Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Report a Review - Just a Thought

Default Report a Review - Just a Thought

This is a very active and worthwhile section on the Forum , action if necessary is usually taken very swiftly. My question is this, once dealt with should the thread not be deleted as the initial report is meaningless to the new observer,there are not normally any replies by admin to the threads , which I totally understand with the time it would take up but it leaves everyone apart from admin, the reportee and possibly anyone who managed to see it before swift justice has been dealt, in the dark. so currently we have several pages of posts that have become redundant and generally meaningless taking up space.
    Not a real problem on my part, just a thought.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

I see your point, but if the name of the pub is there then perhaps it could serve as a warning, without the details

On a similar subject, I can understand reports of drug taking and illegal activity being swiftly removed, but why report objective post about awful food, not child friendly or poor service? Surely it is all relevant to the pub in question, as I have said before, not every one goes into a pub for real ale, and this site is about pubs, and most have different business models & clientèle

I for one like to see reviews about poor service and indifferent food,even by one time poster, gives me somewhere to avoid if in the area
    Last edited by Farway; 31-12-2013 at 12:52.
    I drink to make others more interesting

Quote Originally Posted by Farway View Post
    I see your point, but if the name of the pub is there then perhaps it could serve as a warning, without the details

On a similar subject, I can understand reports of drug taking and illegal activity being swiftly removed, but why report objective post about awful food, not child friendly or poor service? Surely it is all relevant to the pub in question, as I have said before, not every one goes into a pub for real ale
    I suspect this one will run and run

However I believe last time it was discussed we sort of decided that reviews that were purely winges and added nothing to our knowledge of the pub should be deleted. Few of the winges are objective usually someone has had a bad food experience or been told to control their brats / move a push chair out the way.

Try this blog for the view from behind the bar http://thepublandlady.blogspot.co.uk...tmas-rant.html

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post

However I believe last time it was discussed we sort of decided that reviews that were purely winges and added nothing to our knowledge of the pub should be deleted. Few of the winges are objective usually someone has had a bad food experience or been told to control their brats / move a push chair out the way.

Try this blog for the view from behind the bar http://thepublandlady.blogspot.co.uk...tmas-rant.html
    good to get a different viewpoint
    "Do I know where hell is? hell is in hello"

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

But surely that is the point? May be a one time whinge, but this is a review of what happened to them and others should be aware?

They may not be listing the buildings features, car park or beers, but are reporting & reviewing their experience in a pub, much as many do in reporting no real ale, pump clips "coming soon", overpowering juke box noise, lack of Sky sports, etc etc, the list can go on & on
    Last edited by Farway; 31-12-2013 at 14:58.

Quote Originally Posted by Farway View Post
    But surely that is the point? May be a one time whinge, but this is a review of what happened to them and others should be aware?

They may not be listing the buildings features, car park or beers, but are reporting & reviewing their experience in a pub, much as many do in reporting no real ale, pump clips "coming soon", overpowering juke box noise, lack of Sky sports, etc etc, the list can go on & on
    We are only getting one side of the story, why should I believe what they say?

A one off, subjective, winge tells me nothing except the writer was disappointed, I neither know nor care whither it was really due to poor food or service or, as the Northern Landlady's blog points out, just an idiot with bad manners, poor reading skills, unrealistic expectations or an inflated sense of their own importance. I'll make my own mind up thanks.

I don't take most people's opinions of the beer quality at face value either, it's another subjective judgement. I can sort out fact from opinion so I can look at a description and decide it may or may not be a pub I might enjoy, I want to know what it's like inside, what beer is available, if it has a noisy juke box and is it heavy metal or techno, etc, etc,

I don't need some aggrieved prat seeking revenge by telling me she didn't like the way the steak was cooked or being told her brats were a nuisance especially the ones that end their rant with "AVOID".

This Space For Hire

I must admit those in depth critiques of the catering at chain pubs where nobody really cooks anything - the food comes off a Brake Bros lorry to be microwaved by some minimum wage kids - causes a wry grin; though there's little more point in writing it up than there is reviewing a McDonald's or KFC.

We are only getting one side of the story, why should I believe what they say?

A one off, subjective, winge tells me nothing except the writer was disappointed, I neither know nor care whither it was really due to poor food or service or, as the Northern Landlady's blog points out, just an idiot with bad manners, poor reading skills, unrealistic expectations or an inflated sense of their own importance. I'll make my own mind up thanks.

I don't take most people's opinions of the beer quality at face value either, it's another subjective judgement. I can sort out fact from opinion so I can look at a description and decide it may or may not be a pub I might enjoy, I want to know what it's like inside, what beer is available, if it has a noisy juke box and is it heavy metal or techno, etc, etc,

I don't need some aggrieved prat seeking revenge by telling me she didn't like the way the steak was cooked or being told her brats were a nuisance especially the ones that end their rant with "AVOID".
    I'm more than happy to whinge about a boring choice of beer. Is it really that different to someone complaining about the food? Your post also implies that only women complain about food, but maybe that's a Yorkshire thing!!!

Agree 100%. If the food rants are allowed to stay, it becomes harder to tell what the pub is really like. Have a look at these "reviews" on Trip Advisor. This pub has 64 reviews there, with responses from the landlord to a lot of them. Some are good, some are bad, but not one of them tells us what it's like in the bloody pub!
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    Agree 100%. If the food rants are allowed to stay, it becomes harder to tell what the pub is really like. Have a look at these "reviews" on Trip Advisor. This pub has 64 reviews there, with responses from the landlord to a lot of them. Some are good, some are bad, but not one of them tells us what it's like in the bloody pub!
    That's what we're here for!
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.