Ads not shown when logged in

Thread: To publish, or not to publish?

Default To publish, or not to publish?

I'm just wondering what contributors to Pubs Galore think about publishing certain photos on the main site?

For example, I recently photographed a pub in Gloucestershire that has a rare pub sign bracket, I was unaware of the rarity of the sign at the time of photographing it. It was only when I read about the history of the pub, that I discovered the situation. I decided not to published the photos, because of the increasing interest in the value of pub memrobillia.

Another example is publishing photos of pubs that have been boarded up. Nowadays, I tend to wait a certain length of time before publishing such images, because these abandoned premises are prime targets for thieves, vandals and urban explorers. I myself have contributed photos to some Urban Exploration sites in the past, however a minority of people spoil it for others who want to record and preserve our architectural history.

Having said this though, it is one of my ambitions to own a pub sign and a Best in the West plaque - legally acquired of course.

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

I never even thought about it TBH, I just publish

Regarding pub signs, I am very envious of a neighbour who managed to rescue the large metal Gales brewery HSB sign from the brew tower at Horndean when it was chucked the skip and now owns it

You can see it here on the brick tower behind Ship & Bell Hotel
    I drink to make others more interesting

Official PG MILD tester Soup Dragon's Avatar

If i may offer a viewpoint, as a professional in the heritage world.

I would publish the photos - believe me, any would-be thief will already know the place is boarded-up and has already likely stripped the lead etc! Further, we should be celebrating our heritage instead of hiding it away, out of fear. Too many historical things have already gone and no visual record remains at all (as there was once no means of sharing such pictures and old photos that lurked in granny's collection tend to get chucked out when granny dies).

Just as an aside; the chap doesn't own the sign, the brewery (or successor) still do. The saving of historic material from skips and other provenance issues are something i deal with quite a lot!
    MILD:

Sounds interesting, care to point me in the right direction?

This Space For Hire

I'm intrigued to know if I've been to pub with rare bracket.

Regarding boarded/closed pubs no issue with adding and as said anybody in know if inclined would already have been in. I doubt would be criminals look on here for closed pubs to go and raid.

Quote Originally Posted by Soup Dragon View Post
    If i may offer a viewpoint, as a professional in the heritage world.

I would publish the photos - believe me, any would-be thief will already know the place is boarded-up and has already likely stripped the lead etc! Further, we should be celebrating our heritage instead of hiding it away, out of fear. Too many historical things have already gone and no visual record remains at all (as there was once no means of sharing such pictures and old photos that lurked in granny's collection tend to get chucked out when granny dies).

Just as an aside; the chap doesn't own the sign, the brewery (or successor) still do. The saving of historic material from skips and other provenance issues are something i deal with quite a lot!
    I have to agree with everything Soupy says.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Quote Originally Posted by bcfczuluarmy View Post
    I'm intrigued to know if I've been to pub with rare bracket.
    www.gloucestershirepubs.co.uk

Thanks everyone.