Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Beer of the Week (w/e 8th December 2013)

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Thuck Phat View Post
    From the following:

Purity Saddle Black
    Marble Manchester
    Oakham Citra, Bishops Farewell
    Titanic Plum Porter
    Blackwater Holly Bush

It's between the Saddle Black, Purity's first black beer and the Holly Bush, brewed by Salopian's Blackwater. Similar in style with both being black, malty to start but with bitter enough finishes to make you want more. Judged to be porters by those who tried them but that may reflect more on the paunchy middle aged judges rather than the beers.
    BOTW Purity Saddle Black, just few more hops than the Holly Bush and flew the 3 pint test at 5.1%.
    Hi TP, in the last few weeks I have had Purity Warlord black 5.1 and Saddle Black 5.1 both very similar flavour but excellent. I wonder if its the same beer.I have also had Warlord ipa 5.0 another good beer from what is usually a boring brewer. cheers john

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

A quick visit to Ilkley, to take in the newly opened Flying Duck, before a more sedate wander round Skipton's finest, was the basis for this week's bibbing.

Tring - Tea Kettle.
    Okells - Manx Pale Ale.
    Ilkley - Crescent Ale.
    Nelson - Magnum.
    Wharfedale - Blonde.
    Dark Horse - Hetton Pale Ale.
    Great Heck - Treasure IPA.
    Holts - Two Hoots.
    Theakstons - Old Peculier.
    Thwaites - Yule love It.
    Dent - Porter.
    Thwaites - Benny and Hop. One for BABOTW.
    Saltaire - Pride.
    Moorhouses - Black Cat.
    Timothy Taylor - Dark Mild.

Some old favourites in there, but was really taken with the MPA. A lovely hoppy session beer, brewed with Galaxy and Citra. Great flavour for 3.6%.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Quote Originally Posted by aleandhearty View Post
    , before a more sedate wander round Skipton's finest
    Any particular recommendations in Skipton A&H? The last time I visited was around 18 months ago and we didn't venture much beyond the Royal Shepherd but I may be in the area around New Year.

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thuck Phat View Post
    Any particular recommendations in Skipton A&H? The last time I visited was around 18 months ago and we didn't venture much beyond the Royal Shepherd but I may be in the area around New Year.
    Hi TP. I was actually very impressed with the pubs we visited in Skipton. Not all of them were great on the beer front, but at least there was something on hand pull in each of them. The seven we tried were The Red Lion, Albion, Castle, Royal Shepherd, Narrow Boat, Cock & Bottle and the Woolly Sheep. If I had to pick just one, it would be the Narrow Boat - owned by the same people as Veritas in Leeds. However, the Red Lion was surprisingly good for a Greedy King house, having four guest ales in good nick, plus the Cock had some decent choices. The Woolly Sheep had the full range of Timothy Taylors. As it was three Saturdays before Christmas and market day, most were absolutely rammed, so it's hard to be too objective. However, if you take a punt on those mentioned I think you'll find something you like.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Thank you A&H, that's very useful especially as I am now definitely visiting the real ale haven that is Yorkshire.
    One of the highlights is a visit to the TT brewery followed by an attempt to drink my own body weight in Landlord at The Boltmakers.
    Thank you again, you've ensured that the festive season won't be marred by sub-standard pubs or ale.
    All the best, TP.

Loch Lomond Silkie Stout tried in The Baum of course.

A beautifully smooth stout, which at 5% was dangerously drinkable.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas