Ads not shown when logged in
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Worst Pub of the Year

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by aleandhearty View Post
    Didn't have to think to hard about this, as I'm nominating the same pub as last year. The The Duchess of Cambridge continues to be absolutely woeful, in my eyes. The standard of beer from casks on stillage defies belief. Every time I stay with family nearby, I pop in hoping things have changed and every time I quickly leave saying never again. Thank God for The Tabard, up the road.
    I wasnt going to post on this thread as I cant think of any dire pubs I have been in.Thanks for reminding me.The Duchess of Cambridge has the worst beer I have encountered in London this year.I have been in 5 or 6 times with my son as he likes the keg and bottle stuff but the real ale is shocking.

I've had a few stinkers this year..

4/10

The Rising Sun Slough
    The Old Bell Wash Common
    Traveller's Friend Crookham Common
    The Swan Newbury
    Hogs Head Newbury
    The Prince Of Wales Kintbury
    The Railway Tavern Hungerford
    The Top House Burgess Hill

3/10

The Eagle Old Street, though that was based on the lack of service, me being the only person at the bar on a quiet weekday afternoon...
    The Narrowboat Newbury
    The Queens Arms Goring

2/10 - take a bow, son!

The Old London Apprentice Newbury

There were also some that may well have scored a 1 had common sense not taken hold and guided me out the door before committing myself... eg Snooty Fox Newbury
    Last edited by Quinno; 07-01-2014 at 19:06.

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Quinno View Post
    I've had a few stinkers this year..

4/10

The Rising Sun Slough
    The Old Bell Wash Common (should be a 4!)
    Traveller's Friend Crookham Common
    The Swan Newbury
    Hogs Head Newbury
    The Prince Of Wales Kintbury
    The Railway Tavern Hungerford
    The Top House Burgess Hill

3/10

The Eagle Old Street, though that was based on the lack of service, me being the only person at the bar on a quiet weekday afternoon...
    The Narrowboat Newbury
    The Queens Arms Goring

2/10 - take a bow, son!

The Old London Apprentice Newbury

There were also some that may well have scored a 1 had common sense not taken hold and guided me out the door before committing myself... eg Snooty Fox Newbury

Not a great advert for Newbury ,sounds as dire as my previous visits over 20 years ago.
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

Looks like Newbury is wearing the badge of shame this year......unless someone can come up with a worse place, east London perhaps as it was mentioned on another thread? I would suggest Stourbridge but most of the pubs were shut when I went there so that would be unfair.
    Last edited by oldboots; 07-01-2014 at 16:49.

Official PG MILD tester Soup Dragon's Avatar

From my 2013 experiences, Egremont should tred the primrose path to the everlasting bonfire - hand-in-hand with Smethwick
    MILD:

Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post
    Not a great advert for Newbury ,sounds as dire as my previous visits over 20 years ago.
    And I thought it was posh over there!
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    The Duchess of Cambridge has the worst beer I have encountered in London this year.I have been in 5 or 6 times with my son as he likes the keg and bottle stuff but the real ale is shocking.
    Thanks, LC. Although I'm pretty confident in my palate, it's always nice to be backed up, particularly as the DOC isn't on my manor.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    Looks like Newbury is wearing the badge of shame this year......unless someone can come up with a worse place, east London perhaps as it was mentioned on another thread? I would suggest Stourbridge but most of the pubs were shut when I went there so that would be unfair.
    Romford is pretty dire in every respect. The Spoons prevent it from being a complete disaster but even they are not as good as some in SW, SE and NW London despite the GBG showings. If anyone asks why CAMRA branches put Spoons in the GBG just answer "Romford".

How many people have been to Pwllheli? There's a grim place for pubs if ever I saw one but they are opening a Spoons there this year!

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    Romford is pretty dire in every respect. The Spoons prevent it from being a complete disaster but even they are not as good as some in SW, SE and NW London despite the GBG showings. If anyone asks why CAMRA branches put Spoons in the GBG just answer "Romford".

How many people have been to Pwllheli? There's a grim place for pubs if ever I saw one but they are opening a Spoons there this year!
    OMG
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

I'll stay on me own

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    Ive been to Stourbridge twice and thought it was a decent place to drink in,i have always fancied going to Newbury,i thought it was a fairly nice town with a few Arkells houses.

If you want to drink in some crap towns for real ale,try North Nottinghamshire/Derbyshire or South Yorkshire,if you went to Stavely or Mexborough,you would soon realise how nice Newbury is.