Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Who remembers outside toilets.

They seem to be very rare down South. Most of them used to be at the remote rural pubs owned by the likes of Brakspear, King & Barnes and Ridleys. Around twenty years ago I seem to recall K&B having a campaign to "upgrade" their few remaining houses with oustside toilets. I believe the last pub I visited with a semi outside Gents was the infamous Mill Inn at Aberystwyth.

I'll stay on me own

Quote Originally Posted by bcfczuluarmy View Post
    The Trotter Inn

Cotham Porter Stores

The Crown Inn

Miners Rest

To name a few I'm aware of after recent visits. Blackthorn will be along soon to add some more.

By outside I assume you mean not within the actual building without going outside to get to them and they are covered and not equating to finding the closest tree?
    The only other one that immediately springs to mind is The Blue Flame Inn

Sadly landlord Mick has passed away since my review, but the pub is now being run by his daughter.

I remember outside toilets very well as I have just left my local The Sun at Rhewl, Llangollen.
    The new landlord has recently added hot water and we even get a toilet roll now.

When I used to drink in Stockport in the 1970's - 90's, it was reknown as having the highest propotion of outside toilets in the country. Long time GBG entry, The Crown, used to have a description, "Awsome view of the viaduct from the outside Gents".
    Women often go into the gents to look at the "Awsome view" (but I'm not sure they look at the viaduct!)

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

I think the outside toilets at the Red Lion Inn in Alnmouth win the prize for being the furthest from the bar. Any more distant and you'd need to take a round of sandwiches with you, in case you got hungry on the way! Cracking pub though.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

The Old Town Hall Vaults has toilets outside which are the only listed (not leaning) outside toilets in the country. http://www.joulesbrewery.co.uk/pubs/...ails.php?id=11

Great pub with great beer but had a really strange encounter with the barmaid but don't want to go off topic.
    From the home of the kebab of doom

Quote Originally Posted by aleandhearty View Post
    I think the outside toilets at the Red Lion Inn in Alnmouth win the prize for being the furthest from the bar. Any more distant and you'd need to take a round of sandwiches with you, in case you got hungry on the way! Cracking pub though.
    Quite!

Quote Originally Posted by Blackthorn View Post

Sadly landlord Mick has passed away since my review, but the pub is now being run by his daughter.
    Ah yes, The Blue Flame, in the middle of the levels a true gem.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Blackthorn View Post

How could I have forgot the Flame been going there for years. LL died a about March 2012 from memory/reading in paper iirc. About time for a return visit me thinks last visit was January 5th 2013. Subtle upgrades/changes looked like they were being implemented hope they haven't stolen the true character of the place.

The Fox Also has some after a revisit yesterday.
    Last edited by bcfczuluarmy; 25-11-2013 at 22:57.

I'll stay on me own

I've just found another one, for the gents at least. The ladies have the luxury of staying inside the pub.

Butchers Arms

Attachment 997

The landlord swears this is a protected ancient monument

You can enjoy this edifice at The Crown Hotel