Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pub Of The Month - November 2013

Default Pub Of The Month - November 2013

A pub is for life not just for Christmas

"Do I know where hell is? hell is in hello"

Get some gravy on it. Maldenman's Avatar
    Motspur Park or whichever pub I happen to be in at the time.

I don't usually partake of this thread however The Sir Loin Of Beef was excellent and worthy of inclusion here. Some very good pubs in the immediate area.
    Ok, maybe just for one......................

In spite of visits to Leeds, York and Halifax it's a great Derby pub that gets my vote this month

Furnace Inn

Cant see past the Nags Head this month,an very enjoyable Saturday afternoon session at the start of the month yielded eight new beers to me and all ranged from very good to excellent across a wide range of beer styles.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

My POTM is the The Door Hinge in Welling. Being here reminded me somewhat of visiting the Apple Tree Cider House at Halmore near Berkeley on the Severn Estuary getting on for thirty years ago. The elderly woman Mrs Smith that ran it served the cider from the kitchen of her house for 24p a pint (mid 80s prices) and she apologised as she had just put the prices up from 20p.
    Sadly the prices here are somewhat higher than that being roughly the same as Central London Spoons. The room is a bit bigger than Mrs Smith’s kitchen, but there is only seating for a couple of dozen people.
    The owner is a genial chap who rather reminded me of the TV presenter Dominic Littlewood but sadly there was no Melinda Messenger clone to accompany him. There isn’t much else in this area other than Spoons and a couple of other GBG pubs in Bexley and Bexleyheath. I would come here again and possibly fit one of those into the visit. I forgot to find out why it’s called the Door Hinge, rhyming slang maybe?

If this doesn't make it into the 2015 GBG then I'll start drinking Heineken.

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

There were lots of great pubs on the PuG crawl,but the one that stood out for me,again,was good old Whitelocks First City Luncheon Bar.A very worthy POTM.
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/74105/: The Tiger at Stowting a pub hithertofor unvisited by PUG. A classic village pub,owned by a consortium of villagers.Plain and simpler,good beer and food and that conviviality that we all seek, and rarely find. Oh, and the front is emblazoned in brick,"Mackeson's Hythe Ales and Stouts", or words to that effect.
    Last edited by Wittenden; 01-12-2013 at 23:27. Reason: couldn't get the link to work properly
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.

The Old Vine, Winchester for me. Not one for the traditionalists as it's more of a gastrobar but does have an excellent and well kept beer selection and great location overlooking the cathedral close.

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Only a couple of new pubs visited this month. As with fellow Leeds venue Friends of Ham, the White Cloth Gallery challenges what a drinking space can be. The jury's still out on the beer quality, but I loved the feel of the place.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.