Ads not shown when logged in
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Beer of the Week (w/e 14 Mar 2010)

Quote Originally Posted by ROBCamra View Post
    If I buy a pint of Joseph Holts around here in it's homeland it's less than £2 a pint, so £3 makes me go

Had a few rather nondescript beers in The Baum last night. Nothing wrong with how they were kept, just not really outstanding beers.

Greenfield Gold is OK as is Slaters Why Not but not brilliant.

Moorhouses Black Witch is simply a mix of Pendle Witches Brew and Black Cat so it's not great, although both are good beers in their own right.

Best of the bunch was back to the monkeys. Organ Grinder from Brass Monkey again.

It won't win though it's not that good.
    Had a fine pint of Joey Holts Lightning Holt last night but that was surpassed by Hawkshead Organic Stout.

It's the new leader so far but as I'm out tonight AND Saturday.......
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RogerB View Post
    Popped in for 'Spoons curry last night and they still had last week's BotW Salopian, Prohibition. I can't really have it as a winner 2 weeks running so I'm hoping St Albans will throw something into the hat tomorrow.

I was wondering how much a particlular pub influences people's BotW. If I have 2 nominations I can't decide between, I must admit I go for the one I had in the more respectable and street cred pub! Maybe it's just me.
    I had this problem a few weeks ago so i went for the one in the pub where the barmaid had the better legs (pervs galore returns)
    Theres a Man with a Mullet going Mad with a Mallet in Millets !

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

OK quite week , Red Squirel BPSA , Purple Moose Calon Lan , Brains SA gold , Woods Twistgrip , Beowulf Finns Hall Porter , Bankss Original and Brunning&Price Original .
    Hard choice B&P Original one of my favorites , Red Squirel full of flavour for 3.8% , Beowulf gourgeous , Purple Moose and Brains both fantastic but i will be patriotic to Shropshire , so Woods Twistgrip it is
    Theres a Man with a Mullet going Mad with a Mallet in Millets !

This Space For Hire gillhalfpint's Avatar

Having just spent 3 days at the excellent Leicester festival, and knowing I won't be drinking tomorrow, I will go with one of the 2 excellent brown ales I had today.

Saltaire Bulldog Brown went down very well at 4.8%, but so did the Tring Signal Box Brown Ale at 4.1%. Will choose the Saltaire as beer of the week though.

In spite of drinking in pubs 6 days out of seven this week its been a bit thin for good beers, only two stand out as being anything but mediocre and that includes my first taste of Bengal Lancer. The two in question are, Exmoor Beast drunk in JDW Winchester and Brass Monkey's Very Mild Monkey drunk in Knaresborough, I am going for the Brass Monkey but it's a close thing.

Only in the one pub this week, and only the one beer, but as it is such a cracker I have to nominate Harvey's Sussex Best Bitter.It 's in danger of becoming ubiquitous here in the southeast,but in my book it is one of the top beers in the UK:deep and rich, malty and dry.It does not appear to have altered from the beer we used to travel miles for back in the 70s and 80s. Please don't let it go down the Wadworth 6X or Timothy Taylor Landlord route!

My BOTW goes to Mordue Workie Ticket - a great malty pint with a bit of caramel that was on in Croydon's Green Dragon earlier in the week. Not a beer I've seen much of down here unfortunately.

Also enjoyed Skinners Figgy's Brew, which would have been a worthy winner most other weeks.

Wandering, or wondering, or wandering in.

A few good contenders yesterday but the winner this week is Oakham Ales Bishops Farewell.

Having negotiated my way around 11 pubs of St Albans on Saturday as well as my normal local offerings, I have plenty of options this week. Since I like hoppy beers the obvious one that stood out was the new Sharp's seasonal 6 Hop IPA that was joyously sunk at the Lower Red Lion in St Albans. I don't think Sharps have ever made a bad beer and this one continues the trend.

Wandering, or wondering, or wandering in.

Quote Originally Posted by RogerB View Post
    Having negotiated my way around 11 pubs of St Albans on Saturday
    Hi Roger, I'll be interested to hear what you thought of St Albans' pubs, especially the Blacksmiths Arms if you got there. They have a special 'Hoppy' Easter beer festival on 1-5 April where they'll be having a lot of heavily hopped beers.