Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 41 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: New pubs visited 2014

Default New pubs visited 2014

A belated happy New Year to one and all. Here we go for another year.

I was well down on my target for last year. I only managed 113 new pubs (my target was 150) but that is still 2 new pubs a week. I also had fewer holidays/weekends away so I didn't do too badly.

I am going for 150 as a minmum this year !!!

Kicked off with 3 in Perry Barr on Saturday. Bring it on ....

Good luck everyone

I am a salmon !!

So much for my New Year's resolution...

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    One of my drinking mates reckons that the reason he's not a beer ticker is that if your favourite beer in the whole world is on the bar, but there are five new beers too, you have to "tick" the five rather than drinking your favourite. That's a little how I feel after doing all these "new" pubs this year, so in 2014 I'm going to relax and visit some old favourites. Any "new" pubs that I come across will be ticked, of course, but I'll not go out of my way to get them.

Or at least, not so far out of my way.
    ...I went to Lincoln on Saturday and did six new pubs, and only three that I'd been in before. To be fair, one of them was so good I did it twice, so that's almost like "visiting some old favourites". Next up will be Newark on Wednesday: five new pubs. The rest of the month is looking a little quieter though, so there's still a good chance of overcoming this addiction.
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    So much for my New Year's resolution...

...I went to Lincoln on Saturday and did six new pubs, and only three that I'd been in before.
    I'm sure this has been covered before, what constitutes a new pub, the above confuses me, I did in passing 40 brand new virgin pubs to me last year, there were a few I had visited 15-20 years previously and have changed completely, to my mind, although different they are still the same pub(maybe only by name and location) so not counted, am I short changing myself?
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    I'm sure this has been covered before, what constitutes a new pub, the above confuses me, I did in passing 40 brand new virgin pubs to me last year, there were a few I had visited 15-20 years previously and have changed completely, to my mind, although different they are still the same pub(maybe only by name and location) so not counted, am I short changing myself?
    I'm a fairly dilatory reviewer,but I consider a "new" pub to be one not reviewed by me on PUG. I didn't transfer my reviews from BITE after the exodus. I haven't, but would, "update" a review on the change of landlord, brewery of ownership , if that change was material.
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.

Quote Originally Posted by Wittenden View Post
    I'm a fairly dilatory reviewer,but I consider a "new" pub to be one not reviewed by me on PUG. I didn't transfer my reviews from BITE after the exodus. I haven't, but would, "update" a review on the change of landlord, brewery of ownership , if that change was material.
    I can see your point, I too haven't transferred any reviews over, albeit under a different username , they are now old and in my book no longer relevant, but that's a different argument . The way I read it is , the title of the thread is New Pubs Visited ,not reviewed, so I am still a little in the dark as regards to the actual rules.
    -W.C.Fields

This Space For Hire gillhalfpint's Avatar

I only count a pub if it is not on my excel sheet of pubs I have visited, no matter if before or after I joined here. It doesn't matter if I have reviewed it or not. If I have visited it, I don't count it as a new pub.
    Alcohol doesn't solve problems .... but then again, neither does milk.

Quote Originally Posted by gillhalfpint View Post
    I only count a pub if it is not on my excel sheet of pubs I have visited, no matter if before or after I joined here. It doesn't matter if I have reviewed it or not. If I have visited it, I don't count it as a new pub.
    Good, that's how I see it.
    -W.C.Fields

I consider a new pub to be one that I've not reviewed yet. I don't have any spread sheets that list pubs visited so I rely on PuG to be my database.
    WE ARE THE BREADMEN - UP THE BEES

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    I can see your point, I too haven't transferred any reviews over, albeit under a different username , they are now old and in my book no longer relevant, but that's a different argument . The way I read it is , the title of the thread is New Pubs Visited ,not reviewed, so I am still a little in the dark as regards to the actual rules.
    Everyone applies thier own "rules" and good luck to them !

For me the title says it all - new pubs visited. I am not a frequent reviewer. If I have been in the pub before (no matter how long ago or under another name) it is simply not a "new" pub.

If I go to a town I will try and visit the pubs I havent been in before - even if there are other cracking pubs nearby. If I only had time for one and there were 2 pubs side by side - The best pub in the world which I had been in and an absolute dog-hole which I hadn't then off into the dog-thole it would be !!!

My rules are simple - I have to be a customer of the pub - I have to buy a drink ( doesn't have to be alcoholic although I prefer it to be !)

Cheers,

Del.

I am a salmon !!

Quote Originally Posted by Delboy20 View Post
    Everyone applies thier own "rules" and good luck to them !

For me the title says it all - new pubs visited. I am not a frequent reviewer. If I have been in the pub before (no matter how long ago or under another name) it is simply not a "new" pub.

If I go to a town I will try and visit the pubs I havent been in before - even if there are other cracking pubs nearby. If I only had time for one and there were 2 pubs side by side - The best pub in the world which I had been in and an absolute dog-hole which I hadn't then off into the dog-thole it would be !!!

My rules are simple - I have to be a customer of the pub - I have to buy a drink ( doesn't have to be alcoholic although I prefer it to be !)

Cheers,

Del.
    That's good enough for me ,you are the originator of the thread and your definition is as I thought it should be.
    -W.C.Fields