Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Us, and our dogs, or whatever pet rings your bell.....

Default Us, and our dogs, or whatever pet rings your bell.....

Threads about folk and their pets seem universally popular, regardless of site. So, I thought, why not here?
    Dogs have been my passion as long as I can remember. One of the penalties of growing 'old' is that I realise far more dogs have gone before than are still to come. Given that, here is 'Boy', the first dog I can truly call mine own.
    He was a Morrocan bred Malinois that I rescued from an idiot of an owner who had no idea what he had got. At two years old he weighed less than 30lb and couldn't walk a mile without resting.
    In truth he was magnificent. I had three RAF police dogs during my time in the service, I would have, and on a couple of occasions did, trust my life to any of the three. Boy eclipsed them all. When with Boy, evil feared us.
    The first pic shows Boy after I'd had him for three months, the last about a week before he died. The one in the middle is of him and Mrs 'rd'. It is blurred, nowt I can do about that, but it is probably my favourite photo of all those I've taken.

Ps As you may notice I've managed to reverse the picsthe Beast is gone
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1977 07 30 00..JPG 
Views:	200 
Size:	555.8 KB 
ID:	179   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1968 06 30 00..JPG 
Views:	213 
Size:	1.10 MB 
ID:	180   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1966 06 26 02..jpg 
Views:	211 
Size:	425.4 KB 
ID:	181  
    Last edited by runningdog; 08-03-2010 at 23:05.
    Pubs are a hobby, real ale is a passion. Oh, and like me dogs, fear no evil..........

SInce I've always had dogs, and have frequently been the subject of speciesist abuse and discrimination because of it, I can sympathise.

How many times are we told we can't take dogs into our local because:

"They're unhygienic" - by someone who clearly hasn't showered or changed their clothes in living memory?
    "They're a trip hazard" - by the owner of an unruly child?
    "We serve food" - in a place where the chef/cook/slop jockey is wearing filthy whites and has dirty nails?
    "They smell" - not as much as you do to them?

I always ask before taking my dog in, and most publicans, to be fair, are OK with it.

The best answers, and probably the most honest, are:

"Because it's my pub and my rules" - appreciate the frankness.
    "We have our own dog(s)/cat/rabbit/wildebeest* and don't want any trouble" - again, fair enough as not all dogs are as tolerant of other animals as mine.

*Delete as applicable.

{Steps back to watch the fur fly}

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Two Welshies, 7 & going on 3. These were taken in France Aug08 so Polly (the taller one) must've been just one at the time. Millie has a degenerative eye condition & her sight's almost gone but she's still reasonably chirpy. The grumpy old boy went 3yrs ago (nearly 16) so Polly was bought as company for Mills. At £800 a pup, maybe she should've had a litter before being 'done'!

Name:	2008-Aug 057.jpg 
Views:	224 
Size:	1.25 MB 
ID:	182   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2008-Aug 081.jpg 
Views:	199 
Size:	891.2 KB 
ID:	183   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2008-Aug 002.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	792.5 KB 
ID:	184  

We used to have 3 cats . The last one (Mabbs) died in July (aged 18) and I still really miss her. Every time I go downstairs or get in from work I still expect her to come leaping at me with claws outstretched - I was always her favourite scratching post. I couldn't have any more pets - too much hassle when we go away. Now I just talk to the chilli plants growing in my bathroom.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100-0008_IMG..JPG 
Views:	229 
Size:	93.8 KB 
ID:	199 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00225..JPG 
Views:	230 
Size:	740.4 KB 
ID:	198
    No's 2 and 3 - Lynx & Mabbs
    Last edited by RogerB; 09-03-2010 at 19:51.

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    Two Welshies, 7 & going on 3.
    Lookin at Millies' ears, I guess she's a terrier thru and thru. I've popped the youngsters pic on me screen saver, I see that it's No. 4922..........
    Pubs are a hobby, real ale is a passion. Oh, and like me dogs, fear no evil..........

Quote Originally Posted by RogerB View Post
    Every time I go downstairs or get in from work I still expect her to come leaping at me with claws outstretched
    Know what you mean, MrB. Boy became the ghost at the top of the stairs. To me, ghosts are things that should be there and aren't..........

As Devine Comedy puts it:

"...Every horse has its year and every dog its day, my son
    So the only thing to feel sad about is
    All the dogs and the horses you'll have to outlive

...But as the curtains close and the last prayers are said
    All my dogs and my horses appear round my bed
    They have come to say one last goodbye "

A cheery thought for a Tuesday morning.

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RogerB View Post
    and I still really miss her.
    Yes, it's a heartbreaker for sure. When we were left with no choice but to take the old fella to the vet for the last time it was shattering. Got very drunk very quickly that night...

Quote Originally Posted by runningdog View Post
    Lookin at Millies' ears, I guess she's a terrier thru and thru.
    They've both got fantastic temperaments rd, but M's ears are a fault in a Welsh - they should be forward & flat to the head. Not that we ever considered showing these two - too many faults but, like all pet owners, we wouldn't swap 'em.

BTW, another thread mentioned Billy, a Jack Russell. Reminded me of the splendid Cow & Plough in Oadby where the Steamin Billy beer range is named after the owner's Jack Russell & the dog appears in various pictorial adventures on the pumpclips.

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    When we were left with no choice but to take the old fella to the vet for the last time it was shattering.
    Fortunately I have never had to make that decision. Cat No 1 disappeared - we never found out what happened to him - he was almost blind and getting on and probably just knew his tiime was up so wandered off to a quiet place in someone's garden. No's. 2 & 3 both went downhill very rapidly, No 2 died sitting my lap as we were trying to call a vet late at night and No 3 was fine in the morning when we went out for the day. Came back and she was tucked away under a table with very little strength. Wasn't even interested in her favourite Marmite. I half knew she wouldn't last the night and I didn't sleep a wink. Got up extra early and she was gone. The house has felt half empty ever since.

Elivis is the king,but alas he lives with my ex. He's never been to the pub,but I'm sure he'd get on well. He'd be far friendlier at least than the Wellymoggy at the Wellington in Birmingham!!!! But maybe that cat just learned the unfriendly ways from the rest of the staff......

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	puppies 013..jpg 
Views:	239 
Size:	83.7 KB 
ID:	193

Name:	20022009358..jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	556.8 KB 
ID:	189   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pics_002..jpg 
Views:	193 
Size:	86.4 KB 
ID:	190   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	elvis_014..jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	52.1 KB 
ID:	191   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	baby_birds_048..jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	126.5 KB 
ID:	192  
    Last edited by an_ecumenical_matter; 09-03-2010 at 08:51.