Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Whats this all about

Default Whats this all about

Just noticed on the main site a couple of reviews for the Cock & Crownand the Black Boy & Still ,stating that these pubs were demolished in the 1880's, if this is the case, how did they come to be added in the first place? Both added by the same reviewer by the way, I fail to see the point of this, historical interest maybe, but there are other sites for this.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Tris C isn't the only one putting ancient pubs on, The Crown Inn and The Country Man Inn both shut for years although not in the 1880s and this The Norfolk Arms I think shut in the 1920s - I could go on. Personally I don't see the point either unless it's a closed pub that may reopen.

On the other hand it doesn't really affect anything as closed pubs won't show up in searches or area lists unless you specifically select them and they don't show up on the maps at all. Maybe there is a limit to the number of pubs we can have on the site in which case they do need ridding out.

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    Just noticed on the main site a couple of reviews for the Cock & Crownand the Black Boy & Still ,stating that these pubs were demolished in the 1880's, if this is the case, how did they come to be added in the first place? Both added by the same reviewer by the way, I fail to see the point of this, historical interest maybe, but there are other sites for this.
    I have to agree that I don't see the point of this. I have noticed plenty of pubs that I have been to long ago that are not to be found here. Most of these are rural pubs owned by former regional brewers like Ridley's and Brakspear, although I do know of one Harvey's pub. Pub closures are nothing new, only the unprecedented scale of them in the last 20 or so years. Surely the priority should be to find working pubs not on the database and pubs not marked as closed that should be. If old closed pubs are going to keep being added where will it end?

Official PG MILD tester Soup Dragon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    I have to agree that I don't see the point of this. I have noticed plenty of pubs that I have been to long ago that are not to be found here. Most of these are rural pubs owned by former regional brewers like Ridley's and Brakspear, although I do know of one Harvey's pub. Pub closures are nothing new, only the unprecedented scale of them in the last 20 or so years. Surely the priority should be to find working pubs not on the database and pubs not marked as closed that should be. If old closed pubs are going to keep being added where will it end?
    Someone put a load on for Wolverhampton and Brum- I had them taken off - many in wolvo disappeared under the ring road in the 1960/70s. It isn't so bad if there is some context remark, saying it is closed - and/or a photo - however, putting on a pub that closed in 1880 with no photo or comment (other than marking it closed) is more for the lost pubs project in my opinion.
    MILD:

This Space For Hire

Agree I've remembered/discovered pubs lost in this century (2000+) around Bristol that have been demolished/converted with no intention of adding, once considered thoughtfully for the purpose of the site, as it serves no benefit. Some I made others I didn't. Plus with my OCD it would just waste my time correcting dead map points and taking pictures of what replaced them/the conversion etc.

As mentioned other sites are for this historical listing and these are generally covered on said sites.

I'll stay on me own

Quote Originally Posted by Soup Dragon View Post
    It isn't so bad if there is some context remark, saying it is closed - and/or a photo - however, putting on a pub that closed in 1880 with no photo or comment (other than marking it closed) is more for the lost pubs project in my opinion.
    Agreed, although I must admit to having added a couple that closed about a hundred years ago, but in both cases the building was largely unchanged and I consequently included a picture of them as well as a few brief notes.

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

There was some discussion about closed pubs some years back, Dave M thought it was fine, just for historic reasons and completeness, a sort of one stop pub site for all, good for search engines etc.

After the decision I added on myself a bit since
    I drink to make others more interesting

Personaly speaking, if I'm out and about taking photos of pubs and happen to notice a building with a best in the west plaque, I photograph the former pub and add it to Pubs Galore, because the building still exists. If an area needs updating and closed pubs are still listed, I try to photograph the site where the pub once stood (this is not always possible).
    I don't think it's worth adding pubs that closed decades ago and have since been demolished, it would take up far too much space. Someone has already mentioned The Lost Pubs Project, This is a fairly good (if not always accurate!) website to include these long forgotten pubs.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Grey View Post
    I don't think it's worth adding pubs that closed decades ago and have since been demolished, it would take up far too much space. Someone has already mentioned The Lost Pubs Project, This is a fairly good (if not always accurate!) website to include these long forgotten pubs.
    I've added quite a few of my photos of closed pubs to the Lost Pubs Project, and even added a few closed pubs that I've come across while out on my bike. As with all websites run by a small team on a voluntary basis, it's only as good as the information it receives, so I would encourage PuG members to get stuck in.
    Come On You Hatters!

I'll stay on me own

I have got a massive backlog of pubs to add to the site,that i went in in the 80s and 90s,some of these pubs were my regular haunts,but most were once only visits.

All pubs would come along with a photo and the date visited and the date i took the photo of the pub,there will also be either a list of beers on at the time of visit and more commonly a tied brewery that ran the pub.

Would members rather me leave adding these to the site.

I would also like to say,i do contribute to the Lost Pubs Project,but would prefer to add them to this site first,then if i have time i add pubs and photos the LPP.