Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Help with travel planning in London

I'll stay on me own

Quote Originally Posted by NickDavies View Post
    1-4 travelcard still exits but only on Oyster as £7.70 daily price cap

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloa...s-jan-2014.pdf
    I have borrowed an Oyster card,can i use it on the train from Victoria to Peckham Rye,or is just for underground trains.

Thanks Alan

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Al 10000 View Post
    I have borrowed an Oyster card,can i use it on the train from Victoria to Peckham Rye,or is just for underground trains.

Thanks Alan
    Yep, oyster is for trains/buses/trams/tubes, just remember to tap/scan in & out at each end, even if the gates are open... (tho only in on bus/tram),
    Two singles on oyster should work out a little cheaper than a paper ticket on train, but you want to know there's enough on the oyster card, if pay-as-you-go, to get you out at each end (£6 in this case?).

I'll stay on me own

I have just bought an Oyster card online,this is a normal Oyster card not a visitor one,i have put £5.00 on and the card cost me another £5.00,it says this is refundable,does this mean i can go down London next Wednesday and travel about without having to put any more money on it.

Thanks Alan

I have just bought an Oyster card online,this is a normal Oyster card not a visitor one,i have put £5.00 on and the card cost me another £5.00,it says this is refundable,does this mean i can go down London next Wednesday and travel about without having to put any more money on it.

Thanks Alan
    I think the £5 fee is refundable if you decide that you're never ever going to use the Oyster card again, e.g. you take a one way trip to Planet Zorg, or you enter a coma caused by drinking too much Thornbridge Jaipur. The other £5 is loaded onto the card and will be used to cover the cost of your journeys on bus and tube. When you flash it against the card reader it will show £5, not £10, as your card balance.
    Come On You Hatters!

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    I think the £5 fee is refundable if you decide that you're never ever going to use the Oyster card again, e.g. you take a one way trip to Planet Zorg, or you enter a coma caused by drinking too much Thornbridge Jaipur. The other £5 is loaded onto the card and will be used to cover the cost of your journeys on bus and tube. When you flash it against the card reader it will show £5, not £10, as your card balance.
    If you are planning to use anything other than buses and trams you 'll need at least a tenner on your card. It takes a maximum fare, usually £7.50, when you enter the system, and credits you back the difference when you exit. Buses and trams just take the £1.45 flat fare.

They'll refund the deposit and remaining credit if you give the card up.
    Last edited by NickDavies; 15-02-2014 at 16:22.

I'll stay on me own

If you are planning to use anything other than buses and trams you 'll need at least a tenner on your card. It takes a maximum fare, usually £7.50, when you enter the system, and credits you back the difference when you exit. Buses and trams just take the £1.45 flat fare.

They'll refund the deposit and remaining credit if you give the card up.
    Thanks for that Nick,

Where would be the best place to top up my Oyster card when i am in London,

I am arriving at Victoria coach station and was going to get the District or Circle line to Tower Hill then go to Bank for the DLR to Limehouse,do i need to top it up before i travel on the tube.

Cheers Alan

This Space For Hire

Thanks for that Nick,

Where would be the best place to top up my Oyster card when i am in London,

I am arriving at Victoria coach station and was going to get the District or Circle line to Tower Hill then go to Bank for the DLR to Limehouse,do i need to top it up before i travel on the tube.

Cheers Alan
    As will as tube stations you can add credit at lots of paper shops and similar, the sort of places that sell lottery tickets. Looks like there's a place in Victoria Coach station.

http://ticketstoplocator.tfl.gov.uk/LocationLocator/

Off peak single in Zones 1/2 is £2.20 (£2.80 peak) - a tenner will be enough if you only do two rides. Plan any more and you'll need about £15 to give you enough 'float' to get you in the system though the most you can pay all day is £7, but more if you travel in the morning peak

You can change at Monument for the DLR unless you want to do a few City pubs on the way.

I'll stay on me own

As will as tube stations you can add credit at lots of paper shops and similar, the sort of places that sell lottery tickets. Looks like there's a place in Victoria Coach station.

http://ticketstoplocator.tfl.gov.uk/LocationLocator/

Off peak single in Zones 1/2 is £2.20 (£2.80 peak) - a tenner will be enough if you only do two rides. Plan any more and you'll need about £15 to give you enough 'float' to get you in the system though the most you can pay all day is £7, but more if you travel in the morning peak

You can change at Monument for the DLR unless you want to do a few City pubs on the way.
    Thanks for all of your help Nick,

I was going to get off at Monument for a quick change to Bank DLR,i posted it wrong,i meant to say i was getting a tube heading towards Tower Hill.

I have already done most proper pubs in EC2,EC3 and EC4 so not really worth walking round the city area.

Cheers Alan

I'll stay on me own

Ime off down London next Saturday,

is there anywhere where i can top up my oyster card at St Pancrass station without having to go to the tube and wait for ages to do this.

Thanks Alan
    We are all equal,but some are more equal than others

Ime off down London next Saturday,

is there anywhere where i can top up my oyster card at St Pancrass station without having to go to the tube and wait for ages to do this.

Thanks Alan
    You can now use a contactless bank card in the same way as an Oyster card and at the same rates.