Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A brief history of PuG crawls.

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Default A brief history of PuG crawls.

I always feel that one of the (many) great features of Pubsgalore are the frequent pub crawls that the members organise.I thought it worth noting down the list of past venues, hopefully the list will continue to grow as the years progress.I also thought it would be useful for new forum contributors to be aware of past venues when discussing future targets for these very sociable meet ups.It would be good to encourage new attendees.The more ,the merrier.

I have looked back to crawls advertised on the forum where at least 3 PuGers have met up,but please put me right if I have missed any out,I recall a tour of Bath but unsure if it was "official".

12th November -- Birmingham
    22nd November -- The Falcon,Clapham Junction

6th Feb -- Bath
    1st July -- Winchester and Cheriton
    19th October -- Leytonstone
    11th November -- Nottingham

2nd March -- Liverpool
    30th March -- Norwich
    25th May -- Carshalton
    5th October -- Black Country Coach Tour

22nd March -- Leicester
    13th July -- Reading
    24th July -- Otley
    22nd November -- Leeds

8th February -- London (Liverpool Street,Bethnal Green Road,Hoxton and Islington)
    21st March -- Worcester
    13th June -- Rugby
    14th July -- Sheffield - A birthday crawl for Will
    14th November -- Bristol

27th March -- York
    17th July -- St Albans
    13th November -- Derby

18th March -- Hull
    22nd July -- Oxford
    18th November -- Huddersfield

25th March -- London Bus Route 38,Clapton - Angel.
    23rd June -- Wellington and stations towards Wolverhampton.
    17th November -- Stockport

23rd March -- Brighton
    15th June -- Newcastle under Lyme
    12th October -- Manchester

29th March -- Portsmouth
    12th July -- Sheffield
    18th October -- Shrewsbury

15th October -- Birmingham 10th Anniversary

22nd April -- Preston
    15th July -- Winchester
    14th October -- Burton upon Trent

14th April -- Norwich
    7th July -- Harrogate
    Last edited by Bucking Fastard; 06-08-2023 at 12:42. Reason: Added last crawl.
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Excellent idea, BF. It'll be really handy to have a concise point of reference.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Official PG MILD tester Soup Dragon's Avatar

I assume a formal gathering is one advertised here - but what constitues and do we have a list of 'informal' gatherings?
    MILD:

Quote Originally Posted by Soup Dragon View Post
    I assume a formal gathering is one advertised here - but what constitues and do we have a list of 'informal' gatherings?
    Soupy I was just trying to list those meet ups that were advertised on the forum and attracted a good number of PuG folk.I thought this might be useful for forum members who have joined more recently,or possibly members who haven't attended one of the PuG crawls so that they are aware of past venues and can take part fully in the lively discussion of future venues, with that knowledge on board.

Official PG MILD tester Soup Dragon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post
    Soupy I was just trying to list those meet ups that were advertised on the forum and attracted a good number of PuG folk.I thought this might be useful for forum members who have joined more recently,or possibly members who haven't attended one of the PuG crawls so that they are aware of past venues and can take part fully in the lively discussion of future venues, with that knowledge on board.
    Sorry Captain - i was just pulling your leg about it!

I didn't realise there had been so many 'official' crawls!
    MILD:

Quote Originally Posted by Soup Dragon View Post
    I didn't realise there had been so many 'official' crawls!
    What constitutes an "official" crawl? I would suggest it's one that is planned well in advance to give members from around the country a) enough advance warning to commit themselves and b) the chance to get the best train ticket deals they can.

Clearly something like the Otley trip on 24 July was not "official" in this sense, as it was a) a bit of an afterthought and b) limited to those who could get there on the day relatively cheaply. (That was me, Ale&Hearty, Old Boots and a couple of my Sheffield mates, plus the surprise addition of Trainman, who found himself with a bit of time on his hands and, perhaps more importantly, a train ticket burning a hole in his pocket.)

I suspect that most of the others mentioned by BF have been similarly low key affairs. I went to the Leytonstone crawl as I happened to be in London, and met Pubsignman, Trainman, Rex Rattus, Just a quick pint and I'm off, Roger B and Paul of Horsham - almost met Malden Man as well, but his train was severely delayed. The "official" Nottingham trip had been much longer in the planning and was just three weeks later, so by the above criteria Leytonstone would have to be "unofficial".

In my mind the "official" PuG meet ups have been Birmingham, Nottingham, Liverpool, Leicester, Reading and Leeds. Possibly the Black Country bus trip too. Does it matter? As BF says, this thread is about letting members know about where we've already been so that any future discussion about meet ups is an informed discussion. Speaking of which, is it Worcester next?
    Come On You Hatters!

This Space For Hire gillhalfpint's Avatar

All being well, we still plan to have a mosey round Worcester on Saturday. Years since I have been round the pubs, so will let you know how we get on.
    Alcohol doesn't solve problems .... but then again, neither does milk.

I have created a fairly simple spreadsheet, not much more than a list really, of the pub crawls listed in the first post on this thread. No doubt some would like to argue about which crawls were Official and which Unofficial, likewise over North/South/Midlands (#geographygalore), though I hope not Spring/Summer/Autumn.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    I have created a fairly simple spreadsheet, not much more than a list really, of the pub crawls listed in the first post on this thread. No doubt some would like to argue about which crawls were Official and which Unofficial, likewise over North/South/Midlands (#geographygalore), though I hope not Spring/Summer/Autumn.
    That's helpful Will,and I agree with your Unofficial category which were all a while ago .Some of those unofficial locations should be considered for an Official crawl at some stage.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post
    Some of those unofficial locations should be considered for an Official crawl at some stage.
    Completely agree. Especially Norwich, which is a fantastic city for pubs, but with the disadvantage of being rather out on a limb.
    Come On You Hatters!