Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Quest For an Abbot's Confession,

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post

I liked the Tittanic Cappuccino, but would call it a Coffee Porter rather than a dry stout.
    Iv'e just had that and agree ,I liked it but more like a porter.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Tried another couple on Saturday.

Ninkasi Cream Ale tasted of virtually nothing,certainly not creamy.Just a stock straw coloured brew,my guess is that the American brewers recipe was just ignored by Caledonian Brewery.

Fat Head's Sunshine Daydream. Another poor one,rather more typical of the output from Batemans where it was brewed ,than something created by a US micro.

Gave up on the festival ales after that and went on to the real stuff.Decided to have a drink off between Dark Star Green Hopped IPA and Oakham Green Devil IPA.An excellent way to sink three pints.The winner ,the third pint ,was BOTW.
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    Iv'e just had that and agree ,I liked it but more like a porter.
    Yes I have to agree,my description of it as a dry stout was off beam.The bitterness pushed it into the porter category .Mea culpa.
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post
    Tried another couple on Saturday.

Ninkasi Cream Ale tasted of virtually nothing,certainly not creamy.Just a stock straw coloured brew,my guess is that the American brewers recipe was just ignored by Caledonian Brewery.

Fat Head's Sunshine Daydream. Another poor one,rather more typical of the output from Batemans where it was brewed ,than something created by a US micro.

Gave up on the festival ales after that and went on to the real stuff.Decided to have a drink off between Dark Star Green Hopped IPA and Oakham Green Devil IPA.An excellent way to sink three pints.The winner ,the third pint ,was BOTW.
    I would agree with that generally. A lot of the paler American ones were rather bland. The best of the American ones were 21st Amendment, Ballast Point, Terrapin, Elysian (if in good nick) and way above the rest the Stone Black IPA.

New ones tried this week that were good were the Caledonian Porter, Evan Evans Gold, Cotleigh Lemon Ale, Strathaven Claverhouse and the best one the Mordue Oatmeal Stout. Low ponts were the Traditional Scottish Ales ROK IPA and the Liberation EPA both of which were extremely bland.

I've had 37 but I can't see any prospect of doing all 50 without a return visit to the Wibbas Down and that's unlikely. I know I'll get to 38 as there's a Purity Longhorn in Chingford.

Official PG MILD tester Soup Dragon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Quinno View Post
    The Hazelnut Chocolate Brownie is AMAZING
    It turned my stomach
    MILD:

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

I ordered a third, 76p at Elephant, but only managed about a quarter of that. An earlier description of a liquid hazelnut chocolate brownie was correct - maybe heated up as a bedtime drink, otherwise not for me. And it took a few other (different) pints to de-coat my tongue, it sticks with you when you just want to move on...

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    I ordered a third, 76p at Elephant, but only managed about a quarter of that. An earlier description of a liquid hazelnut chocolate brownie was correct - maybe heated up as a bedtime drink, otherwise not for me. And it took a few other (different) pints to de-coat my tongue, it sticks with you when you just want to move on...
    I enjoyed a pint of it as my first one on my main Spoons crawl last week and that was before 10:00!
    I think I've tried it in three different Spoons now.