Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Help with travel planning in London

I'll stay on me own

Default Help with travel planning in London

I have just booked tickets to go to London on the 25th of January,my first London visit for a few years.

I am travelling by National Express coach arriving at Victoria at 10.50am,i intend doing all pubs in East Dulwich east of the rail lines,plus a few near Peckham Rye station.

I know London quite well but wanted to know the quickest way to get to Peckham Rye station from Victoria coach station,i dont mind changing trains or usuing buses,i have looked at trian options but they only seem to run every 30 mins from Victoria.

Clapham Junction seems a better option,but some of you Londeners may know a bus or other trains that will get me there quicker.

Thanks Alan

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Al 10000 View Post
    I have just booked tickets to go to London on the 25th of January,my first London visit for a few years.

I am travelling by National Express coach arriving at Victoria at 10.50am,i intend doing all pubs in East Dulwich east of the rail lines,plus a few near Peckham Rye station.

I know London quite well but wanted to know the quickest way to get to Peckham Rye station from Victoria coach station,i dont mind changing trains or usuing buses,i have looked at trian options but they only seem to run every 30 mins from Victoria.

Clapham Junction seems a better option,but some of you Londeners may know a bus or other trains that will get me there quicker.

Thanks Alan
    Alan,
    I would say that the quickest route is to take the train from Victoria to Peckham Rye,the journey time is only around 12 minutes but the service is,as you say,half hourly.Time for a quick one in the 'spoons at Victoria Station ? Believe it or not it's in the 2014 GBG
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

Thanks Alan
    Best thing is to use the Transport for London journey planner; a quick version is available from the front page of the TfL website, or the fuller version here:

NB - You can use various search options: station or bus stop name, postcode, address, etc.

I'll stay on me own

Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post
    Alan,
    I would say that the quickest route is to take the train from Victoria to Peckham Rye,the journey time is only around 12 minutes but the service is,as you say,half hourly.Time for a quick one in the 'spoons at Victoria Station ? Believe it or not it's in the 2014 GBG
    Ive already done that Spoons,plus most pubs in the Victoria area,as you probably know i dont like revisiting pubs that i have alrady done when travelling,this is what is causing my problem being dropped off at Victoria coach station,not sure if i can get a travel card and the train in 20 minutes from the coach station.

Thanks for that BF

Aslo thanks rpadam,i will take a look at that site and see what comes from it.

Cheers Alan

Ive already done that Spoons,plus most pubs in the Victoria area,as you probably know i dont like revisiting pubs that i have alrady done when travelling,this is what is causing my problem being dropped off at Victoria coach station,not sure if i can get a travel card and the train in 20 minutes from the coach station.

Thanks for that BF

Aslo thanks rpadam,i will take a look at that site and see what comes from it.

Cheers Alan
    If you just miss the BR train at Victoria then it might be worth getting any train to Clapham Junction and getting the Overground to Peckham Rye. It's a bit of a trek across the bridge but at least you will be making progress. The Victoria Station Spoons is the most expensive one in London!

The TFL Journey planner doesn't always give you the best info but works most of the time.

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Unlucky that the Victoria service is only 2 an hour on the Saturday (4 per hour weekdays), but I doubt you can beat that 12min journey, even with a small wait.
    There are 4 per hour from Clapham, but then you still need to wait for your connection and still 15mins from there to PR, so I'd bite the bullet and see how you get on at Victoria - if you do arrive 10:50 at the coach station, the 11:09 should be about perfect.
    Other route is from London Bridge but, again, change of tube etc to get there make that impracticable...

This Space For Hire

Well the 36 or 436 will take you from Victoria to Peckham, you won't wait more than five minutes or so before one or the other shows up, though you'll be on for half an hour with a following wind.

If you stick to buses the most you will pay all day on Oyster is £4.40, ie three and a bit rides.
    Last edited by NickDavies; 06-01-2014 at 16:39.

I'll stay on me own

Thanks for all your help.

I have just found out that Boris has scrapped the zones 1-2 and 2-4 travel cards,all will now be Zone 1-6 costing £9.00,this seems a bit too much having only paid £15 return from Nottingham.

I dont have the faintest idea how the Oyster card works or how you buy one when up here in Nottingham,i will still be going down,is my best option getting a day return from Victoria to Peckham Rye for £5.60,i would have prefered a travel card as this keeps my options open.

Any help with this situation would be appreciated.

I also forgot to say,if any members want a blast round a minimum of 21 pubs in the Peckahm Rye/East Dulwick/Nunhead areas i would be happy to meet up,this will be quite a quick crawl,my coach leaves Victoria at 6.00pm,so i want to get the 17.15 from PR back to Vic.

Thanks for all your help.

I have just found out that Boris has scrapped the zones 1-2 and 2-4 travel cards,all will now be Zone 1-6 costing £9.00,this seems a bit too much having only paid £15 return from Nottingham.

I dont have the faintest idea how the Oyster card works or how you buy one when up here in Nottingham,i will still be going down,is my best option getting a day return from Victoria to Peckham Rye for £5.60,i would have prefered a travel card as this keeps my options open.

Any help with this situation would be appreciated.

I also forgot to say,if any members want a blast round a minimum of 21 pubs in the Peckahm Rye/East Dulwick/Nunhead areas i would be happy to meet up,this will be quite a quick crawl,my coach leaves Victoria at 6.00pm,so i want to get the 17.15 from PR back to Vic.
    I wasn't aware that the 1-4 Travelcard had gone, that's a total disgrace.
    I think your best bet may be to get an Oyster Card and a cheap day return. There is a cap on bus journeys that used to be around two quid. Having said that, there is a £5 refundable deposit on buying an Oyster Card, so unless you envisage using it again it might be worth getting a paper one day Travelcard at Victoria. If you decide to get an Oyster card you can get it in advance from Oyster Online. I would imagine you could book your day return in advance from South East Trains (or is it Southern?).

It seems rather unfair that I can swan around London for nothing, including the rush hour simply for being an old git, but it was also Boris that extended the travel to the rush hour.

I'll pass on the 21 pub crawl, I only drink pints and won't go in keg only or pubs selling just one boring beer. I went to the Kentish Drover Spoons in Peckham a few months ago and that was pretty uninspiring, although it was an interesting building.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    I wasn't aware that the 1-4 Travelcard had gone, that's a total disgrace.
    1-4 travelcard still exits but only on Oyster as £7.70 daily price cap

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloa...s-jan-2014.pdf
    Last edited by NickDavies; 06-01-2014 at 20:12.