Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Whats this all about

Quote Originally Posted by Farway View Post
    There was some discussion about closed pubs some years back, Dave M thought it was fine, just for historic reasons and completeness, a sort of one stop pub site for all, good for search engines etc.

After the decision I added on myself a bit since
    I think it would be a good idea to have a separate PUG style historic pub area on the main site, I find it very interesting, but to add pubs that were levelled long before anyone reading this were alive, to a pub review site is in my opinion Ludicrous .

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    I've added quite a few of my photos of closed pubs to the Lost Pubs Project, and even added a few closed pubs that I've come across while out on my bike. As with all websites run by a small team on a voluntary basis, it's only as good as the information it receives, so I would encourage PuG members to get stuck in.
    I agree, an interesting site, a PUG historic area running alongside the current site, as mentioned above would be good, (as if Dave hasn't enough on his plate).
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Al 10000 View Post
    I have got a massive backlog of pubs to add to the site,that i went in in the 80s and 90s,some of these pubs were my regular haunts,but most were once only visits.

All pubs would come along with a photo and the date visited and the date i took the photo of the pub,there will also be either a list of beers on at the time of visit and more commonly a tied brewery that ran the pub.

Would members rather me leave adding these to the site.

I would also like to say,i do contribute to the Lost Pubs Project,but would prefer to add them to this site first,then if i have time i add pubs and photos the LPP.
    In my opinion if there's a review and/or a photo from a member, the pub should be added to Pubs Galore, even if it's subsequently been flattened for a motorway. So keep on adding those pubs, Al 10000!

If the pub building is still standing, so that it's recognisably a former pub and someone can go along to photograph it, I think it could be added to Pubs Galore even if no member has ever been in it to review it. Possibly it would be better on the Lost Pubs Project, though.

But if a pub was demolished several years before my grandfather was born, what on earth is it doing on this site?
    Come On You Hatters!

I have got a massive backlog of pubs to add to the site,that i went in in the 80s and 90s,some of these pubs were my regular haunts,but most were once only visits.

I think you should add your reviews if you can find the time!
    My only objection (and I don't really want to make a big song and dance about it) is adding new pubs that no longer exist simply because it seems so pointless and would be better directed at the LPP.

So should we delete pubs from the site if they are demolished or turned into a Tesco Express?
    WE ARE THE BREADMEN - UP THE BEES

Alan - I agree with the others above that you should continue to add your pubs. I don't think anyone was suggesting that in your case, where you've actually been in the pubs and have something to say about them, and even photographed them, there is no point in adding them.

There are obviously other occasions when adding long closed pubs is worth the effort, particularly when the original building is still standing and would presumably have some architectural merit and can be photographed. There are others where I wouldn't bother - what about the original (and incredibly famous) Tabard in Southwark, which the Victorians demolished back in the 1880s? I wouldn't bother - but that's just my opinion, and if others think that it's worth the effort then I really don't mind. It's just that I prefer to concentrate my efforts on reviewing open pubs. In fact there are several Central London pubs that have been gone for 40 years or so that I remember, and could say something about, and may get round to if I ever run out of open pubs! But what I do think is a waste of time is photographing the block of flats that have been built on the site of a long closed pub - but if others want to spend their time doing such things then that's up to them.

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

I find 30 yr-old 'reviews' to be a huge negative to the site; it just smacks of a personal recording of 'I've been here' but provides no view of what the current pub (if one exists) is like.
    I don't see an Al10000 review of, say, the Wellington in Birmingham, but his stance of not wishing to re-visit because he ticked it circa 1983 (and probably sampled a 'nice beer') is effin ludicrous! Pubs change! Recent reviews may be pertinent regarding that change, but stuff from another era when the beer world was sh1t, are simply detrimental to any pub guide site.

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    I find 30 yr-old 'reviews' to be a huge negative to the site; it just smacks of a personal recording of 'I've been here' but provides no view of what the current pub (if one exists) is like.
    I don't see an Al10000 review of, say, the Wellington in Birmingham, but his stance of not wishing to re-visit because he ticked it circa 1983 (and probably sampled a 'nice beer') is effin ludicrous! Pubs change! Recent reviews may be pertinent regarding that change, but stuff from another era when the beer world was sh1t, are simply detrimental to any pub guide site.
    Maybe you have a point, but I'm not sure that Pubs Galore is a "pub guide site", which would tend to undermine your argument a little. While I am on your side with regards to not revisiting a pub that I'd already "ticked" 30 years ago, I don't see Al's reviews of pubs visited in the 80s and 90s as "a huge negative". They provide a bit of interest and may even act as a stimulus to someone amongst our reviewers to go and see what that pub is like now, and provide an up to date review.

And as for "another era when the beer world was sh1t", I think you are suffering from a selective memory. The beer world was different then, obviously, and there are some innovative styles around today that weren't even dreamed of in the 1980s. But what about breweries like Shipstones and Boddingtons whose beers were widely available then but simply don't exist today, or at least not tasting anything like they used to. It's not all progress - and having a record of what it used to be like is useful.
    Come On You Hatters!

Yes,it's all part of the community thing:I quite often refer to beer and pub books dating back to before I could legally drink, and am on a half hearted mission to visit all of the remaining pubs of a small brewery that closed in the 1920's. (Winch of Cranbrook, as you asked.)
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Just stating my opinion. I don't find it helpful to know whether a pub sold beer from one of the 'big five' in the 70s/80s, or to see a closed pub in the listings unless it's in a separate tab and not interfering with current options. You don't think PG aspires to provide guidance on pubs?
    And, btw, thank goodness shipstones is no longer available. That's progress. I think you're being rather selective there too Will, you can't possibly be hankering to turn back the beer clock?

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

All pubs would come along with a photo and the date visited and the date i took the photo of the pub,there will also be either a list of beers on at the time of visit and more commonly a tied brewery that ran the pub.

I would also like to say,i do contribute to the Lost Pubs Project,but would prefer to add them to this site first,then if i have time i add pubs and photos the LPP.

From previous thread, it seems Conrad & Dave M would rather have them on here for completeness & search engine optimisation, but I will let them speak for themselves if they wish to
    I drink to make others more interesting