Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Guinness and Gold Cup Blog

Real Ale Drinker

Have just returned to the hotel after a fairly sedate first evening in Edinburgh city centre.
    First port of call was the Abbotsford which is one of my favourite Edinburgh pubs. Had a stonking pint of Dark Island which is one of my favourite beers. Wanted to stay for more than one but thought I ought to move on. Definitely want to go back there though during the week. Moved on to the Kenilworth. Another of my favorite pubs here. I really like the decor in here. A decent pint of Caledonian 80 Shillings. Moved on to the Rose & Crown where Dark Island was on again and I couldn't resist a couple here whilst watching Liverpool take Portsmouth to the cleaners.
    Decided to head back to the hotel after this to conserve my strength for tomorrow.
    So, am now about to have a nightcap of Carlsberg Export - I know but it's the best you can get in a Travelodge. Hope it doesn't upset the constitution for tomorrow.

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Grailhunter View Post
    I know but it's the best you can get in a Travelodge.
    It's not one of the Travelodge sites that were committing to stock the champion bottled beer then? (Titanic Stout).

Real Ale Drinker

Nope not that lucky. Had a good look at the fridge and it's full of the usual fizzy rubbish.

Wandering, or wondering, or wandering in.

Nope not that lucky. Had a good look at the fridge and it's full of the usual fizzy rubbish.
    Not as bad as the awful Travelodge in Brighton then. There was no bar to speak of, nothing on draught and I ended up with a warm can of Guinness.

Just finished packing, time for a few hours kip before getting up for the cricket tomorrow and heading for the airport.

Default Day 2 - Tuesday morning

Got up to see the afternoon session of the cricket thinking that it might be all over, only to find that we haven’t managed to shift even one of those stubborn Bangladeshi batsmen in the morning session. Better news just after the break though as Swann gets centurion Siddique to edge one to Colly. The new batsman comes in and smacks Swann back over his head for a 4 and a 6, does this young man know nothing of his country’s proud tradition of losing Test Matches.

Commentators are currently Bob Willis and Mike Atherton who has just trolled out the line “Captains are born not made”, it’s enough to send me back to sleep. Hang on though, here we go, Swann with another wicket as he spots Rahim coming down the pitch and slips in a quicker one that bowls him. Now Broad gets in on the action and traps the new batsman in front. It's 301-8 and the Fat Lady is warming up.
    Last edited by Millay; 16-03-2010 at 06:52. Reason: Another wicket - and another one.

Quote Originally Posted by Millay View Post
    Thanks gill, another vote for this new City Inn then, will have to try it. Normally get to the Smithfield and if we make the Marble Arch will drop into the Angel. Salford looking good as well.
    We're in Salford on Saturday, trains permitting.

We'll be crawling from The Crescent to the New Oxford, Kings Arms, then a small detour to The Mark Addy to see what it's like now it's been refurbed and is selling cask again and finishing up at the Black Lion.

We'll then be getting the mere 20 minute train ride home to the dale, the home of The Baum.

Does Rochdale have a chance for the Sunday trip out?

Cask & Feather, Flying Horse, Regal Moon, Baum had 23 different beers on between them last weekend.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

Default Tuesday morning

Cricket won, last bit of packing done and I'm ready to go.

I’m leaving myself plenty of time this morning and aim to get to the airport around two hours before my 12:15 flight and take advantage of the BMI lounge. I’m also remembering my previous chaotic flight up to Edinburgh last year. Not being able to afford a chauffeur driven limo to the airport I decided to get a Greenline bus, which would take just over one hour. Having seen one go sailing by 10 minutes early as I exited my front door the next one was predictably 10 minutes late but I still thought I’d get there in good time. Then a combination of a lack of information and my own stupidity took over and things went a bit wrong. We reached Heathrow Bus Station where a few people got off and I assumed we would then head off around the terminals. Once we had passed the sixth sign for T 1,2 & 3 I started to feel a bit uneasy but not as much as I did as we pulled up outside T5. On enquiring of the driver if he was going to T1 he told me I should have got off at the Bus Station.

It was now just 20 minutes before check-in was due to close so in blind panic I jumped into a cab and asked the driver to get me to T1 as quickly as possible. Now if you give that sort of challenge to most London taxi drivers they’ll set off like a bat out of hell and do a passing impression of Charlton Heston’s chariot driving in Ben Hur. Unfortunately I think the only movie this bloke had seen was Driving Miss Daisy. Consequently I arrived hot and sweaty at the check-in desk two minutes late, and it had cost me a £15 cab fare. I clearly hadn’t realised that they’d built T5 in Birmingham.

So I’m taking no chances and will be leaving soon so this is the final post before we, hopefully, go mobile.

PS - ROBCamra - I'll PM you later re the weekend

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

I surprised Millay, living in Watford, that you're not making the rather shorter trip to Luton for an Easyjet flight?

Real Ale Drinker

Hmmm. Good point Trainman. Millay mentions spending time in the BMI lounge so I wonder whether that means he's forked out to go Business Class ! Surely not. That extra money could be put to much better use in the pubs of Edinburgh and Manchester (or even on the nag in the Gold Cup on friday).

Having had a lie in this morning I'm feeling fresh and alert for whatever the day throws at me (or for whatever ales I throw down my neck later). The Carlsberg Export appears to have had no lasting effects thankfully.

Off to get some food now to line the stomach. Must try and remain sober until Millay gets here !

Hmmm. Good point Trainman. Millay mentions spending time in the BMI lounge so I wonder whether that means he's forked out to go Business Class ! Surely not. That extra money could be put to much better use in the pubs of Edinburgh and Manchester (or even on the nag in the Gold Cup on friday).
    Yes Business Class but spending air miles so only paying £23 taxes. However before I hit the BC lounge I've popped into the Skylark (JDW) for a pint of Skinners Figgy's Brew. So don't worry about staying sober Grailhunter, seems I've started before you.