
    How 'twill sigh and moan and mutter, from darkness until dawn.

Well dawn has come and gone and it's still bleeding raining. Not ideal crawling weather but the forecast for tomorrow looks more promising. I'm not sure if we made any definite plans for today, although it's loosley based on Manchester around midday then into Salford later to maybe meet up with ROBCamra. I need to round up the troops and see who is around. The Happy Frenchman either stayed with Andy or checked into the Britannia Sachas, maybe Andy stayed there as well. Chris should be in this hotel somewhere or out walking in the rain. Grailhunter fell for one of those Lenny Henry adverts and has booked a cheap Premier Inn somewhere on the Scottish border. Actually it's somewhere out near Swinton.

Just had a call from him, he's on his way to Manchester and we're meeting in the Piccadilly Wetherspoons for breakfast at 10:30. Let's see if the Happy Frenchman is around.

I'm not sure if we made any definite plans for today, although it's loosley based on Manchester around midday then into Salford later to maybe meet up with ROBCamra.
    Left you a PM Millay.

We're off to The Crescent at Salford Crescent this afternoon. Hope to meet up with the merry bloggers later around Salford Central.

I think I'll start drinking now to be at the same level by the time we meet up.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

Default Sunday Morning - These Foolish Things Remind me of You

When you've had a long day drinking, as we did on Friday, it's usually half way through the next day when you start remembering what happened and people bring up events in conversation that you either hadn't remembered or had missed. Well yesterday there were two events that came to light falling into the second category. On the basis of 'what happens on tour stays on tour', there will be no names mentioned here

Firstly there is the tale of one of our party wrestling on the floor of a pub with a big bird in a pink dress who at one stage was attempting to wrap her legs around his head (this apparently constitutes foreplay in Manchester). On extricating himself from this precarious situation he was found to have lost his glasses, which were later found in a mangled mess on the floor. Somehow he managed to find his way home though.

Another tale is of a gentleman propositioned by a lady of dubious virtue outside a fish & chip shop. You know what it's like, you're innocently tucking into a late night supper and someone wants to talk about 'business'. You don't know whether to hold onto your virtue, your wallet or your chips. Thankfully our nameless tourist held onto all three. Apparently there was some confusion in that he enquired about getting hold of some tartar sauce and ended up with a saucy tart - well at least that's what the court will be told anyway

Default Sunday Morning - Reviewing a 'Quiet' Day

My apologies for not providing your nightly entertainment yesterday, I didn't even fire up the magic box last night, you can blame ROBCamra for that. After four days on tour I had rather 'hit the wall', I was feeling a little jaded and looking forward to a quiet day, well that's how it started but it wasn't how it finished.

The day started exactly as the previous one had, with breakfast and a pint of Thwaits Wainwright in a Wetherspoons, this time the one on Piccadilly. A truely awful place that warranted a police presence even at 10:30 in the morning. Along with it always having to rain, I discovered another law in Manchester, on a Saturday morning everyone is required to dig out their best tracksuit and have breakfast in a Wetherspoons. The Happy Frenchman joined us and I was the last to arrive finding that Chris' influence had worn off on them and they were all sitting there drinking FP

After that experience we then went walking in the rain to the Crown & Kettle where we eased ourselves a little further into the day with a couple of pints watching the first half of the Villa v Wolves game. Beers were Longboat from somewhere and Titanic's White Star. As the rain eased we headed towards the station and said our farewells to The Happy Frenchman who was heading back home, via Ipswich, via London. So just the three of us now, me Grailhunter and Chris. We had a pint in the Crown & Anchor (Deuchars, Landlord and Fosters) then walked to Piccadilly to pick up a bus to Salford.

Eschewing the scene of the previous day's activities (the Egerton Arms) I took the guys to the New Oxford, a fantastic pub with somewhere around 15 handpumps and about a dozen proper lagers for FP to choose from. Beers that spring to mind are Simply Stout from local Rochdale brewery Greenmile, Run of the Mill from Arkwrights, Boggarts ESP and Reverend Day (?). We pumped a small fortune into the quiz machine and I was starting to get over my jaded feeling and finding my drinking head again. This was just as well as we were about to encounter Mr & Mrs ROBCamra who, after a couple more in the New Oxford, took us in a tour of the local area.

(Hang on a sec, just going to put the kettle on and make myself a cup of tea - mustn't make the same mistake as Grailhunter though, he's still walking funny)

First stop was the Kings Head where I'd called into briefly the previous day. A good pub this with a fair bit of history. Beer of choice was a Walk on the Mild Side but they seemed to have had a busy afternoon and many of the clips were turned around. Off next to what appeared to be the entrance to a subway but turned out to be a decent little cellar bar, the Mark Addy. Had a nice Leprechaun Stout from the Banktop Brewery. We said farewell to Grailhunter now who, to be fair, did have a long journey ahead of him back to his hotel. Final stop was the Black Lion where conversation flowed as effortlessly as the beer. ROBC went for a Full Malty and my eye was caught by the range of bottled bers from the St Bernardus brewery. These range from around 5.5% up to the blue labelled one that comes in at around 10%, can you guess which one I went for?

That just about finished my 'quiet' day. It was good to meet up with Mr & Mrs ROBCamra (and I got to know where the name was derived from). It also gave them a chanced to tick off another couple of PG members as I believe they have met a few of you over recent months. Chris and I headed back to the Centre and I graciously let him 'dump the old boy' and go off clubbing somewhere. As for myself I returned to the hotel and considered ordering room service but fell asleep before I could do so. Well at least I think I did, let me check outside the door for a cold pizza. No it's OK nothing there.

Default Sunday Morning - Another Day Another Beer

Today is the day of the Stockport pub crawl. I'm still not sure what route we'll be taking but I think trainman's suggestion of doing the Crown first is a good one, then we'll try to get to as many of the Swan with Two Necks, Queens Head, Arden Arms, Railway and Ye Olde Vic as we can.

Grailhunter should be on the 5:40am Cross-Country Express arriving Manchester Piccaddilly around 11am and Chris and I will take the short stroll to meet him there. It's possible that Andy might meet up with us at some stage if he has recovered from Friday.

My apologies for not providing your nightly entertainment yesterday, I didn't even fire up the magic box last night, you can blame ROBCamra for that.
    I'm not sure how much blame I should be taking when after a long days drinking someone's final two beers of choice are a pint of 6% stout followed by a 10% bottle of Belgian loopy juice.

We arrived at Salford Crescent station at about 3:40 and set off on the wet walk to The Crescent. This is a fine old pub that is in desperate need of some TLC. It’s recently had a paint job on the outside, so here’s hoping for something on the inside.

There were the usual fine array of cask ales on the bar along with a couple of real ciders, although how exactly Saxon’s Cherry & Pear cider can be called a cider I don’t know. A couple of pints here Summer Wine Strata & Coastal May Bee for me and two halves of Mallinsons Crescent for Ms CAMRA.

We then set off for the New Oxford. We entered the pub, had a look at the many beers and I chose Rapscallion from Northern brewery and Ms CAMRA chose red wine. There were 3 guys at the end of the bar near the quiz machine and as we sat down I said “I’ll bet those guys are Millay and crew”. I phoned Millay and sure enough one of the guys pulled out his phone. Contact made. We then joined Millay, Grailhunter and Chris at the end of the bar.

Another pint followed, Northumberland’s John Beresford for me and we then took the short walk down to the Kings Head where as Millay has already mentioned Allgates Walk on the Mild Side was the beer of choice.

Another short walk around the corner to the newly refurbished Mark Addy. This has been a pub on the slide for some time now but it was bought by the chef Robert Owen Brown last October and has been transformed. It’s a bit gastro but not overly so and has 4 handpumps on the bar. TT Landlord + 3 changing guests. A pint of Wyre Piddle Piddle On The Pump for me.

After that we retraced our steps a bit and headed off to The Black Lion. This is another recently reopened and transformed pub under the same Management as the New Oxford. Grailhunter had departed along the way to find transport to his distant hotel. Chris was in his element drinking Stroparama (aka Staropramen), Ms CAMRA was still on the red wine, I had a pint of Wentworth Full Malty & a Funny Bunny from Northern, Millay had loopy juice.

Once again as is usual on these days out a wormhole opened and after discussing everything from beer to holidays to beer to pubs etc (I don’t think we got around to Finnish Scrabble (see the Rogerb blog) but given time we would have) it was time to leave.

Millay & Chris headed back to Piccadilly, we caught the train home and then ordered a Lamb Jalfrezi & a Lamb Kharai to be delivered.

A fine day out. Plenty of good beer, good company and a curry to finish it off. What more could you want? Thanks guys, let’s do it again next time you’re around town.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by ROBCamra View Post
    A fine day out. Plenty of good beer, good company and a curry to finish it off. What more could you want? Thanks guys, let’s do it again next time you’re around town.
    I'll second that, a very enjoyable afternoon, thanks for showing us around.