Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Us, and our dogs, or whatever pet rings your bell.....

Quote Originally Posted by an_ecumenical_matter View Post
    He'd be far friendlier at least than the Wellymoggy at the Wellington in Birmingham!!!! But maybe that cat just learned the unfriendly ways from the rest of the staff......
    I had a photos of that cat in my window gallery but deleted it! I'll try to take a snap of the cat next time I go to Welly..

A cat at White Horse, Harbourne is one of friendiest cat I ever came across and kept coming to me expect me to feed him/her!
    J.D Wetherspoon = Home of Hoppy: The Silk Kite, Tamworth.. http://www.tamworthblog.co.uk/2009/0...-blogs-review/

I must admit, if there is a dog or a cat in a pub I am usually among the first to cajole it in my direction for a stroke. Some people detest seeing animals in pubs (John Bonsor is notorious for his dislike of all things furry interfering with his pint) but I personally think it all adds to a pubs character when Fido is sniffing around for a half empty crisp packet or Tiddles struts about guarding his territory.

I can’t stand cats and be allergic to them doesn’t help. I normally cut my visit short if there is a cat present as the stay isn’t really worth the scratchy throat and wheezing. I don’t mind dogs as long as they are under control, a bit like kids and drunks really.
    WE ARE THE BREADMEN - UP THE BEES

Well, if the bureaucrats have their way, our pets will eventually be a thing of the past. Latest piece of rubbish from Whitehall about dogs is here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/8556195.stm

Trouble is it affects all dog owners, not just the irresponsible ones. Of course, I believe that the Government is doing this for our own good, and the thought of the extra revenue they will receive in VAT when 15 million dog owners take out compulsory dog insurance didn't cross their minds.

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Ok, since I mentioned the old boy Jasper, here he is on his ski-ing holiday in Les Gets. I don't ski, neither did he, we tagged along & walked down the mountain. Something of a surprise to a group of cross country skiers (ski de fond?) when they rounded a bend to find him with a fold-away water bowl & me with a can of beer & an English paper half way up/down the mountain. Also, later, with a young Mills who we like to think kept him going a bit longer.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	scan0040.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	366.4 KB 
ID:	194   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	milliejasp1.JPG 
Views:	134 
Size:	42.5 KB 
ID:	195  

Quote Originally Posted by ETA View Post
    Well, if the bureaucrats have their way, our pets will eventually be a thing of the past. Latest piece of rubbish from Whitehall about dogs is here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/8556195.stm

Trouble is it affects all dog owners, not just the irresponsible ones. Of course, I believe that the Government is doing this for our own good, and the thought of the extra revenue they will receive in VAT when 15 million dog owners take out compulsory dog insurance didn't cross their minds.
    I just saw it on the news and thought the same… disgraceful!

On a plus note my gran and granddad still look after my goldfish Fred and Charlie which I won at the fair when I was four. This makes them both 30 years old now, must be a record!
    WE ARE THE BREADMEN - UP THE BEES

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Quote Originally Posted by Strongers View Post
    I can’t stand cats and be allergic to them doesn’t help. I normally cut my visit short if there is a cat present as the stay isn’t really worth the scratchy throat and wheezing. I don’t mind dogs as long as they are under control, a bit like kids and drunks really.
    Just to say I agree with this 100%, in recent years my allergies have been in overdrive and a dog just has to look at me the wrong way and I am crying for the rest of the night, so under control is a bit of a must. I do agree a well behaved dog adds character though.

There was an interesting non-debate about this on the Today programme this morning, and Manky mentioned it in his blog last week so I have had a little time to think on it. Having heard the debate I am leaning towards the dog licence, whilst I take the point that those who don't care about such things will just ignore the law, the policeman on the Today program pointed out that at least in these cases they can now just confiscate the dogs rather than having to go through long and faulty legal processes. My view is also tainted by having known a few dogs that I didn't consider well cared for and I suspect a higher barrier to entry may at least reduce some of this casual miscaring.

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
    ...I am leaning towards the dog licence, whilst I take the point that those who don't care about such things will just ignore the law, the policeman on the Today program pointed out that at least in these cases they can now just confiscate the dogs rather than having to go through long and faulty legal processes.
    Yes, I can see the merits of this. The fee should be enough to cover the cost of administration and no more. Those people who claim they can't afford a modest fee probably wouldn't be able to afford a dog anyway. But I suspect that like every other fee-based scheme, it woudl soon be viewed as a way of topping up funding for other public services.

Sorry didn't mean to get political.
    Last edited by ETA; 09-03-2010 at 11:03. Reason: Afterthought.

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Yes, I can see the merits of this. The fee should be enough to cover the cost of administration and no more. Those people who claim they can't afford a modest fee probably wouldn't be able to afford a dog anyway. But I suspect that like every other fee-based scheme, it woudl soon be viewed as a way of topping up funding for other public services.

Sorry didn't mean to get political.
    It's a fair point, I just wish all taxes/bills were transparent, it gets on my nerves how they just find new names and excuses to mug you.

I should have said though, any licence should only be the cost of administration, when I said barrier to entry it wasn't about the money more about the taking the effort to be above board about your pet.

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

I suspect the dog chip idea will come to nought as a silver haired, forgetful, 90 year old granny is slung in jail for not having old Fido, age 18, chipped, whilst local chav with pit bull gets a ticking off